Sign in to follow this  
Bodi

[OL - CH5D] Skirmish at sea

The Mardierian's remote fishing area is under attack! The Garvian privateer ship, a fast sailing topsail schooner has been on sea for several months, the crew was on the edge of mutiny, until they saw the white sails of a Mardiarian fishing boat on the horizon. 

The Mardierian boat was defenseless, sunking it was effortless. Unfortunately for the privateers, a Mardierian navy's sloop was patrolling nearby, a fight ensued. (Credit to Legostone for the bullet trajectory built with transparent studs)

1491462984m_DISPLAY.jpg

14914629866_DISPLAY.jpg

The reinforcement arrived just in time to prevent Garvian privateers from stealing the precious tuna!:pir-grin:

14914629854_DISPLAY.jpg

The poor dude is stuck in the middle of the fight.:tongue:

14914629867_DISPLAY.jpg

Full of militancy and royalist ardour, the Mardierian seamen deployed some WMDs, explosive and chain shot! :pir-devil:

14914629878_DISPLAY.jpg

14914630581_DISPLAY.jpg

The effect is very convincing.:pir-skel:

14914629841_DISPLAY.jpg

With their ship immobilized, the remaining privateers were forced to surrender.

Some extra pictures of the ships:

14914629852_DISPLAY.jpg

14914629853_DISPLAY.jpg

This entry is for Mardier.

Thanks for viewing.

Vive le Roi!

Edited by Bodi

This is a great entry ! I like the ships designs ! Good job ! Too bad you support the mardieran side though...

Thank you Franco! The sloop's colour is loosely based on Mardierian's flag, which is yellow if I'm not mistaken. :sweet:

Great entry, Bodi :thumbup:

I love how both your ships turned out. My favorite part is how you attached the spanker boom on the Marderian sloop.

Keep up the excellent work!

Vive le Roi!

Great ships and battle! I especially like the white (Mardieran) vessel, the sea and these bed sheets full of stars (i am a real fan of them)! 

Nice ships! You've done a great job of filling the scene with action! And I like your water effect with the sunk fishing vessel.  :thumbup:

17 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

Great entry, Bodi :thumbup:

I love how both your ships turned out. My favorite part is how you attached the spanker boom on the Marderian sloop.

Keep up the excellent work!

Vive le Roi!

Thank you KB! For the spanker boom, this was the only way I've found to attach it on the mast, since the mast is an old mast from my 90's pirate collection, and I tried twice to attach this thing.:wacko:

10 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Great ships and battle! I especially like the white (Mardieran) vessel, the sea and these bed sheets full of stars (i am a real fan of them)! 

Glad you like them, and don't let the stars distract you, just focus on the battle.:laugh:

4 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Nice ships! You've done a great job of filling the scene with action! And I like your water effect with the sunk fishing vessel.  :thumbup:

Thank you! Glad you've noticed the shipwreck.:sweet:

Cool entry, Bodi - you are promising to become one of the master ship builders of BoBS!

I like how your story is depicted by the different detail shots of the build, although it took me a while to figure out which vessel was which. That is honestly a bit embarassing, as I should immediate have spotted which was the schooner and which was the sloop (:pir-grin:), but anyways, it goes to illustrate how setting the scene can be important to ease people into the story. Perhaps first taking a shot of the privateer with some wreckage could have helped a bit? :pir-blush: Your pictures are generally fairly good, but appears a bit overexposed. Perhaps adjusting the white balance in photoshop or gimp could help? I am not expert, but can see the white sort of burning through the pictures. Alternatively, shorter exposure could perhaps help? As to a background, the starry night is turning out as your signature by now! :pir-grin: However, Gideon once suggested to use a roller curtain as background, and while I haven't yet gotten around to trying it myself, I have seen it used to great effect. :pir-blush:

As to your vessels, they are both really good, with great looking hulls. Those curves are really hard to achieve, especially on this scale! I really like this size of vessel, and I will be looking at these for inspiration. A few comments to each:

• The topsail schooner
    I really like how you used those brown curved pieces for the lower hull, and you've managed a fine curve on the upper hull. In a few of the transitions, it could perhaps use a bit more work, but at this scale, what you have achieved is really, really good! (At the bow, it is a bit square, though) As to the rigging, I think the foremast could have been placed further forward which would again have allowed for bigger spanker sails - currently, they look a bit too small (and I think the spanker booms should be lowered to just above minifigure height, which would firther increase their size). At the same time, that would raise the angle of your forestays, making the foresails look a bit more natural. Nonetheless, what you have is really nice, and I especially like the effect of the fallen mast in the end! :thumbup:
  • The sloop
    My favourite of the two, probably because the rigging looks more in the right proportions, making her look more elegant. Again, the hull is very pretty, and for this one, the rigging is very good. My only suggestion would be to looking more into how "real" rigging is done, with shrouds, back- and forestays, upper and lower masts, etc. That way, you could get an even more realistic rig, that would really finish off your already excellent work beautifully. And as KB, I really like how you've attached the boom - very realistic and elegant solution! :pir-blush:

All in all, great work - and I am always looking forward to seeing your next vessel! :pir-grin:

That's a detailed and constructive post, Bregir. Got my dico, here we go.

The sloop is the smaller one with one single one, the schooner is the slightly larger one with two masts, but yes you right, I'll be incapable to distinguish them rapidly if I wasn't the builder.  For the diorama, it was done in less than 1 hour,  I'm not very satisfied with the result either. 

The ruller curtain is a good idea, certainly better than my starry bedsheet. 

I've already demolished the masts, the sails and the rigging of these two ships, to prevent you to critic them further.:tongue::laugh: Seriously, I'm working on to improve them.

Your post is very useful to me, thanks a lot.

Edited by Bodi