WhiteFang

REVIEW: 71018 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 17

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 17  

218 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Series 17?

2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Do you like the distribution allocation number based on the designs for Series 17?

• 1 - Yes, I love it
    • 2 - Neutral and it made no difference to me
    • 3 - No, I hate it
  4. 4. Does it matter if I continue work on this traditional LEGO CMFs reviewing project anymore?

• 1 - Yes, it matters and I would like you to continue
    • 2 - Neutral, it does not matter to me
    • 3 - No, I can read it elsewhere

38 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

@WhiteFang I have a suggestion for upcoming reviews. I think it would be nice to include a pic of all the new molds introduced in the series :classic:

@just2good nice review but I think the pic in the back on the leaflet is about the Highwayman, not the Ninjago series. It's the silhouette of the guy, like the bag and the box. "Who stole my corn?" makes a reference to this commercial

I would say that, but the gloves are different colored than the Highway Man. And thanks for the kind words! :classic:

6 minutes ago, just2good said:

I would say that, but the gloves are different colored than the Highway Man. And thanks for the kind words! :classic:

That's how he appears in the commercial: all blackened :classic:

Well, anyway. I guess time will tell

Edited by Robert8

I've decided I'm getting only 12 of the 16 figures. I'll be getting Professional Surfer, Gourmet Chef, 2x Veterinarian(one for my Mom since it reminds me of a modern nurse despite being a Veterinarian), Rocket Boy, Sausage Man, Roman Gladiator, Battle Dwarf, Retro Spaceman, 80s Dude, Circus Strong Man, Corn Cob Man, and Highwayman. I decided based on the expense of these that the other 4 aren't really worth the money.

Edit: I hope Lego explains their reasoning behind the secrecy of Highwayman despite not being worth the secrecy.

Edited by Tech Artist

Fantastic review as usual! Thanks, Fangy!

While the other series have made me eager to purchase new figs with each release, this series does little for me. There are a few accessories worth collecting, but the figs leave me a bit cold. Not sure why, but I will pass on this series. 

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

That's how he appears in the commercial: all blackened :classic:

Well, anyway. I guess time will tell

Oh, you're right! :grin:

2 hours ago, Tech Artist said:

Edit: I hope Lego explains their reasoning behind the secrecy of Highwayman despite not being worth the secrecy.

They won't.

16 hours ago, Tech Artist said:

If you think about it, it could be a couple of reasons. First one get the kids excited (you know since it is a toy). Second one the figure is not that bright (or colorful) let's just make it a mystery figure (or put him in the shadow). Third let's build some hype for the series. 

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. It's nice to know there are good interest for this series and review. 

On 4/21/2017 at 7:35 AM, Robert8 said:

I have a suggestion for upcoming reviews. I think it would be nice to include a pic of all the new molds introduced in the series :classic:

I think this is a lovely suggestion. When you mention new moulds, does that only brand new parts? How about different colours? Will that be included? 

On 4/21/2017 at 10:54 AM, Legogal said:

Fantastic review as usual! Thanks, Fangy!

While the other series have made me eager to purchase new figs with each release, this series does little for me. There are a few accessories worth collecting, but the figs leave me a bit cold. Not sure why, but I will pass on this series. 

I am surprised that you giving this series a complete miss. It's a traditional series and good new accessories in there, which I don't see it elsewhere in system sets yet. I hope my review can help you to rekindle your interest somehow. 

11 hours ago, samuraiturtle said:

If you think about it, it could be a couple of reasons. First one get the kids excited (you know since it is a toy). Second one the figure is not that bright (or colorful) let's just make it a mystery figure (or put him in the shadow). Third let's build some hype for the series. 

Those are some fair points. After all, this is a children toy. 

Thank you very much for the - like always - great review, WhiteFang! :classic:

For me, this series is definately one of the best so far! And it's even the first series in which I've got use for all characters! :wub::wub::wub:

The most I like the butterfly girl, the hotdog seller and the rocket boy.

The only bad thing is the price: Four Euros for one minifigure - although this is an exclusive one and has partly even exclusive accessory - is really usury! :thumbdown:

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

3 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

I think this is a lovely suggestion. When you mention new moulds, does that only brand new parts? How about different colours? Will that be included? 

Well, I was thinking on the brand new molds. But new colors would be interesting as well. And also would be interesting to include pieces that are featuring printing for the first time ever, like the Thor hammer piece, which has been around for a few years but Series 17 is the first time that piece has been printed

It would be like in the normal sets reviews, which sometimes feature a pic of the "interesting pieces" included in the set reviewed, like makoy did in this review :classic:

3 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Thank you very much for the - like always - great review, WhiteFang! :classic:

For me, this series is definately one of the best so far! And it's even the first series in which I've got use for all characters! :wub::wub::wub:

The most I like the butterfly girl, the hotdog seller and the rocket boy.

The only bad thing is the price: Four Euros for one minifigure - although this is an exclusive one and has partly even exclusive accessory - is really usury! :thumbdown:

Wow, that's quite a surprise for me. KD, I never expect you to like every single one of them and it got to be real good for you to claim such strong viewpoint, unlike other series. I am happy to hear that. 

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Well, I was thinking on the brand new molds. But new colors would be interesting as well. And also would be interesting to include pieces that are featuring printing for the first time ever, like the Thor hammer piece, which has been around for a few years but Series 17 is the first time that piece has been printed

It would be like in the normal sets reviews, which sometimes feature a pic of the "interesting pieces" included in the set reviewed, like makoy did in this review :classic:

Surely. I will see what I can do to put it together in the future. I think is a very good suggestion. Sometimes, I also do that for my other much earlier reviews in the past. 

Dear all, 

I am very pleased to update my review to reflect the secret character - Highway Man. Though I still not aware of the official name yet, but here goes. I hope you enjoy this additional content. 

33898546410_e3cf3e9f96_o_d.jpg

WhiteFang

Great review Whitefang, but I have to disagree to one thing: The highwayman is NOT a Wild West figure, he is clearly modeled after such historical figures like Dick Turpin, or Dennis Moore, both of whom were 18th century highwaymen from England. Wild West however is a period of mid to late 19th century of American history, in which Tricorne hats and flintlock pistols our Highwayman is brandishing were obsolete, in favor of Stentson hats and Colt Revolvers. If so, The highwayman is more close to the Pirates theme, as you said, and if we're talking about american history, he's more in place during the Independence War. You should rather pair him with the series 10 Revolutionary Soldier minifig, because they are from the same time period.

Edited by Eggyslav

35 minutes ago, Eggyslav said:

Great review Whitefang, but I have to disagree to one thing: The highwayman is NOT a Wild West figure, he is clearly modeled after such historical figures like Dick Turpin, or Dennis Moore, both of whom were 18th century highwaymen from England. Wild West however is a period of mid to late 19th century of American history, in which Tricorne hats and flintlock pistols our Highwayman is brandishing were obsolete, in favor of Stentson hats and Colt Revolvers. If so, The highwayman is more close to the Pirates theme, as you said, and if we're talking about american history, he's more in place during the Independence War. You should rather pair him with the series 10 Revolutionary Soldier minifig, because they are from the same time period.

Thanks Eggyslav for sharing your insightful thoughts. I always thought he is also can be considered as a form of Wild West character (to some extent), but you are right. Appreciate your sharing. Indeed, I should have pair up with the Series 10 Revolutionary Soldier. 

I appreciate the reveal... but I don't appreciate the secrecy behind it. If the marketing team is experimenting on generating more interest in this series I think they could have done it without concealing this mystery character. I actually like this minifigure but it I just cringe at the idea that it is a mystery.

I don't know if I will be getting a box of 60 for this series. 

No funny pictures with the Highwayman?

Is this Lego's idea of building hype? Because if so, they massively failed. There's nothing special about this fig to warrant such secrecy. How disappointing. 

The Highwayman is easily my favorite now. He's perfect for a purist Bloodborne minifig! All that needs to be done is replace one of the flintlock pistols with a Saw Cleaver made out of one of the Nexo Knight lava villain blades and there ya' go. I'm going to have to make a small diorama featuring this figure facing one of Bloodborne's many epic beasts with some of that Victorian-style architecture.

7 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

The Highwayman is easily my favorite now. He's perfect for a purist Bloodborne minifig! All that needs to be done is replace one of the flintlock pistols with a Saw Cleaver made out of one of the Nexo Knight lava villain blades and there ya' go. I'm going to have to make a small diorama featuring this figure facing one of Bloodborne's many epic beasts with some of that Victorian-style architecture.

HA! Another Bloodborne fan! That's what I've been saying...I don't care about the secrecy, this is my favorite minifig from the whole series and probably from the last few, too...as it reminds me so much of my favorite videogame, Bloodborne!

I've actually made a few custom hunters using mostly purist parts! I shared one of them on the forum by the way.

10 hours ago, JakeChambers said:

HA! Another Bloodborne fan! That's what I've been saying...I don't care about the secrecy, this is my favorite minifig from the whole series and probably from the last few, too...as it reminds me so much of my favorite videogame, Bloodborne!

I've actually made a few custom hunters using mostly purist parts! I shared one of them on the forum by the way.

Awesoem, I'll have to check that out! Yeah, Bloodborne is easily one of my favorite games. I'm a huuge fan of the Souls series and the Souls-like genre. I'm super excited for the Surge.

On 4/26/2017 at 11:59 PM, makoy said:

I appreciate the reveal... but I don't appreciate the secrecy behind it. If the marketing team is experimenting on generating more interest in this series I think they could have done it without concealing this mystery character. I actually like this minifigure but it I just cringe at the idea that it is a mystery.

I don't know if I will be getting a box of 60 for this series. 

Well, I am surprised that you are not getting a mint box? However, I do hope you are intend to complete a series? 

On 4/27/2017 at 1:23 AM, Yooha said:

No funny pictures with the Highwayman?

Yes, there are a few. 

Masked Bandits
33898547310_72b9fd38a2_o_d.jpg

Come quietly with us
34151818711_6bbd12e65f_o_d.jpg

Put your talent into good use
34242086846_8f09839bd1_o_d.jpg

You bunch are under house arrest
34151819061_f8594bdd2f_o_d.jpg

On 4/27/2017 at 3:18 AM, Ultron said:

Is this Lego's idea of building hype? Because if so, they massively failed. There's nothing special about this fig to warrant such secrecy. How disappointing. 

I think TLG should be explaining the secretive hype pretty soon. 

21 minutes ago, WhiteFang said:

I think TLG should be explaining the secretive hype pretty soon. 

I don't think they will explain anything, or they should at all. It was an advertise campaign to make one more twist into the "what will happen if I open the box?" feeling.

Okay, the picture came out earlier, and it was not a big deal for us, but it still can be a surprise for the muggles out there.

19 minutes ago, WhiteFang said:

Well, I am surprised that you are not getting a mint box? However, I do hope you are intend to complete a series? 

I will surely get a box with or without content. I enjoyed S16 so much because of Rogue and Mariachi but I cannot really connect with S17 that much. Maybe of all these minifigures, I will get as many Rocket Boy & Hot Dog Man as I could... and the rest might be just one each.