Andy D

40th Anniversary Chassis - My build experience

6 hours ago, Seasider said:

Well I have a reasonable technic collection so I've used that to build my set so far. The plan is to mod it which I'm still working out what to do, details to come next week.

once I have a fully modded Chassis I'll then just bricklink the bits I need.

so far I haven't bought any technic sets this year!

as to working out which part is from which set I can add that to my excel sheet if that would help, but itll take time as I've a busy week ahead at work and that's where my excel sheet is

I am looking forward to it.

Looking forward to your mods. 

Andy D

Nice review Andy, i'm now more and more impatient to build this model. But i have to buy the necessary sets...

I have re-built the chassis 8860 recently and it was a pleasure (i'm 40 years old too...)

20 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Andy ... started work on my MODs ... here's my thread

Thanks... I will join you there!

Andy D

If anybody's interested, I've tried to list the parts of the 40 Years Car Chassis here (please forgive / notify me of any mistakes) and I've made it into a Bricklink XML file that can be uploaded into a wanted list.

I've counted 575 parts out of the 1059 (not counting stickers as parts) of the 3 sets altogether or 54%. Depending on how you prioritize the parts sources (I chose to go for 42063 first, then 61, then 57) you'll use various ratios of each set but no less than 27% and up to 75%. The order I chose uses 27% of 42057 / 47% of 42061 / 66% of 42063 but the reversed order will use 67% of 42057 / 68% of 42061 / 44% of 42063.

On 4/3/2017 at 10:21 PM, Meatman said:

I've been trying very hard to like this model, but it just doesn't look very appealing to me. :sceptic: Lego should have done a proper modern style stand alone anniversary model similar to this.

1467244528m_SPLASH.jpg

This was a really cool move from Lego to provide such instructions as there is no direct benefit apart maybe from attracting more people into buying these 3 sets that they might have not otherwise. That's exactly what happened to me. And now that I've seen the sets, I'm considering buying them a second time so I'll be able to have all 3 original sets AND the Chassis. But that might be just me.

I would really welcome a full overhaul of the 8860 in studless design (as I've mentioned here before), but the audience (or rather potential buyers) for this may be too narrow for it to be commercially viable. Still, I would buy it without a second thought.

Judging by the post views, it does not appear that many people realize that @Sariel did a video review and speed build of the 40th Anniversary Chassis. His video is well worth a view if you are at all interested in this Chassis. The link to the video is in his 2017 first half review thread. I think he should have started a new thread so more folks would realize that the video is there

The video is towards the bottom of the page.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D