Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[COR - Apr FB1] Crabber's Rock, Port Woodhouse (LDD)

33724207101_79091253fb_c.jpg

33469305040_19eaa5889d_c.jpg

High Tide

One of the first permanent buildings on the Corrington colony of Garma's Key was a small military outpost. Built on an outcrop of rock in the tidal flats north west of the site of the future settlement of Port Woodhouse, it was originally designed as an early warning post to alert the settlement of vessels in the Garma strait. The soldiers stationed there however, soon discovered that once the tide went out at night, huge numbers of crabs came out from their burrows in the sand. These large crustaceans are so abundant, it is impossible to cross the tidal flats at night without encountering them. As agriculture has yet to be established in the Corlander colonies in the Paradise Isles, the canny soldiers soon developed a thriving trade in crab meat!

33853753405_6344956e7c_c.jpg

Low Tide

Probably my last digital build in a while as I will soon be re-united with my bricks. Also the first build for the settlement of Port Woodhouse and the first property to be licensed in the Paradise Isles (Cascadia, Garma's Key and Celestia).

Built with an aim of uncovering some crabby bonuses - any idea whether I should license as a commercial property or a plantation? Both I think work so I'd be interested to hear what you guys think.

Impressive creation, very realistic, soldiers chasing crabs at low tide is a nice touch.:thumbup:

Another great build from you! I love all the different ways you've worked some texture into the walls; it amazes me how that alternating one plate height difference really makes a normal roof look quite interesting; the rockwork and foliage is nicely done; and the alternate views of "tide in" and "tide out" really give this build character. Not sure what I would advise you license it as, but I do know where to go for crab meat now. Well done! :thumbup:

Really nice build, I love the high tide/low tide variation!  The colors on the fort, especially the muddy looking bricks on the bottom (totally something I need to copy!), are spot on!  Overall just a great job!

I think I'd license as commerce rather than plantation, since the commercial dock/warehouse (or I would assume the fort is being used as such) takes up a considerably larger portion of the build, specially considering that most of the "plantation" is underwater most of the time!  But it could be either I guess!

A great build from you as usual ! Great rendition by LDD ! I like te aspect you've managed to render the low tide crab fishing. It is an excellent job !

Please top taunting me with your amazing LDD builds. You're killing me. :sarcasm_smug: That being said, great build. I really like how you showed the low and high tides. The look of it is perfectly fitting for a new settlement and also in a tropical setting. 

Good to see Port Woodhouse getting some love, high and low tide both. The textures of the walls are great, and I like how the lower parts show the wear of the seas. The angled quay is a great addition, and the roof very effective.

My only comment is that the difference between high and low tide (in elevation) could have been more pronounced, but I love how you have tied the build and story into the island description. Well done!

As to licensing, i would suggest commerce as a trading post and dock for the crabs. Doesn't seem like a plantation to me :)

Bwahaha, Corrish pragmatism at its best - if life gives you crabs, make crab juice.

I love how this build turned out - nice wall texture, great water and tidal effect - and all the crabby action going on... very entertaining :grin:

Shame to hear this is to be your last digital build for now.

Keep it up - even if it's 'just' using real bricks :tongue:

I am very glad you are both capable with LDD as well as with real bricks and I find this MOC gorgeous! Especially the tidal change is an interesting idea and it really sets an example. I wouldn't call that a plantation rather than a commercial building, just as a fisherman's shack would be in my ledger.

Thank you all for the comments!

I've gone with the consensus here and licensed as commercial, which I was leaning towards in the first place... but then was second guessing myself :pir-classic: