Sign in to follow this  
Didumos69

Embedding 3D views in posts

I don't know if this is the right thread for this (yes, I'm one of those guys that doesn't look beyond the Technic forum), but I really think it would add value to Eurobricks if we could embed 3D views on our digital design files stored in for instance Bricksafe. Just like this. What do others think?

I think it would be awesome, but I am wondering how fast and how big the additional load would be to view a topic when this is used on big models. Your example is pretty small and even that takes 2-3 secs (on my connection and pc anyway) to "fetch" the bricks. How long would a 1k part model take? And if embedded, how much extra data would this be when loading a topic? I asked this mostly from a phone-user perspective where at least in our country people have data plans. Having it be a link instead of embedded would provide the choice to the user to spend his MB's on that or not.

2 minutes ago, Appie said:

I think it would be awesome, but I am wondering how fast and how big the additional load would be to view a topic when this is used on big models. Your example is pretty small and even that takes 2-3 secs (on my connection and pc anyway) to "fetch" the bricks. How long would a 1k part model take? And if embedded, how much extra data would this be when loading a topic? I asked this mostly from a phone-user perspective where at least in our country people have data plans. Having it be a link instead of embedded would provide the choice to the user to spend his MB's on that or not.

Good point. I would say it should work just like the viewer on bricklink. Show a 2D image and a button to switch to 3D. Only after pressing that button the bricks are loaded. I tried the bricklink viewer with my rugged supercar (2750 parts) and that took about 5 seconds to load.

While I support the idea of having embedded models, I don't think Stud.io is a great choice.  From their Terms (full version here):

7.2 By publishing any content to any public areas of the Site where other Site users have access to your content including but not limited to Catalog, Build Gallery and forums of the Site, you grant to BrickLink an irrevocable, a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive and sub-licensable right to use your content in any manner as BrickLink deems appropriate in relation to the operation of the Site.

I'd rather keep the full rights to the stuff I create and share it as digital files.

Edit: For comparison, here's the ownership note from Rebrickable (full terms here):

All materials related to MOCs uploaded to Rebrickable, remained owned by the original content creator. However, Rebrickable may choose to use images or renders of 3D models in it's marketing material.

Edited by BusterHaus

Maybe it could be implemented, so a user would have to click on the 3D view to load it, rather than load it when the page loads. I think it would be cool, as I could export any of my models as an .obj file from blender, so it would have a 360° rendered view.

I am gonna try uploading something to sketchfab and embed it here, and see if it works.

9 minutes ago, BusterHaus said:

While I support the idea of having embedded models, I don't think Stud.io is a great choice.  From their Terms (full version here):

I'd rather keep the full rights to the stuff I create and share it as digital files.

Edit: For comparison, here's the ownership note from Rebrickable:

I did not mean to reuse the Bricklink viewer. Eurobricks could have a similar viewer that can be fed with a link to a digital design file hosted on Bricksafe or likewise.

Edited by Didumos69

25 minutes ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

[sketchfab]77e8cc4e04734dfdbdcbf2b02b419afe[/sketchfab]
Test Brick by Tommy Styrvoky on Sketchfab

Must be a plugin problem, though It should work, but eurobricks is missing the sketchfab plugin

Something like this is indeed what I mean, but it would be nice if you could directly link to a hosted design file, for instance an LDraw file. I do understand that this is not as easy as it may seem, as the viewer will have to load all parts referred to by such a file, but if Bricklink can do it, it should be possible here too.

Edited by Didumos69

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

Something like this is indeed what I mean, but it would be nice if you could directly link to a hosted design file, for instance an LDraw file. I do understand that this is not as easy as it may seem, as the viewer will have to load all parts referred to by such a file, but if Bricklink can do it, it should be possible here too.

Maybe it would be something to request on the bricklink forms, and option to embed the 3D view, as for me to get my model into a form that worked with sketchfab required me to import into Blender and bake the materials from the model to textures. Another suggestion would be to use Mecabricks, as they also utilize a 3D view, though it is only in html format for the viewer. If only Eurobricks allowed HTML and bbcode. 

Then I could embed this http://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/L0Qa3Zb7vMo

[iframe] frameborder="0" height="480" width="640" allowFullScreen webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel="" src="http://www.mecabricks.com/embed/L0Qa3Zb7vMo">[/iframe]

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky