WhiteFang

REVIEW: 71018 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 17

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 17  

218 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Series 17?

2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Do you like the distribution allocation number based on the designs for Series 17?

• 1 - Yes, I love it
    • 2 - Neutral and it made no difference to me
    • 3 - No, I hate it
  4. 4. Does it matter if I continue work on this traditional LEGO CMFs reviewing project anymore?

• 1 - Yes, it matters and I would like you to continue
    • 2 - Neutral, it does not matter to me
    • 3 - No, I can read it elsewhere

For me I'll for sure try and get

2x or more elf girl, 2x or more battle dwarf, and no more than 2x retarius sans net. I would also like to pick up 1x vet, 1x butterfly girl, 1x chef, and 1x surfer. If funds allow I'll try and pick up 1x rocket boy, 1x retro spaceman, and 1x strongman. The rest don't really appeal to me more than a hairpiece or single accessory, so they aren't really worth it.

Thanks for the review; I almost read Brickset's, but saw that they had broken it up into multiple posts (gotta keep them clicks coming!) so I came here instead. It's a bit lengthy, but at least it's all in one place. And, since I missed out on the first ten or so series, it's nice to see the retrospective.

Edit: I may or may not get a mystery character, too. I haven't gone looking for it yet; I can wait.

Edited by rodiziorobs
Forgot the mystery character

It's odd that, for all the secrecy by TLG about the mystery minifig, the reveal is via an early retail release at Legoland Billund which is partially owned by TLG.
I would've thought it would have been Target or Walmart which would have sold it earlier than the street date.

There is a place for both types of reviews.
Concise reviews can be found elsewhere and area a dime a dozen.
The meaty review can be found here :)

Edited by ultiminutes

20 hours ago, dario76 said:

Well, if that's it... Meh.

Keeping part of the figs a secret is a nice idea in general, but it better be something special in the future, in stead of ending in an anti-climax.
It's all a matter of opinion, of course.

Edited by Withacee

On 4/7/2017 at 4:57 PM, AmperZand said:

The discussion has been raging online about what S17's army builder is. Is it the Dwarf? Maybe the Elf? The Gladiator in a Spartacus type rebellion? Or what about the Retro Spaceman with some different heads and weapons? No, no, no, no, no, no. It's none of those. It's... {drum roll}... THE BULLDOG! (Actually, it was lots of Connoisseurs, but they all surrendered for some reason leaving their dogs).

Thank you, Criosphynx, for making me smile. :sweet:

I am a bit odd that I don't really like minifigures all that much, I don't collect them, I just accumulate them over time, they are sort of secondary to the buildings and vehicles. I like seeing the series however, and I'll pick up a pack or two every other series or so just for the surprise factor.

I do however really, really enjoy collecting the dinosaurs and other animals and building mocs for them.  ( I just had a new raptor come in the mail yesterday and was beyond giddy)  I prefer to use fabuland figs when I can. Even as a kid I didn't play with the minifigures but was obsessed with the fabuland figures and brick built animal figures I had made   :::shrug:::

Glad I could make you smile! :)

Edited by Criosphynx

I wondered how LEGO was expecting this to remain a mystery. But I suppose as long as the figure is not printed in the sheet, bag, or box, then anyone that comes into their stores can potentially be intrigued by the 'mystery'. Of course, that person also needs to have no interest in LEGO other than buying it as gifts... and won't lookup LEGO information on the Internet.

Now for the next series, how would we feel if they include extra parts of a figure within each bag and you have to basically collect them all to build these extra figures? I've seen this done with Marvel figures (non-LEGO).

2 hours ago, badbob001 said:

I wondered how LEGO was expecting this to remain a mystery. But I suppose as long as the figure is not printed in the sheet, bag, or box, then anyone that comes into their stores can potentially be intrigued by the 'mystery'. Of course, that person also needs to have no interest in LEGO other than buying it as gifts... and won't lookup LEGO information on the Internet.

Now for the next series, how would we feel if they include extra parts of a figure within each bag and you have to basically collect them all to build these extra figures? I've seen this done with Marvel figures (non-LEGO).

Build-a-Figures are pretty common affairs these days. When case packs are pretty even, I suppose they're alright. Short-packing or producing an exceedingly popular figure will have the wheels coming off. It's not a technique I see working for CMFs, but I do think a "mystery super rare" figure, akin to the ones in the Mega Bloks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle blind bags, are a possibility.

1 hour ago, LosLEGOs said:

The bigest spoller:

:rofl: Yeah, you're only about a day late and there are many posts on this thread and the s17 discussion thread that have already been talking about it.

20 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

Build-a-Figures are pretty common affairs these days. When case packs are pretty even, I suppose they're alright. Short-packing or producing an exceedingly popular figure will have the wheels coming off. It's not a technique I see working for CMFs, but I do think a "mystery super rare" figure, akin to the ones in the Mega Bloks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle blind bags, are a possibility.

I think a lot of people hate the idea of rare figures, such as Mr. Gold or rare figures from conventions. Being blind-bag is enough stress for a kids product, but let's not encourage adults from buying up all the inventory. The extra pieces idea will encourage people to collect all the figures rather than chasing after one rare figure. And even when you don't get them all or have extras of the extra pieces, you can always use them to build custom figures. With non-LEGO products, those extra pieces are basically garbage.

And the extra pieces don't even need to be for an extra figure. It could be accessory pieces that are used with the figure it comes with but can be combined to form something else.

To be honest i don't think this series is a real good one. Well for me anyway. Only going for the Corn Cob Guy (superb minifig, though a headswap needs to be done), and a few retro spacepeople.

The only two other figs that came close enough are the french guy (i really like that doggie) and the surfer (how is that even possible??)

So, one Corn Cob, and three Spaceguys (if i'll find three that is)...4 figs, only 16 euro. I can live with that.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments and sharing. Just wish to update that, the mysterious character is not yet officially allow to be released. I will update this portion of the review once the green light is given. Well, thank you for your patience even though is no surprise to many, due to unexpected spoiler. In time to come, we should be able to receive TLG official sharing of this mysterious character once we past the official release date. 

I love this series!! As most of the previous ones!! What surprised me is that minifigures that are not very interesting for me, other people think that they are outstanding. Isn´t that incredible? An example:

My favourites are:

- the Connoisseur: I think its appearence is great, it really represents the sterotype of French people and it would be perfect for my photos in France.

- the Gladiator: it would be perfect for battles with the previous Gladiator in the CMF series and great for Ancient Rome Ruins photos.

However, some people do not like them and they even do not want to buy a sample of them.

On the other hand, the minifigures I like least are:

- Battle Dwarf. It is not an atmosphere interesting for me to represent. As we have dwarf from the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit themes, they look great and this one is not necessary for the MOCS. Moreover, its yellow color make it different from the rest.

- Elf Girl. I understand it as a partner for the Elf in the CMF series, but, we have wonderful elves, like Legolas to display this magical world.

Nevertheless, some other AFOLs really appreciate these minifigures.

Briefly, I think that what really makes LEGO great is that we have minifigures for all the people. Some would prefer some and other people others, buy at the end, we all find a carácter we were looking for. So, we must congratulate LEGO for these awesome series we can enjoy!! Enjoy series 17!!

Edited by Herisanmi

The eyes of the Battle Dwarf look bigger than normal, he seems to have smaller eyes in the CGI promo pictures.

I'm working on some roman stuff at the moment, so the gladiator will be good for me. I love his shoulder pattern. Likewise I'll be getting the battledwarf as he has a fantastic tattooed torso.

I'll also be getting two of the Frenchman. Both for the dog - I'll be keeping one as a French bulldog and attempting to customise the other info a British Bulldog. I have a British Bulldog as a pet so I feel this must be done!  I'm sure if I sand down the ears I'll be mostly there!  

Edited by Duck

Just one question:

Why are the title of the pictures repeated on the pictures as well? I read everything twice everything twice. :)

Thanks for the review - I read the others of course, but this is the one that I actually wait for and look forward to reading :)

Thanks guys. Much appreciated to know that most of us are pretty excited and looking forward to the public release in May. Just moments away, before we successfully embrace the anticipated release. 

22 hours ago, Yooha said:

Just one question:

Why are the title of the pictures repeated on the pictures as well? I read everything twice everything twice. :)

It's part of my reviewing standard structure, where I placed the caption above the image. :tongue: 

Mr. Whitefang, a simple request. When you're allowed to post pictures of the mysterious figure, could you take a picture of the back without the cape to show off the back printing if there is any. 

34 minutes ago, Forresto said:

Mr. Whitefang, a simple request. When you're allowed to post pictures of the mysterious figure, could you take a picture of the back without the cape to show off the back printing if there is any. 

Forresto, I did not have that particular image because is not necessary even though I got an image to encompass all rounded view. I hope you get the drift. :wink: 

2 hours ago, Forresto said:

Check youtube, JANGBRiCKS and just2good already upload their review videos. There is no back printing for the highwayman. 

@WhiteFang I have a suggestion for upcoming reviews. I think it would be nice to include a pic of all the new molds introduced in the series :classic:

7 hours ago, skywaiter said:

Check youtube, JANGBRiCKS and just2good already upload their review videos. There is no back printing for the highwayman. 

@just2good nice review but I think the pic in the back on the leaflet is about the Highwayman, not the Ninjago series. It's the silhouette of the guy, like the bag and the box. "Who stole my corn?" makes a reference to this commercial