Andy D

40th Anniversary Chassis - My build experience

8 hours ago, dellock6 said:

I tried it quickly, it's below 50€ before shipping from 5 sellers, if you go for used parts, so it could be cheaper to buy the parts. If you think about it, the three sets are 1052 parts, and the chassis is 571/572, so there are a lot of "wasted" parts. The sets are just a quicker way to build it, and TLG did a good job from their point of view to increase the sales of those sets with this "trick".

7 hours ago, julesvincent said:

I paid 62€ for the 3 sets brand new, thats better than 50+S&H from 5 sellers with used parts and I even got 500 parts left to build something else ;)

@Andy D thank you for the review. I pretty much made it the same but without the sorting and picture taking. 

@dellock6 So with shipping from 5 sellers that would be about 80 to 90 Euro total, not bad, let us know how the comes out.

@julesvincent That sounds like a real good deal!

The other day I decided to order another 3 sets so I could build it again and MOD it if I see some good mods. I have not thought of any compelling MODs yet.  I think I did better out of pocket cost than either of you (of course I did have to use VIP points) I got the Ultralight on Amazon for $16 and after using my VIP points I got the other two sets from LEGO (plus a freebee) for $11... So $27 out of pocket.

I would be interested if someone could determine what parts are used from what sets.  At first glance I think that the Ultralight is not used for much besides the Fake engine, maybe a wheel used as an air cleaner on the engine. Maybe I will look at that just for curiosity, if someone had the cylinders, pistons, rods and crankshaft they might not need the Ultralight (but the LEGO designer had to assume that we did not have any of those parts).

Andy D

41 minutes ago, Andy D said:

@julesvincent That sounds like a real good deal!

The other day I decided to order another 3 sets so I could build it again and MOD it if I see some good mods. I have not thought of any compelling MODs yet.  I think I did better out of pocket cost than either of you (of course I did have to use VIP points) I got the Ultralight on Amazon for $16 and after using my VIP points I got the other two sets from LEGO (plus a freebee) for $11... So $27 out of pocket.

I would be interested if someone could determine what parts are used from what sets.  At first glance I think that the Ultralight is not used for much besides the Fake engine, maybe a wheel used as an air cleaner on the engine. Maybe I will look at that just for curiosity, if someone had the cylinders, pistons, rods and crankshaft they might not need the Ultralight (but the LEGO designer had to assume that we did not have any of those parts).

Andy D

I know the deal is good ;) I should've taken the time to assemble the original models though. Maybe I get another BMW. ;)

I'm not yet that much into modding but I will try to make some kind of body for it, as soon as time will let me.

How exactly want to know which parts are from what? I made a bricklink wanted list from the instruction and could compare the parts. And as soon as Bricklink adds parts for the telehandler, that would be even easier. 

22 minutes ago, julesvincent said:

I know the deal is good ;) I should've taken the time to assemble the original models though. Maybe I get another BMW. ;)

I'm not yet that much into modding but I will try to make some kind of body for it, as soon as time will let me.

How exactly want to know which parts are from what? I made a bricklink wanted list from the instruction and could compare the parts. And as soon as Bricklink adds parts for the telehandler, that would be even easier. 

I saw another alternate BMW Hoverbike the other day, I may build it. But the instructions are only available on a 27 minute YouTube video.

Andy D

22 minutes ago, julesvincent said:

After a quick look at the parts list for the Ultralight, it appears that it does not contribute many parts, but among them are..

The fake engine parts.

Some gears.

A DBG panel used on the bonnet.

A link used for steering.

Maybe a few miscellaneous connector pins and such.

It looks to me that it contributes about 30 parts, no more than 50.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

1 hour ago, Andy D said:

@dellock6 So with shipping from 5 sellers that would be about 80 to 90 Euro total, not bad, let us know how the comes out.

Andy D

Ah wait, I simulated the purchase of spare parts, but as I said before I already ordered the three sets :D , from two stores also so I reduced a bit shipping costs. 

I can't really give the price of the BMW since it's inside another order with the telehandler and other stuff, but I'd say more or less 55€ and 35€ for them plus 20€ for the Helicopter, all with s+h. So the total is around 110€. Not sure if spare parts would cost less once we add shipping. 

And honestly, who cares, I just want to build the chassis!:sweet:

Luca

26 minutes ago, dellock6 said:

Ah wait, I simulated the purchase of spare parts, but as I said before I already ordered the three sets :D , from two stores also so I reduced a bit shipping costs. 

I can't really give the price of the BMW since it's inside another order with the telehandler and other stuff, but I'd say more or less 55€ and 35€ for them plus 20€ for the Helicopter, all with s+h. So the total is around 110€. Not sure if spare parts would cost less once we add shipping. 

And honestly, who cares, I just want to build the chassis!:sweet:

Luca

Oh, I misunderstood your orders.

My feelings exactly! Who cares just want to build the Chassis. 

Andy D

Just for grins, I checked my POH (Parts On Hand) and I could almost build the Chassis from POH.

Except I am missing...

The red 3L axel connector.

The 3 panels used for the bonnet.

The proper color wheels (I only have grey, not black).

So, it looks like I really needed to buy the sets to build the Chassis properly.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Steering will not work good with LEGO's sollution on the rear axle

Need to be diff to steer properly.

So this sollution is better

32997629193_84c350aa75_q.jpg.95e13372b1ed7910d495260010bb4bee.jpg

On 3-4-2017 at 5:06 PM, Andy D said:

Maybe someone with more time and patience than I will make a parts list.

Yes, I was thinking of the parts list. I plan to buy the bmw, but not the other sets. On rebrickable, it would be easy to see which parts I would be missing.

Hmm, I don't know how to exit this quotation box

Edited by PeterF

What a real shame that Lego did not see an opportunity to cut out 3x 40'th tokens from the boxes, send them off and they would post you back a official printed instruction manual for this set.  

Missed opportunity in my opinion.

Paul

Just build it from what parts i have. Final result is almost full black. Overall impressions is weird - i don't like final model. While gearbox works surprisingly smooth, all other is really poor. Rear axle suspension compress tires more, than absorbers. Steering is equipped with anti-return-to-center ability. Wheels feels too small for that car - i changed it to 62.4x20 later, and, with some tinkering it perform better.

But, i so much enjoyed building process) No matter how good or worse is final result, it was really fun to build.

1 hour ago, Victor Imaginator said:

Just build it from what parts i have. Final result is almost full black. Overall impressions is weird - i don't like final model. While gearbox works surprisingly smooth, all other is really poor. Rear axle suspension compress tires more, than absorbers. Steering is equipped with anti-return-to-center ability. Wheels feels too small for that car - i changed it to 62.4x20 later, and, with some tinkering it perform better.

But, i so much enjoyed building process) No matter how good or worse is final result, it was really fun to build.

Great! Glad you had a fun build. How about posting a photo? It would be good to see different results.

Andy D

I Andy,

Is it me or does this set have only two speed gearbox?

Looking at the instruction it seems to me that the first and second speed ratio are the same.

Am i wrong?

I'm still in the very slow process of creating a parts list from the instructions in an excel format with all the element IDs.

im doing it in my lunch breaks so I'm only about a week third way through so far

8 hours ago, Seasider said:

I'm still in the very slow process of creating a parts list from the instructions in an excel format with all the element IDs.

im doing it in my lunch breaks so I'm only about a week third way through so far

Did you see this parts list on BrickLink?

https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/model.page?idModel=7086

it seems fairly complete.

IHTH

Andy D

Just finished going through the instructions and unless I've made any errors I count 109 Unique Parts and 569 Pieces in total which is different to the 108/571 from the Bricklink link posted above

Here's the list I came up with ...

Parts_List.png

This is the corrected list !

Edited by Seasider
Corrected parts list image

9 hours ago, Seasider said:

Just finished going through the instructions and unless I've made any errors I count 109 Unique Parts and 569 Pieces in total which is different to the 108/571 from the Bricklink link posted above

Here's the list I came up with ...

Wow! That's dedication. I followed the link on your list to a Photobucket site... I assume yours. Is the photo of the Chassis from our list?

Looks good!

Andy D

Hi andy,

no the chassis is is is my attempt to build it from the known parts from the 3 sets and the photos and video from the toy fair earlier this year.

Last night I tore the model apart and went through the instructions step by step placing the parts in a tub. Turns out I'd somehow missed a black bent liftarm from my original model which didn't help! But it was good to see I'd got lots of areas right or very close. I'll then check the tub contents against the list.

The parts collection is actually very small, apart from the wheels they all fit in a small tub. I plan to build it this afternoon and then start modding, most probably back in my original thread on here.

I will take photos as I go along and then most probably produce a new parts list and ldd if I can be bothered

Just double checked bricks vs my excel list (I'm an OCD engineer).

3 mistakes

4142822 1x3 Liftarm Black should be 8 off

4211651 1x5 Liftarm LBG should be 9 off

4239601 1/2 Bush Yellow should be 9 off

10 hours ago, Seasider said:

Hi andy,

no the chassis is is is my attempt to build it from the known parts from the 3 sets and the photos and video from the toy fair earlier this year.

Last night I tore the model apart and went through the instructions step by step placing the parts in a tub. Turns out I'd somehow missed a black bent liftarm from my original model which didn't help! But it was good to see I'd got lots of areas right or very close. I'll then check the tub contents against the list.

The parts collection is actually very small, apart from the wheels they all fit in a small tub. I plan to build it this afternoon and then start modding, most probably back in my original thread on here.

I will take photos as I go along and then most probably produce a new parts list and ldd if I can be bothered

Great! I am looking forward to it.  If you could, will you put a link to your original thread in this thread when you start, so I will be sure to follow it! 

Great work, sounds like you were extremely close. I hope one day I can r verse engineer models from resources like you had for the Chassis!

Andy D

On 4/20/2017 at 5:49 AM, Seasider said:

@Seasider I think I just found a difference in the parts lists (at least one difference). adf32 states that "The 78c07 Hose Ribbed 7mm D. 7L is absent", that is 1 part name/number and 2 parts, so that would account for the 109 vs 108 unique parts and the 569 vs 571 piece discrepancy in your spreadsheet vs the list posted by adf32.  

Are you planning to buy any of the sets? Or just build from parts on hand/bricklink?

I am curious as to which set contributed which part(s). Did you do that comparison? Or do you plan to do that comparison?  I think such a comparison could be really helpful for others who want to build the Chassis.

Andy D 

Edited by Andy D

Well I have a reasonable technic collection so I've used that to build my set so far. The plan is to mod it which I'm still working out what to do, details to come next week.

once I have a fully modded Chassis I'll then just bricklink the bits I need.

so far I haven't bought any technic sets this year!

as to working out which part is from which set I can add that to my excel sheet if that would help, but itll take time as I've a busy week ahead at work and that's where my excel sheet is