MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

3 hours ago, w219 said:

My opinion is that the upcoming Y wing is at the right scale. I have come to the conclusion that a minifigure is roughly 1:38 scale then Y wing is almost perfect size.

The only thing that bothers me about this set, is the disparition of the droid bodies for the wings.

A 1:38 scale minifig means a human is 152cm high. That isn’t right at all.

It isn’t really at scale if we go by a minifig being the same height as a human. A Y-Wing is 77ft long and a human is 6ft tall - that’s a ratio of 77:6. If we apply that ratio to the minifig height we get 51.33 cm for the length of the Y-Wing to be in perfect scale. 75181 is 61cm long. That’s 18.83% larger than perfect scale.

The 75172 Rogue One Y-Wing is 41cm long, which makes it 79.87% the size of perfect scale, or 20.13% smaller than perfect scale.

Both are out of scale by effectively the same amount, just in opposite ways

Edited by Bartybum

On 4/29/2018 at 8:36 PM, KevinMD said:

Seriously, what a dumb idea. Between lego and/or the postal system losing my black card and these lame promos I’m annoyed I bothered in the first place. 

I didn’t mean to get everyone upset about the poster. I actually like the posters... :blush:

In fact, I’m still just disappointed it isn’t a movie-style Episode 8, Rogue one, or Solo poster... some day TLG will suddenly remember that they forgot to finish the poster series! Someday.

8 hours ago, Bartybum said:

A 1:38 scale minifig means a human is 152cm high. That isn’t right at all.

It isn’t really at scale if we go by a minifig being the same height as a human. A Y-Wing is 77ft long and a human is 6ft tall - that’s a ratio of 77:6. If we apply that ratio to the minifig height we get 51.33 cm for the length of the Y-Wing to be in perfect scale. 75181 is 61cm long. That’s 18.83% larger than perfect scale.

The 75172 Rogue One Y-Wing is 41cm long, which makes it 79.87% the size of perfect scale, or 20.13% smaller than perfect scale.

Both are out of scale by effectively the same amount, just in opposite ways

Well a lego minifig is when only considering the height, around 1:45 and when only considering the width, it is 1:30. So if you do the average of both of them you have a scale of 1:37.5, approximately 1:38 which makes the upcoming y wing at the right scale. But if you want perfect scale for lego minifig, you would have ships that have the same proportions as the lego minifig so it is an endless debate i think. Is the lower price of it compared to other ucs with a close amount of piece a good new for the future ucs or it is just a test to see if it sells more ?

Does anybody find it interesting that Jabba's Palace is visible in the background of 75206's packaging? Feels a bit out of place given it is a battle pack of Jedi and Clones. Considering LEGO seem to have returned to the Tatooine theme recently (a new Mos Eisley Cantina, a battle pack and a system-scale Sandcrawler on the way), is it plausible that a remake of Jabba's Palace could be coming soon, perhaps in this winter's wave? It's been 6 years since it was last released. Just a thought to consider. 

30 minutes ago, Renown said:

Does anybody find it interesting that Jabba's Palace is visible in the background of 75206's packaging? Feels a bit out of place given it is a battle pack of Jedi and Clones. Considering LEGO seem to have returned to the Tatooine theme recently (a new Mos Eisley Cantina, a battle pack and a system-scale Sandcrawler on the way), is it plausible that a remake of Jabba's Palace could be coming soon, perhaps in this winter's wave? It's been 6 years since it was last released. Just a thought to consider. 

Possible, even more if Jabba makes his appearance in Solo.

Have someone here kept tracking on which sets that were depicted on boxes later came reality? And the contrary how many scenes that has been depicted in the background boxes without coming into play later

I don't know if the controversy over the last Jabbas Palace has passed but I seem to remember at the time there being a statement about the release and it's similarity to a Turkish mosque. Lego said that it was just showing the palace as seen in Star Wars... there was a general sense at the time that it wouldn't be released again (or at least for quite a while, I can't remember it exactly but it rings a bell)... same with whether or not there'll be a Slave Leia figure released again.

The fact that the likeness of the Palace has appeared again on packaging might indicate that it's something they'd look at. There's really no need for it to be there as it's just over Barriss' shoulder but if I was a Lego designer I'd be doing stuff like that all day long to mess with people's heads.

There's been loads of things that have appeared on Lego SW packaging that doesn't necessarily preclude an imminent release. People will still point at something and say 'Look... I told you it was coming' even if it's 3-4 years later. It's Star Wars and the OT is a finite visual world so releases will be repeated and images will appear on packaging. We've had Death Stars appearing in the back of things before now from a completely different movie. The TIE Fighter has a Star Destroyer below it on the box... I'm not looking at that as any kind of clue to an upcoming release.

Appreciate the feedback. It was more the fact that the Tatooine battle pack depicted a Sandcrawler in the upper right corner, and then along comes a Sandcrawler in the summer wave of this year that got me thinking. If you look at the box art of 75206, Jabba's Palace is partially cut-off much like the Sandcrawler is. There is of course a window open to re-release Jabba's Palace in this year's winter wave or at least the Easter wave of 2019, given LEGO won't be in the merchandise race for the release date of an upcoming film until late 2019. Just seems that there could potentially be a recurring theme with the box art of the battle packs, so it at least shouldn't be ruled out until there is anything that suggests otherwise. If we look at some of the more recent battle packs, the overwhelming majority of them just have a terrain surface of some description as there background, so there must be some logic to the selection of Jabba's Palace in the background of one. What that logic is will naturally be a mystery until someone can shed anymore light on it. But then again, it could just be nothing. Guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Wow. Gone for 1 weekend and look what this place turns into. Seriously guys? Stay on target! Let's talk about upcoming sets. Not wish-list items. Not our feelings about the Black Card promos. Not frustration over how much information is leaked.

3 hours ago, Robianco said:

I don't know if the controversy over the last Jabbas Palace has passed but I seem to remember at the time there being a statement about the release and it's similarity to a Turkish mosque. Lego said that it was just showing the palace as seen in Star Wars... there was a general sense at the time that it wouldn't be released again (or at least for quite a while, I can't remember it exactly but it rings a bell)... same with whether or not there'll be a Slave Leia figure released again.

The fact that the likeness of the Palace has appeared again on packaging might indicate that it's something they'd look at. There's really no need for it to be there as it's just over Barriss' shoulder but if I was a Lego designer I'd be doing stuff like that all day long to mess with people's heads.

The press that Lego received in 2013 about 9516 was toxic. They had major news outlets all over the world reporting that they were disrespecting Turkish architecture / Muslim culture and it was a PR nightmare. No way TLG willingly goes down that path again. 

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/01/24/is-this-lego-star-wars-toy-racist/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/01/lego-jabbas-palace-racism_n_2993978.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-racist-menace-muslims-declare-victory-in-fight-over-anti-islamic-lego-8555610.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/austria/9820517/Lego-accused-of-racism-with-Star-Wars-set.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2302312/Muslim-victory-fight-anti-Islamic-lego-Denmark-axes-Jabbas-Palace-toy.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelpeck/2013/04/04/does-jabba-the-huts-palace-really-look-like-a-mosque/

With May the Fourth coming this week, are we expecting anything to be announced? They announced the Falcon at the end of August 2017 and the Y Wing was revealed in early April. I was doing some digging on Google... but it didn't seem like May the Fourth was historically a day for Lego to be revealing anything new. 

Does this mean that UCS 75222 (whatever it may be) won't be revealed until the end of summer? If so, we have a minimum three more months of speculation to look forward to.

What an amazing set (great box art and video as well)! Can't wait to get my hands on it even if I'm not a Star Wars fan! :excited:

Edited by LegoModularFan

5 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

Thank you!!! Love it

48 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

Wow. Gone for 1 weekend and look what this place turns into. Seriously guys? Stay on target! Let's talk about upcoming sets. Not wish-list items. Not our feelings about the Black Card promos. Not frustration over how much information is leaked.

Glad that you are back, finally some rules again.

The video is great as is the y wing. The only disapointments are the disparition of the droid bodies, the canopy which is not brickbuilt and not extremely accurate and the minifigure, i am not fan of his facial ewpression, i would have prefered a neutral face.

Some time before it was 1966 pieces on lego shop, now it is 1967 or did i misrode it before ?

3 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

What an amazing set (great box art and video as well)! Can't wait to get my hands on it even if I'm not a Star Wars fan! :excited:

Finally! Amazing set. One of my favorite UCS ever.

The Y-wing designer video is cool. And I love that the designer literally wears his fandom on his ‘sleeve’. My only concern with Y-Wing is that it looks very unstable on the angled stand. If it’s anything like the most recent UCS Snowspeeder...mine is listing under it’s own weight.

1 hour ago, Markalus said:

The Y-wing designer video is cool. And I love that the designer literally wears his fandom on his ‘sleeve’. My only concern with Y-Wing is that it looks very unstable on the angled stand. If it’s anything like the most recent UCS Snowspeeder...mine is listing under it’s own weight.

Most of the sets these days wobble on the stands. All that weight on a small connection will do that. He seems to be spinning it round without much fear of it breaking though.

20 minutes ago, will said:

Most of the sets these days wobble on the stands. All that weight on a small connection will do that. He seems to be spinning it round without much fear of it breaking though.

The feet on the opposing side of my UCS Snowspeeder literally comes off the ground when I have it displayed off axis. It’s not a build error as I checked it several times. It’s a known issue as the angle is too acute...it cover the display plaque too. I hope the Y-wing is not the same. I never had the same issue with the previous UCS Snowspeeder, also displayed on a roll axis.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, MKJoshA said:
  • Stay on target. stayontarget.gif
  • No wish lists. Remember that this topic is for discussing sets that are rumored to come in 2018. If it's something you wish to see or something you think that we will see sometime in the future, but not something that's actually rumored to be a 2018 set, then it is pure speculation and it belongs in the Future Star Wars Sets topic. (We also have a topic for minifigs you want to see, which might be more appropriate.)
  • No fighting. Yes, we actually have to post that!
  • If you post news in this thread, it will not be transferred over to the 2018 News thread.  Be smart, think about what you are posting and in what thread you are posting. This IS your warning!
  • If you choose to post fabricated information; you can expect to be banned. It's not worth the fifteen minutes of internet fame.
  • Do not post watermarked or confidential images; they will be removed and the poster will be dealt with appropriately. As stated in our Member Guidelines:
    Sinner said:

If you find an image of a new LEGO set and it is incredibly blurry or stamped "Confidential", it is a leak-please don't post it here. If you are uncertain, PM a member of the staff for guidance and include a link to the questionable material.

This topic is for 2018 discussion, not 2019, and not 2017.  We will make a new topic when we feel it is necessary.  If your post was on the boards, and now it's not...there is a good chance it was either hidden or moved.  Off topic posts, placing info in the wrong thread, or a request from LEGO to remove something; these are all possible reasons why something may have disappeared.

From what I've seen posted over the last weekend...I think this needs to be stated...AGAIN! 

It's not very difficult.  Start a new topic or add to another one.  Use the search function; even if the post is an older one but the conversation matters, then add to it.  And yes, in order for everyone to see this, this post is getting locked for a bit.  If you have news...INCREDIBLE NEWS!!!!  Then you know where it goes.  Once I unlock the thread, I'll just go back to throwing people out who cannot follow the rules.

There is a leaked info about 75222 Cloud City set over on Instagram. Actually about it's box size.

Dimensions: 59.8 cm x 49.9 cm x 26.5 cm.

For comparison - 75192 Millennium Falcon: 83.8 cm x 55.9 cm x 20.3 cm.

It isn't sure or confirmed info.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

It is after midnight in Europe now and the new Y-wing is now available at the online shop. I did not expect it to go live before tomorrow morning like with the UCS falcon. Just ordered mine!

15 minutes ago, Scarecrowman said:

It is after midnight in Europe now and the new Y-wing is now available at the online shop. I did not expect it to go live before tomorrow morning like with the UCS falcon. Just ordered mine!

Yep, it's now been live in New Zealand on the online Lego shop... BUT, as it is under $400 NZ ($349), it will cost $80 to ship it... lol..

What a joke. That's why even with VIP points, and freebie minifigs thrown in, I'll likely never used the Lego store again. Unless there is another UCS Star Destroyer or something, I can't justify a long shipping wait (the first batch of Falcons took a really long time to ship to Australia and New Zealand, even for the VIP pre-orders) and high shipping costs just to buy direct from Lego

I'll go down and buy it from Toyworld or somewhere. Failing that Mighty Ape ship for free... I don't expect free shipping, but I've had bigger heavier boxes delivered from Popcultcha in Australia, or Hot Toys in Hong Kong than your typical UCS Lego fighter for much less...

Edited by kiwiatlarge