DugaldIC

Aston Martin Vantage GT3 (instructions and parts list now available, thank you Thorsten50)

I've been starting on the bodywork and have added a quick clip of a flush mounted door mechanism. I'll periodically add bits until it's done, enjoy :wink:

33863249081_ed2b09ab0b_c.jpg

(Above pic is a link to video) 

This is my current supercar WIP. It has fully independent suspension, torsion bar, cantilevered front, typical rear, and sway bars. steering with attached steering wheel one servo, drive 2x XL, custom miniature V12 engine on an AWD chassis with a remote driven four speed sequential gearbox powered by an M motor. Race jacks with remote compressor, adjustable rear wing, tilt steering wheel, pedals with feedback, adjustable with single lever tilt and slide seats.

Photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHskUraaNt

33740761612_9d1c2edb5c_b.jpg

33740760952_a01fc67817_b.jpg

33897049695_5fbb8c2d24_b.jpg

33856133256_3de814c544_b.jpg

33897045175_8ba3f7042b_b.jpg

33897043755_54c2d9154a_b.jpg

33897043195_0f7ceaab71_b.jpg

33083967713_59a06eb5fa_b.jpg

33053712394_e5f057cce6_b.jpg

33053713414_d672dfe913_b.jpg

33053711644_80209911f7_b.jpg

Flush mounted door hinge operation by Dugald Cameron, on Flickr

Let me know what you think!

Video edit and teardown to follow! 

Edited by DugaldIC

Materpiece!!! Great quality build . I like how you did the head-rests on the seats :) .And it is a race car , AWD askes for audi but v12 doesn't so much.

5 hours ago, efferman said:

panoz?

Unfortunately no, good guess but not it. However my boss did write one off while racing haha :p 

4 hours ago, technic_addict said:

Amazing work on the chassis!  Lots of goodies packed in there!

The top view makes the rear wing look massive compared to the car.

Thanks Technic addict, it does look massive however amazingly in scale to the car I'm doing ;)! 

4 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

Pagani?

Good guess as pagani always uses v12s however never in a front engine configuration. 

4 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

How is the drive performance?

Thanks Jeroen, it drives quite well! It's the first gearbox I've gotten to work properly especially with drive/size of the build. The video has been updated with driving at the end, we got lucky with weather clearing up got a quick shot or two in despite the snow ;). 

3 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

An excellent chassis with some great functions. How well does it drive? I'll admit I have no idea what it is going to be... :grin:

Thanks Leonardo, it drives great and you can check out the updated video with driving at the end. I guess you'll have to keep guessing then! 

1 hour ago, IA creations said:

Materpiece!!! Great quality build . I like how you did the head-rests on the seats :) .And it is a race car , AWD askes for audi but v12 doesn't so much.

Thanks AI, I've spent a lot of time and detail in building this creation so far. I really hope you enjoy the bodywork as much as the framework! I like your thoughts as well but you answered your own question, audi doesn't make a v12 ;) good guess. 

1 hour ago, Aventador2004 said:

Very cool and as always, xl motors!!!!!

Thanks! Xls are definitely the way to go with builds thuis size! 

"Always use xl motors!!!!" is my line for big cars.

Is that a buwizz below

IMG_6780

Edited by Aventador2004

Guessing AMRC stands for Aston Martin Race Car...maybe a Vantage GT3? :tongue:

Great work on the chassis so far, look forward to seeing more :classic: 

I was going to say the Vulcan, but I think @VKTechnic has got it with the Vantage GT3 (or possibly GTE). Either way, it looks really good so far, you manage to squeeze more and more into your chassis with each new car.

Great to see this end up in a WIP topic! A lot of function and I love to see someone else building such a rigid chassis :thumbup:. Well done!

I would like to see more details of the motorized sequential shifter :wink:.

4 hours ago, VKTechnic said:

Guessing AMRC stands for Aston Martin Race Car...maybe a Vantage GT3? :tongue:

There is an issue: I don't know any GT3 Race-car with AWD. So i doubt it. And DugaldIC very nice chassis. I always wonder how you guys keep your measurements corresponding to the car? Espacilly when constructing the suspension systems

That's An amazing chassis. I love the functions of it and plus i love how you made the pedals have movement. With a spoiler that big I hope it's definitely a GT3 car or some kind of other racing car.

Somehow car chassis have something cool about them, but this is another level.

Awesome job so far.

Love the route for the spoiler adjustment - goes everywhere!

Curious for the final result...

I am a huge fan of this build. What most people don't know is the time and thought that went into this build so far. This build has been hands down the most advanced frame Dug has built. I've seen a touch of the bodywork panelling for this build and let me tell you, I'm excited to see the final result. Another feature some may have overlooked is the suspension style. To provide the perfect suspension with only 1 shock per wheel with equal tension is so difficult yet this build pulls it off beautifully. Congrats bro, keep it up!

12 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Is that a buwizz below? 

You sir are correct, I had put this build on hold a while as I waited for it to arrive. I designed it specifically to test out the buwizz! 

10 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Is it roughly the same size as the Porsche?

Thanks! I'm glad you like it, i don't know the dimensions of the Porsche off by heart but it is probably pretty similar. 

10 hours ago, VKTechnic said:

Guessing AMRC stands for Aston Martin Race Car...maybe a Vantage GT3? 

You sir are bang on!!! Ding ding ding, we have a winner ;)! AMRC was quick code for Aston Martin Racecar 

6 hours ago, Jay Psi said:

I was going to say the Vulcan, but I think @VKTechnic has got it with the Vantage GT3 (or possibly GTE). Either way, it looks really good so far, you manage to squeeze more and more into your chassis with each new car.

Thanks Jay!! I really tried to tuck away a lot of features on this build. Good guess with the Vulcan, I was considering it but I just love the gt3 style astons! 

5 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Great to see this end up in a WIP topic! A lot of function and I love to see someone else building such a rigid chassis :thumbup:. Well done!

I would like to see more details of the motorized sequential shifter :wink:.

Thanks Didumos, I was thinking the same thing but it is so far tucked away I'll have to get some pics during the teardown. A break down basics of the gear box is the 8880 gearbox,  Gearing reconfigured and shifted using short linkage arms with a very modified version of your stepper squeezed into the centre console along with the m-motor powering it all. I hope that makes sense?! 

I also had inspiration for the robust framework from your awesome hammerhead build ;) 

5 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

There is an issue: I don't know any GT3 Race-car with AWD. So i doubt it. And DugaldIC very nice chassis. I always wonder how you guys keep your measurements corresponding to the car? Espacilly when constructing the suspension systems

You're very right about Astons not being Awd but this being 4.7 pounds in framework I added Awd early on to help with the driving. I figure by the time I'm done it'll be around 6+ and that's a lot of weight to be pushing via the rear wheels.  I'll give you a hint about keeping the measurements when building, Sariels scaler ( http://scaler.sariel.pl)! It's a life savor!

5 hours ago, Kmuffin said:

That's An amazing chassis. I love the functions of it and plus i love how you made the pedals have movement. With a spoiler that big I hope it's definitely a GT3 car

Thanks, I'm glad you like the tiny details and that they haven't gone unnoticed!  It's definitely a GT3 car! 

4 hours ago, captainmib said:

Somehow car chassis have something cool about them, but this is another level. Awesome job so far. Love the route for the spoiler adjustment - goes everywhere!

Thanks Captain, I feel the same way. I've always liked the technical rawness of a cars framework, you get to see all the details and what's going on behind the scenes. The adjustment for the spoiler will be run to where this cars fuel cap will be so it'll probably change and be covered up but that's the basic idea! 

1 hour ago, Lox Lego said:

This build has been hands down the most advanced frame Dug has built. Congrats bro, keep it up!

Thanks lox, and thanks for all the help and drive to build these cars and building them right. Huge shout out to my bro for always helping me out when needed and the master behind the awesome pics and video for my builds, I wouldn't be able to do it without you b! 

1 hour ago, JmTechnicFanX said:

Maybe its a Bentley gt car? Or maybe a jaguar f type racing car?

Both good guesses, Bentley would probably be pretty fitting especially with a w12 motor and Awd but VKTechnic got it dead on. It'll be an Aston Martin racecar gt3 

7 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

I'll give you a hint about keeping the measurements when building, Sariels scaler ( http://scaler.sariel.pl)! It's a life savor!

Well I know the scaler, as I'm using it aswell. What I wanted to ask: How do you keep your builds inside the measurements?  Would you consider building a jigg/frame as a helpfull tool or would you just build free and always 'measure' your dimension?

Really cool, I will be following this to see how you build the bodywork and hopefully learn a thing or two :grin:

What is your build process, do you plan things out on LDD or do you just build directly on bricks?

Actuall it should be AML - Aston Martin Lagonda.

It looks cool, lots of effort there. I can sometimes see how studless enables more mechanisms in a small space it seems, but for me, I have trouble with it. But now I have quite a bit of studdless and different gears and ratios, it might work for me on my current project.

@Hay Ewe aml is aston's luxury group. Not it's racing team.

18 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

4wd It is restricted in gt3 racing.

Edited by Aventador2004

14 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

You sir are bang on!!! Ding ding ding, we have a winner ;)! AMRC was quick code for Aston Martin Racecar 

Whoo! :grin: What do I win? :tongue: