Captain Genaro

[GBW] - Media - Filace - The Evening Report

My first build for GBW. Comments and criticism are welcome.

"And we're back in five, four, three, two, one,"

33801253355_a983e2f340_c.jpgNews Studio by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

"Welcome back to the Evening Report. I'm Pete Peters filling in for Chuck Charles. For tonight's top story, we follow up on the shocking reports first released by the Federal Reporter earlier today. According to the reports, diplomats from Filace are currently negotiating with Tosul to secure imports of various ores in exchange for hard currency and access to Filace's manufacturing industry. Many viewers will remember that just over a week ago, Tosul tested what experts believe was a long-range ballistic missile, angering and stoking fear of an all-out conflict on Bricklandia. For more on this shocking story, we turn to former Deputy Minister of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Steve Gray. Mr. Gray, thank you for joining us."

33760712236_60dc50b123_c.jpgNews Studio by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

"Thank you for having me, Pete."

"Now, did I miss anything regarding what we know about the negations?"

"No, Pete, I think you hit all the main points. Basically, we're still waiting to hear more about the story as it develops, officials have neither confirmed nor denied the negotiations, and the opposition coalition is demanding a full explanation by the Prime Minister. There are also reports that the Prime Minister spoke with his counterpart in New Brikika to reassure them that Filace remains committed to its COAC allies, but these reports are not substantiated. We know that the reporter who broke this story, James O'Hara, has been the first to report on similar stories in the past."

"Interesting, so there's a pretty good chance the whole thing is accurate. And what do you make of all this? Just last week, Filace was quick to second and support the BoN measure to ban nuclear weapons, an action that was pretty clearly directed at Tosul's recent ICBM test."

"Well, first let's be clear. We don't know what type of missile was tested. We believe it was ballistic, but issues such as range and warhead capacity are unknown to us at this time. As for the motion, let's not forget that Tosul also supported it, presumably to counter claims that it is pursuing a nuclear weapon. Now, Tosul has always denied it's nuclear ambitions, but it is widely believed that not only are they seeking nuclear warheads, but that this vote won't change anything. They're already fairly isolated from the international community, and it's hard to imagine how they could be cut off any more. If anything, Pete, I'll add that I believe this vote could confirm the Reporter's story about the negotiations. By signaling to the world that they don't want nuclear weapons, however false the signal may be, it could give our Prime Minister enough justification to get this trade deal passed and approved by Parliament. And this vote may give Filace enough plausible deniability should Tosul begin using the money or manufactured products in a nuclear or weapon's program."

"I get that, I get that, but I guess two points. First, how does it provide Filace with any, I think the term you used was 'plausible deniability,' and second, so what if we send them a few dishwashers and stereos? Why does anyone care?"

"To address your first point, I believe that Filace will likely attempt to circumvent the sanctions on Tosul by claiming the exchange, ore for money or goods, will benefit the people of Tosul, almost like humanitarian assistance. Now, in the past, Tosul has used the money it gets from selling ore to support it's nuclear ambitions. This vote could be enough support for Filace to claim that the money and materials aren't going to long-range nuclear weapons. Thin ice, and many people will see through it, but it should be sufficient under international law. As for the manufactured products, we're not so concerned with them having access to TVs and stereos. What we're concerned about is them using the electronics in these devices to construct their own computer systems or for similar use in their own weapons systems. Not very advanced, but it's light-years ahead of where they are now. Sure, Tosul can smuggle in these items, but it would be much easier and they'll get much larger quantities if they can purchase them on the open market."

"We're running out of time, Mr. Gray, but before we let you go, why is Filace so driven to trade with Tosul when there are plenty of other nations with the same resources?"

"There aren't plenty of other friendly nations with the same resources, Pete. No nation has proven or estimated reserves of precious metals quite as large as Tosuls, and it's widely believed that Tosul has some of the largest deposits or rare-earth metals. Not to mention that, in it's race to modernize, many of Filace's heavy industries were left behind or moved to other developing countries. This includes basic mining for iron, copper, and coal. Sure, given a decade and if Parliament made it a national priority, I'm sure Filace would have the world's largest metal industry with mines, refining and smelting plants, and everything else necessary. But the fact is, we're in a state of war, domestic metal production is very low, and with the draft, it's going to be hard to keep the various smelters and mines operating. Much easier to simply purchase it from a neutral third party."

"Thank you, Mr. Gray, for that fascinating analysis. We'll be sure to keep our viewers informed of any developments in this story. And coming up after the break, a new report by the University of Eastport suggests that wall outlets may not be a safe substitute for a knife stand. More on shocking story in just a moment."

"And cut!"

33671980461_0b3aa123fc_c.jpgNews Studio by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

"Really, Sue, the killer electricity story?"

"Come on Jeff, I'm the best producer at the whole station. I think I know what I'm doing. You and the other execs can thank me when the ratings come in."

Overview and additional pics:

32958152004_7a72329f10_c.jpgNews Studio by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

32958140194_5b2ef728a0_c.jpgNews Studio by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

33645172322_5688cfcd81_c.jpgNews Studio by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Very nice, most exceptional work on this scene :thumbup: Good work on the news report and at hinting at that possible Filace and Tosul alliance. Also, I like the modern modular table design and the cameras, their well detailed. And the killer electricity story was a nice touch of humor.

All around great stuff. 

A very good build ! And an intriguing story... I am not sure Filace should be closer to Tosul by now but we will see where it leads. 

On 4/2/2017 at 4:50 PM, Merc4Hire said:

Very nice, most exceptional work on this scene :thumbup: 

Thank you, that's very nice of you.

On 4/3/2017 at 4:11 AM, Faladrin said:

A very good build ! And an intriguing story... I am not sure Filace should be closer to Tosul by now but we will see where it leads. 

I'm glad you like it. You can't believe everything you see on TV. You never know, it could just be "fake news.":laugh:

On 4/5/2017 at 1:50 PM, KyloStabbedFirst said:

Really smooth and looks like an real newsroom.

Thank you. I looked at a bunch of newsroom pictures when planning this, and I'm glad it paid off.

You've Been Awarded (3) Point(s):

Judges Comments (not all judges comment):

News Studio looks great. The cameras and the AV Equipment are nicely done. Solid first build, nicely done.    

You put in some time on this news studio and it shows!  Lots of details, lots.  This is great, I actually want to steal a few ideas for the future.  Great build, great start.

You can Update your AAR Post with your points to keep track.

Thanks for Playing and Have a Happy Easter!

On 4/10/2017 at 6:55 AM, paintballman said:

Lovely TV station news set. I really like it!!!

I'm glad to hear it, thank you.

On 4/18/2017 at 2:02 PM, Johannsued said:

Very nice detailed table! looks great!

I do like the table, and I think it turned out nice. I was a little worried that the black details would be harder to photograph, but it all worked out.

3 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Lovely build! What skyline did you use?

Thank you. The skyline is New York, but I forget the name of the hotel the picture was taken from.