sweetsha

A city of sand, wind and time

Hi everyone,

Some of you may have seen this one on Flickr or elsewhere already but let me introduce you one of my latest build - A city of sand, wind and time.

(btw I wasn't so sure about where to post this topic, if it belongs in another category feel free to move it)

33589126252_b3bf14dd31_b.jpg

So 1st big creation with flesh minifigures for me (I'm more used to create scenes with the yellow ones that have troubles :laugh:) and where I made the choice to emphasize the buildings architecture and overall atmosphere instead of funny situations.

Main inspiration comes from Ancheim city in 3DS J-RPG games Bravely Default/Bravely Second (really good games btw).

I wanted to keep this idea of a giant clock in a city in the middle of the desert - which primary energy source is the wind.  And I also wanted less steampunk (I mean less gears and so on) and more middle-orient architecture.  So I started by building the clock, took me a long time to try different things to build something round with squared bricks ^^

33745458895_ee7bd18f1e_z.jpg

Then the 4 buildings one by one, trying to use a different shape for each building's angles - and I finished with the ground (and I know, there should be more work on the ground, I will add some plates, rocks, olive green plants, etc ... for the next event where this creation will be displayed)

To conclude here are some pics so you can see the details.  Hope you'll like it :sweet:

33704823246_13042e55cb.jpg 33704824876_0cac84bd77.jpg

33745529085_0a1ef5bc11.jpg 33360819120_4ce236e9c1.jpg

33745530995_2403c54d97_z.jpg

33745530455_1588c474a0_z.jpg

Very interesting build. I also get a big Prince of Persia vibe seeing your MOC. The clock is just genius! Love the scenary and all those little details.

A real nice creation. The clock is well made and I love the sails on the buildings. A great Middle Eastern flavour :sweet:

Highly visually appealing!  The geometry works well with that clock.  Lots of interest detail to go over--well done!

This is really well done.  It would fit in well with Historic themes, and would be a perfect fit for Guilds of Historica's Kaliphlin.  I particularly like the buildings with their arches and little details.

Nice job!

This is really spectacular. Beautiful buildings and arrangement. The windmills are really little masterpieces! :classic: :thumbup: I would perhaps make the ground a little bit more intersting though. Some variation in colour, a couple of rocks and plants like bushes here and there. Maybe a path as well.

This looks amazing. The clock is really well done, so kudos. The buildings look coherent and in good style/design. The minifigure placement works well. I am curious, what torso is the dark red and dark blue/gold accented torso with the gentlemen with the food court (carrots area). I'm guessing it is the back of a torso, but I've never seen that before. I really like it. Also, where did you get licensed skin tone bare chested guys. That works really well for the guards.

Thanks for your kind comments :sweet:

And yes, as mentioned, the floor will benefit some re-work to add some rocks, plates, etc ...

Regarding the torso, the dark red one for the carrot seller is from King Tut (The Lego Batman Movie series)

125?cb=20161123021622

And the bare chested one is from Prince of Persia sets

103?cb=20110617150806

Edited by sweetsha

That is really cool!! I also get a very "Prince of Persia" vibe from it!! A wind powered clock is a great idea and I love the building designs (especially the windmill sails) and the statue in the centre!! 

Excellent stuff!! 

Yes very nice, it all goes together so well, the clock looks really like it belongs. Besides Prince of Persia it vaguely reminds me of an old SNES game I liked. (Illusion of Time?  Chrono Trigger? - something along the line)

Well done!

I have never played Bravely Default but as soon as I saw this scene I immediately thought it had to be from there. (I know the game from its great soundtrack!)

The whole build is really fantastic, and shows what I always kind of thought the scene would look like. Great job!

Edited by rodiziorobs

Now this is a real beauty of a build! So detailed and creative. Working with fleshtone is odd at the start isn't it? The larger variety available now does make it a little easier though.