MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

Liking the Iooks of the Vaders castle. Looks like a nice playset and also like a great set for kids to play with. Great job. 

1 hour ago, GryffindorResistance said:

Anyone know what's planned for the 20th Anniversary? What Lego should do would be make one set for each movie.

These could be the smaller sets

. Podracer (I)

. Speeder Bikes (VI)

. Rey vs Kylo (VII)

. Anakin vs Obi-Wan (III)

These could be the bigger sets

. Republic Gunship (II)

. AT-AT (V)

. Tantive IV (IV)

. Kylo Ren's Shuttle (including duel with Luke) (VIII)

please refrain from this kind of wishlists, within an instance, it becomes a romour. 

Wow, surprised to see Vader's Castle revealed so soon!

I like it and will definitely order it. Not a big fan of the (Midi) Advanced TIE Fighter and the Imperial Guards, but it has a lot of very cool play features as well as display features.
I'll probably switch the Imperial Guards for the Imperial Shadow Guards, the darker colors should fit better with the tone of the castle, I think.

Regards,
Mitch

23 minutes ago, CF Mitch said:

Wow, surprised to see Vader's Castle revealed so soon!

I like it and will definitely order it. Not a big fan of the (Midi) Advanced TIE Fighter and the Imperial Guards, but it has a lot of very cool play features as well as display features.
I'll probably switch the Imperial Guards for the Imperial Shadow Guards, the darker colors should fit better with the tone of the castle, I think.

Regards,
Mitch

I think ist is Not a matter of “fits better”, nur “what hoy can see in the movie/series”...(-;

I really like the Vader’s Castle set. Ever since Rogue One I’ve thought that set needs to be made. I did not think it would be this soon though. It does look a little plain but that’s no fault of Lego it’s just how the castle looks. It’s kinda pricey so we’ll see about getting it. There’s a lot to get next year already and an expensive set like this may or may not fit into the LEGO budget. I hope I can get it a it would make an excellent display alongside Hogwarts Castle and Tower Of Orthanc. Start a display for all the castles and towers from all the fandoms

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

As soon as I saw it I knew I was going to pre-order it.  It looks great (such an iconic location) and has some cool features.  So, I took the plunge this morning on https://shop.lego.com/ to earn points and to qualify for the 40300 : Han Solo Mudtrooper.

There are really only three things I would have preferred to be different in the set:

• The inclusion of Vaneé - Vader's cloaked attendant from Rogue One
  • Made the set a larger Master Builder Series set - like 75222 : Betrayal at Cloud City and included the platform/area where Vader meets with Director Krennic
  • Added a light brick so that the lava flow would glow

16 hours ago, Dukeside said:

...or some made up character that doesn't exist...

I think its time for a sit down to discuss the concept of fiction... none of it exists.

13 hours ago, anothergol said:

I don't care for that set, but it'll bring us 35480.png in LBG, can't complain!

How do you guys always spot these things first sight :D !

Anyway, not bad set I say. Lil expensive. it appears larger than it is i think.

Oh and I agree that making thread about new releases just because 'noone else did' is somewhat expandable. I do realize that 250 page threads might be daunting but remember, news are always at the very end, so once you first subscribe to that, you can always just check the latest discussion, without having to ever care for what happened on all those previous pages. Unless there is a significant set (ucs/cloud city) I feel like making a thread just needlessly shifts other possibly interesting content away. Remember that it is most likely that every lego (SW) fan will almost certainly notice the release from other source, perhaps directly from lego...

I'm really debating wether to buy this set or not. It has a great selection of minifigs although I really don't need another Vader, the Royal guards and hovertank pilot is one of the things missing from my collection. The Tie fighter seems like a nicely done mini model and looks pretty good to me. I want the set, but then I also realized that the clone wars wave is coming out soon and CW is definitely better. If the next wave is gonna be crappy resistance sets, then I wouldn't hesistate to buy this!

I like the castle, but I'm really curious why they based the set on an obscure VR experience rather than the scene from Rogue One. I approve of it--a Krennic figure would have fit, but he's been made well enough, so I'd rather have the new tank driver--but what's the logic behind that from LEGO's perspective? This is the most recent of several sets recently that have come way out of left field, at least in terms of source material. 75204 Sandspeeder is based on concept art for a cancelled Kenner toy from 1986, for god's sake. The Republic fighter tank (75182) hasn't appeared anywhere in Star Wars since the previous LEGO version was released in 2009, and Grievous's combat speeder (75199) only appeared briefly in a single episode of TCW in 2012. The Azure Angel set has been a while ago now (2015), but that was another completely unexpected one. I'm not complaining about any of these sets, but I find them baffling. I can't imagine how LEGO makes the decisions that lead to them. What fraction of their customers would even recognize any of those vehicles? The population of folks dedicated enough to have tracked down the 2002 Clone Wars microseries or have heard of the VR thing is probably an audience LEGO wants to cultivate, but it has to be a fraction of a percent of the people who buy sets.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher
2007 --> 2009, but the point stands

17 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I like the castle, but I'm really curious why they based the set on an obscure VR experience rather than the scene from Rogue One. I approve of it--a Krennic figure would have fit, but he's been made well enough, so I'd rather have the new tank driver--but what's the logic behind that from LEGO's perspective? This is the most recent of several sets recently that have come way out of left field, at least in terms of source material. 75204 Sandspeeder is based on concept art for a cancelled Kenner toy from 1986, for god's sake. The Republic fighter tank (75182) hasn't appeared anywhere in Star Wars since the previous LEGO version was released in 2009, and Grievous's combat speeder (75199) only appeared briefly in a single episode of TCW in 2012. The Azure Angel set has been a while ago now (2015), but that was another completely unexpected one. I'm not complaining about any of these sets, but I find them baffling. I can't imagine how LEGO makes the decisions that lead to them. What fraction of their customers would even recognize any of those vehicles? The population of folks dedicated enough to have tracked down the 2002 Clone Wars microseries or have heard of the VR thing is probably an audience LEGO wants to cultivate, but it has to be a fraction of a percent of the people who buy sets.

I would imagine it's not entirely TLG's decision what to make into a set. I guess they asked Lucasfilm: we could put out a surprise set for the holidays, what do you want to promote? And then Lucasfilm was like:"well heck, dunno, we don't have anything significant coming out in the next 1 year (except for the animated series but who knows how that will go down), so I guess...Vader's Castle from the VR game?"

Well Vader's Castle also looks a bit like a Nexo Knights tower, i mean, i think kids dig these kinda builds. It's the castle of Darth Vader, the home of the bad guy. If he's not in space on some sort of ship he makes his breakfast and reads his papers there. Castle Darthskull. Good versus bad, and here sleeps bad. Add some cool figs and if i still was a kid this would be high on my wishlist. I think in the end this will be bought more often than we think.

As Brobert has said, they may have a list of things that are available to help promote across various media, whether that be comics, games, movies, TV shows etc. 

There may have been a discussion that a set like this would help to promote the game as well as having ties with Rogue One and it's appearance in comics.

Plus, Disney so far could only really cash in on material that is - one way or another - somehow connected to Vader. So I expect the Vader myth to expand, and obscure characters from his vicinity popping up here and there...

2 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

Kessel Mine Worker polybag is at Barnes & Nobles in the States. Available with a $29.95 Lego purchase.

and it’s any lego. not just star wars. 

i bought my daughters’ sets of various themes and each order i got the miner. 

it’s valid both online and in store  

9 minutes ago, RealGeronimo11 said:

I really hope we get sets from the Mandalorian because the armour looks so coooooool 

Is this a wish list request? Those don't belong in this thread. Is this a reference to a new movie? If so, please provide more details.

Just now, MKJoshA said:

Is this a wish list request? Those don't belong in this thread. Is this a reference to a new movie? If so, please provide more details.

a photo from the favreau TV show came out yesterday [show is going to be called 'the mandalorian'] ... a lone mandalorian gunfighter ... and it looks so freaking cool ... idk if it belongs here or not ... 

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/04/the-mandalorian-star-wars-disney-streaming/

it has a very 'good bad and ugly' vibe going ...

49 minutes ago, Tidy said:

a photo from the favreau TV show came out yesterday [show is going to be called 'the mandalorian'] ... a lone mandalorian gunfighter ... and it looks so freaking cool ... idk if it belongs here or not ... 

Yeah, that totally belongs here. Now for the long wait before release.

1 hour ago, RealGeronimo11 said:

I really hope we get sets from the Mandalorian because the armour looks so coooooool 

No, that's a wishlist beginning to form!

59 minutes ago, Tidy said:

Which should be fantastic!  

But, as we do not have sets yet for any of this, it should most likely go in the Culture & Multimedia section.  As soon as set info comes out, this is most definitely the place for that!

The design of Vader's Castle is so on the nose for villian lair, it reminds me of George Lucas' naming of Elan Sleazebaggano.

• Shaped like his head, especially the mouth piece vents
  • Flowing lava / volcano shape
  • Not a tourist destination
  • Place has history (still looking for his arms and legs?)

All it needs is a big laser and trapdoors.

And anyone else thinks the interior is like a Sith Spa?

• Meditation chamber looks like a tiny Jacuzzi
  • Bacta bath
  • Attendees in robes
  • Suana / Hot Springs via lava flow
Edited by badbob001
typo

22 hours ago, lomis said:

As soon as I saw it I knew I was going to pre-order it.  It looks great (such an iconic location) and has some cool features.  So, I took the plunge this morning on https://shop.lego.com/ to earn points and to qualify for the 40300 : Han Solo Mudtrooper.

There are really only three things I would have preferred to be different in the set:

• The inclusion of Vaneé - Vader's cloaked attendant from Rogue One
  • Made the set a larger Master Builder Series set - like 75222 : Betrayal at Cloud City and included the platform/area where Vader meets with Director Krennic
  • Added a light brick so that the lava flow would glow

Point one and three I agree, not like vaneé is an important character and he is easy to moc, but still, are not any other characters really that feel attached to the set so much more relevant than a normal trooper. 

However for point three, the main reason I dont agree with you is that SW is already bad at location sets, so to see a mid size location set it's not something we have had since Jabbas Palace in 2012, so I definitely welcome this initiative and hope they continue to drop a new location set this size, on top of an eventual master builder set each year. It's not that it wouldn't be nice as a master builder set, but there are so many other locations from the OT and PT that would take priority as becoming a master builder series.