Andy D

40th Anniversary Chassis - My build experience

I first saw images of this model in early February in videos from the German toy show with images of the Technic 2nd half sets. This model caught my attention more than the other sets, I was very intrigued by the model, so much so that I decided I really wanted to build it.  I collected the sets and left them on the shelf, just waiting for the instructions to become available.  I had read that the instructions would not be available until August, when the 2nd half sets were released. Like many others I was disappointed, but, oh, well!

Imagine my surprise and amazement and happiness when I found that the instructions were available March 30 (at least that’s when I found out about them).  There was a link to the instructions so I immediately downloaded them and started looking at them.  I have since found that the instructions are available if you search on the Building Instructions page under any of the three sets used to build the model (42057 - ULTRALIGHT HELICOPTER, 42061 - TELEHANDLER and the 42063 - BMW R 1200 GS ADVENTURE) the instructions are there as an alternate model.

I didn’t think I was going to have time anytime soon to start the build as I really wanted to build the BMW B-model first, but I broke down, ordered another 42063 for later and started to build.

I am not going to do a full-on review, I will leave that to those who are more talented at doing reviews (I do hope someone does a good review). I am just going to post my impressions about the build and the final model.

First some photos of the sets used to make up the model…

33643354372_9ea11f75f8_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chassis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

My first step in any build is to sort. So one box at a time I opened them up and sorted the parts into a system that makes sense to me for finding parts to build the set. (this took me about 1 hour)

Here is a photo of my resulting sort.

33643360982_786f5218b4_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chassis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

Then I started to build.  My first build time was 2 hours and I built up to page 101.  During this first part I built the engine, gearbox, steering and dashboard.

The gearbox is interesting, it has a 3-speed shift, but only 2 of them affect the engine,  I guess that could be considered a neutral gear.

The steering is nice, a very clever implementation.

I know some have said that they think the model should be modded to incorporate a differential and full front suspension.  It really doesn’t need either as I feel it is a great model in its own right.

So far the frame portion has been a very interesting build, with lots of advanced and clever building techniques that I would expect only from a much larger set, well the total number of parts is 1062, so it is about the same as a good medium sized set and the cost was about the same (approximately $120 USD) as a medium size set.

Overall I really feel that this model is worthy of being the model to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Technic as it is fun and challenging build full of interesting and challenging techniques.

If you are "on the fence" about this model, I suggest you jump, get the sets and start to build. This model is totally worth it, lots of fun!

More later,

Andy D

I finished the build today, it took about 1 1/2 hours to finish and take photos of the model and the  left-over pieces.

Most of the most interesting part of the build (to me) was in the first 111 pages, the last pages were just the seats.  But, the seats do have a nice slide adjustment system.

Here are a few photos of the Chassis…

33688610181_243c37ae4f_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

33688613791_5e81cae4ef_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

33688616871_481e805764_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

33688619811_4e042ecf00_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

33777271196_2892815da7_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

33777274856_9bf710289b_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

33777278426_ac8846e90d_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

33777281976_8427d8aca5_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

Here are a few photos of the left-over pieces…

32974840514_cb58e3db21_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

32974841654_684689f5d8_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

32974842864_c2cf16d2eb_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

33688678471_5effeb2d06_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

32974847834_d36116ecbf_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

32974854054_60341d066f_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

32974862064_4c3abb21ef_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

32974869324_80a4560efb_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

33688705191_472569d084_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

33688711171_9540fdabb8_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

33688716211_d6bc8a720f_c.jpg40th Anniversary Chasis by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

There are 200 - 300 left-overs.  Lots of pieces.  They are all common pieces, very useful for modding or MOCing. But if you don’t want to spend the approx $120 USD, you could go through the instructions and make a list, or wait for someone else to make such a list.

For me, I do not regret buying the sets, even though there a lots of left-over parts, I know I will use them sometime somewhere, and I think it was cheaper than buying the parts from Bricklink to build the model.  I will leave that as an exercise to someone else. Be sure to let us know what it cost to buy just the parts.

Well, I had a great time building the model, I would do it again (I probably will) and I am glad to share the photos and info.  Any other questions, just ask.

I still hope one of our great EB reviewers (like Sariel or Jim) will do a proper review.

Andy D
Edited by Andy D

I think that the "lack" of additional features like front suspensions and others is ok in this case, as the model should be as close as possible to the original one, who didn't have those.

I ordered yesterday the 3 sets, I was waiting june-july to buy them as I thought as everyone that the instructions would have come out on August, by as a owner of the original one back in the days, I HAVE to build this new one.

Thanks for the first impression, can't wait to see the complete build.

I was today at the Lego store in CHicago and those sets ARE available for sale. I too was surprised as I thought we won't see them before August.

8 minutes ago, DrJB said:

I was today at the Lego store in CHicago and those sets ARE available for sale. I too was surprised as I thought we won't see them before August.

Did you get them? Start building, this is a teriffic build, I know I will be sorry when it is done. 

Andy D

13 hours ago, rollermonkey said:

I had zero interest in the ultralight before seeing this. 

Um, how do you have a European box for the Telehandler set?

I bought it on Amazon from a third party seller.  I didn't realize it was not a USA version until I received my order, but then I saw no part count on the box so I knew that somehow it was not a USA version. I think I may have overpaid, I forgot what I paid, but oh, well.

I have since bought a USA boxed version from a local LEGO store.

it were not for the 40 Year Chassis, I would not have had any interest in the Ultralight or the BMW (untilI saw the B model).

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

54 minutes ago, Andy D said:

Did you get them? Start building, this is a teriffic build, I know I will be sorry when it is done. 

Andy D

No I did not ... got other sets for the kids (Friends and Architecture) ... maybe my next trip.

The porsche was there on display too, and per the store owner, they're selling quite a few of them.

26 minutes ago, DrJB said:

No I did not ... got other sets for the kids (Friends and Architecture) ... maybe my next trip.

The porsche was there on display too, and per the store owner, they're selling quite a few of them.

As long as it's not too long until the next trip.

Andy D

The instructions are available ! Off to find them now ...

Did you see my thread where I tried to make this from the photos and video ?

I need to finish the TC11 entry first but then I'll come back to this and most probably MOD it

3 hours ago, Seasider said:

The instructions are available ! Off to find them now ...

Did you see my thread where I tried to make this from the photos and video ?

I need to finish the TC11 entry first but then I'll come back to this and most probably MOD it

I do now remember the thread where you started from photos. It was very good, I was so envious! 

Do you plan to finish up that version before doing the official version?

I am looking forward to seeing your completed version, and any mods.

The official version is so good that I have not thought of any mods I would like yet.  As I mentioned, the gearbox, semi-differential and steering are all quite nice. The only thing I might consider adding (at this time) would be suspension to the front.

I am going to try to finish mine today, then post photos.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

@Andy D I haven't finished mine. I got to an impasse where I couldn't work out how a few things were mounted so I abandoned the project to work on the TC11 and a Model Team style MX-5.

i think I'll download the instructions and compare to my model to see how good and bad I was.

in terms of mods, I'd like the seats to be the same shape. Also I like colours to flow so it'll be those sorts of things to change for me. I don't have any of the 3 original models. But if I like the Anniversary model enough I might buy the bricks to have it as a display model (most probably in my modified version).

6 hours ago, PeterF said:

I would be very grateful if someone could put this on rebrickable. :thumbup:

All you have to do is download the instructions from LEGO, free...

https://mi-od-live-s.legocdn.com/r/www/r/service/-/media/franchises/customer service/technic/42063_40years.pdf

Buy the sets,and build away. Yeah, you have to buy the sets, or just build from your parts, but there is no official parts list. Maybe someone with more time and patience than I will make a parts list.

IHTH,

Andy D

6 hours ago, Seasider said:

@Andy D I haven't finished mine. I got to an impasse where I couldn't work out how a few things were mounted so I abandoned the project to work on the TC11 and a Model Team style MX-5.

i think I'll download the instructions and compare to my model to see how good and bad I was.

in terms of mods, I'd like the seats to be the same shape. Also I like colours to flow so it'll be those sorts of things to change for me. I don't have any of the 3 original models. But if I like the Anniversary model enough I might buy the bricks to have it as a display model (most probably in my modified version).

@Seasider Be sure to let us know how close your's was to the original, it looked pretty good to me!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I've been trying very hard to like this model, but it just doesn't look very appealing to me. :sceptic: Lego should have done a proper modern style stand alone anniversary model similar to this.

1467244528m_SPLASH.jpg

20 hours ago, Andy D said:

So far the frame portion has been a very interesting build, with lots of advanced and clever building techniques that I would expect only from a much larger set, well the total number of parts is 1062, so it is about the same as a good medium sized set and the cost was about the same (approximately $120 USD) as a medium size set.

You scared me here since you were talking about this actual tribute model up until the bolded part, but the 3 sets combined have 1062 parts. I would have found it quite shocking if this tribute had that many parts.

As for mods, I personally wouldn't do front suspension, simply because the original didn't have it. I would add a diff for sure though.

Edited by Appie

I just added photos of the completed model to the first post.  I also added photos of the left-overs.  Quite a few left-overs, maybe 200 - 300, but I still don't regret buying the sets to make the model. It was much easier and faster for me to get the instant gratification of building the set, instead of waiting for Bricklink orders.  I would rather build than watch my mail box waiting for parts.  But that's just me.

I hope you enjoyed the photos and my ramblings.  If you have any questions or would like other photos, just ask and I will try to help.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

If I get time after TC11 I'll make a parts list and then I'll MOD.

ill dig my Chassis out at some point this week and compare it to your photos

4 hours ago, Andy D said:

I would rather build than watch my mail box waiting for parts.

Well, I'm actually watching my mailbox for the 3 sets ordered on Bricklink :laugh:, since as usual local shops prices are way above what I can find online, even with shipping. I'll build it as soon as they arrive, probably even before the original set. As others said, I would have never bought those sets if it wasn't for the chassis.Thanks for the pictures, it looks really nice, I'm ok not having 100% appearance as the original one, is a tribute in my opinion, not a replica. There's surely a lot that can be modded, so I'm expecting many to do so anyway. I would have had probably the seats completely red, but I see from the leftovers that only a few red beams are left, surely the designer had to chose for some compromises to limit the usage of those three sets.

8 minutes ago, dellock6 said:

Well, I'm actually watching my mailbox for the 3 sets ordered on Bricklink :laugh:, since as usual local shops prices are way above what I can find online, even with shipping. I'll build it as soon as they arrive, probably even before the original set. As others said, I would have never bought those sets if it wasn't for the chassis.Thanks for the pictures, it looks really nice, I'm ok not having 100% appearance as the original one, is a tribute in my opinion, not a replica. There's surely a lot that can be modded, so I'm expecting many to do so anyway. I would have had probably the seats completely red, but I see from the leftovers that only a few red beams are left, surely the designer had to chose for some compromises to limit the usage of those three sets.

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. I hope you enjoy building your model as much as I enjoyed building mine.

As for mods, I haven't thought of any serious mods yet, but I am really looking forward to mods others come up with.

Andy D

I was searching around and I found that someone created the Chassis in stud.io from the instructions. He says that there are 571 parts, I saw on another site that there are 572 parts, about the same.

Heres a link...

https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/model.page?idModel=7086

it looks pretty good, and should get you pretty close, don't know if will be cheaper than buying the sets (should be) but good luck.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I tried it quickly, it's below 50€ before shipping from 5 sellers, if you go for used parts, so it could be cheaper to buy the parts. If you think about it, the three sets are 1052 parts, and the chassis is 571/572, so there are a lot of "wasted" parts. The sets are just a quicker way to build it, and TLG did a good job from their point of view to increase the sales of those sets with this "trick".

I paid 62€ for the 3 sets brand new, thats better than 50+S&H from 5 sellers with used parts and I even got 500 parts left to build something else ;)

@Andy D thank you for the review. I pretty much made it the same but without the sorting and picture taking. 

Edited by julesvincent