swisstony

Our FIRST ever MOC- Police Station Modular *UPDATED*

Just now, LegoSjaak said:

There is no need being gentle.. it just looks very good.. !! I would place a light bluish grey half pin in the 'P' from your Police-sign... to fill it up a bit.. you could put it in from the interior side...!

Great work!

that is a great idea.....will try that when I get home tonight , top man !

On 13/04/2017 at 0:39 PM, LegoSjaak said:

There is no need being gentle.. it just looks very good.. !! I would place a light bluish grey half pin in the 'P' from your Police-sign... to fill it up a bit.. you could put it in from the interior side...!

Great work!

as per your idea , nice one 

IMG_0292

On 02/04/2017 at 7:15 PM, SwissBrick said:

Wow, cannot believe this is your first moc.., well done! Both inside and outside have great details! I would only change (but have no ready to go solution) the blue stripe in the middle of the facade, other than that I would not change anything, bravo!

On 02/04/2017 at 7:40 PM, Legoboy22 said:

Wow, that truly is an architectural masterpiece for your first MOC. the details on the inside and out are perfect. The only small thing I change would be to line up the pavement with the other modulars. Apart from that its perfect. Brick on!

-legoboy22

On 02/04/2017 at 8:08 PM, RogerSmith said:

The interior is amazing!

A police station is on my bucket list of MOCs to do, and this certainly gave me some nice ideas. It must've taken some time to accumulate all the printed and stickered pieces from different eras used in this build!

The exterior shows some nice ideas, and for me each floor works pretty well on its own.

But if I may offer some well-meant advice: The building as a whole could use some more consistency in its design. Each floor uses a different window style and placement, and the second floor shares no design elements with the first and third floor. You used tiles to evoke brickwork on the first and third floor, but the second floor uses two kinds of profile bricks for texture. That looks kinda odd, like the second floor was inserted into the building much later on.

But anyway, for a first attempt at a modular MOC, this is good! Keep it up! :classic:

On 02/04/2017 at 11:44 PM, gotoAndLego said:

Looks great. Any reason you didn't have the purplish tiles not he third floor?

On 04/04/2017 at 10:03 PM, TheLegoDr said:

There are some interesting ideas floating around here. I agree that it needs to be more coherent, but a valiant first effort.

I saw this on brickset forum, but decided not to comment, so I guess I'll comment here. (I wasn't logged in at the time on bs).

Interiors are always fun and I know not everyone does them. I have an urge to always do them in my own buildings, then I never finish the building. Even though no one ever looks inside, I want to have it "complete."

On 05/04/2017 at 8:34 PM, Dakar A said:

This is a great first MOC @swisstony! Funnily enough, my first big Bricklinked MOC is also gonna be a police station, so I feel you deeply on the various struggles with the transition from digital design to real life. I cursed my past self a few times while building, and a snafu with want lists is what's currently preventing me from posting. So I'll live vicariously through you! 

The internal detail is fantastic, kudos to your better half on fitting all that in on a 32x32 building! The outside isn't too shabby either, I really like your use of sand blue. And you've also captured what I think are the most important aspects of the modular series- façade detail, color blocking, and a liberal use of light grey! However, I do have a suggestion for your next MOC- try to focus on line and how the overall outward appearance of your MOC comes across. Currently (and I do not mean this to be disparaging- it's still something I struggle with), your MOC is very split between the floors. Outside of their shared coloring, each floor seems to have its own details and partitioning. If you look at the Fire Brigade, you'll notice that the windows on the second floor line up with the ones on the first, and the central section with the garage 'continues' up through the second floor. In your MOC, for example, this could be implemented with the main entrance's 'block' continuing up the front of the building. You can also see this somewhat in SteBrick's MOC, in that the top 2 floors are separated into 3 sections, which continue the lines of the bottom floor and act as color compliments to them. But outside of that, you have a lot of talent and a great team, and I look forward to more MOCs from you guys!

HI everyone and as promised after staring at the Police station for many weeks, I realised many of your comments ( especially the ones listed above) made sense. And so armed with LDD, I made a few major changes to the three floors, mostly concentrating on the following :

1. The middle floor did not flow with the other two floors especially the windows.

2. The building did not sit flush with the other modulars in terms of technic bricks and pins

3. Top floor needed to include sand blue on the tiles

4. Mixture of brick and window styles

So here is middle floor BEFORE and AFTER ( saves having to flick backwards and forwards)

BEFORE

IMG_0185

AFTER

IMG_0296

Top floor has been cleaned up and Sand blue added.

BEFORE

IMG_0206

AFTER

IMG_0294

You will notice we have lost the guns as they just didn't work and added in sand blue columns to match the other two floors . Also expanded the windows from two to three to give more light and match the middle floor .

Ground floor has only been tweaked to include the half pin technic to fill up the P in the Police sign and also add in sand blue instead of white.

BEFORE

IMG_0153

AFTER

IMG_0298

We have also moved the entire ground floor back two studs to make it line up with the other modulars. God that was a pain !! The whole raised floor was under pinned so that all had to be moved and the pavement altered but we agree it looks better now.

IMG_0299

And finally all three floors together . 

BEFORE

IMG_0234

AFTER

IMG_0290IMG_0289

We hope you like the alterations we have made, any other suggestions are welcome. 

Thank you !

Edited by swisstony

This is very nice. I still think Lego should add a police station and a hospital to the modular line. A nice addition would be a passage next to it, and a parking lot at the back for the police cars. 

23 minutes ago, Svendp said:

This is very nice. I still think Lego should add a police station and a hospital to the modular line. A nice addition would be a passage next to it, and a parking lot at the back for the police cars. 

Glad you like the changes we have made from the original concept. We also agree that Lego need a Police station in the lineup as currently the mini figures are running amok in the street without a care in the world and although they have a detective onsite, he is far too busy tracking down cheating husbands :)  And the poor fire brigade have their work cut out rescuing cats stuck up in trees and putting out fires. So we need some proper laws and order .. it seems we are not alone in thinking this as there have been quite a few Police stations come along in the last few months so we are on to something !

We would have liked to put space for parking etc but to be honest the 32x32 base is so tight and we would have had to make it huge ( 2 plates) to accommodate that ..see Dakar A on how he did his http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/149518-moc-police-headquarters/ or lose some of the interior details and rooms. Its a tough choice but I see your point. Thanks for the comments though, always appreciated.

2 hours ago, swisstony said:

We would have liked to put space for parking etc but to be honest the 32x32 base is so tight and we would have had to make it huge ( 2 plates) to accommodate that ..see Dakar A on how he did his http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/149518-moc-police-headquarters/ or lose some of the interior details and rooms. Its a tough choice but I see your point. Thanks for the comments though, always appreciated.

hi there,

i wasn't talking about "shrinking" your design, but maybe add a 16x32 baseplate next to it, with a guard and a gate bar or something like that :)

Thanks for the link to the other police headquarters. 

ah I see what you mean .. we wanted it to fit into the street so hence the 32x32 and also pass scrutiny for Lego Ideas so hence making it that size. But I like the idea of the extra 16 plate , could have a lot of fun with that plan :)

Looks better...but since your modifying it I have another suggestion. :laugh:

It's still really flat on the front, what about moving the front entrance (the ridged 2x2 cylinders, doors, and sign) out one stud. You could even bring the center of that first row of 1x2 ridged bricks out as well.

Also, the hat on the third floor is not centered vertically in the space. Either move it down or add some additional police stuff below it to fill up the white area and add some complexity.

Edited by gotoAndLego

The first version was good, but the changes make it a whoe lot more cohesive as a building.  Looks great!

Thanks for taking my suggestion! It looks even better than it did before. I would say its perfect and blends even better with the buildings surrounding it. Nice job again! I really hope to see more of your MOCs in the future 

Hi  my hubby is really wanting to add a police station to his street - do you have the plans for this one as he would like to have a helicopter on the top