MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

What I really like about the Vader's Castle set is that despite being massively downscaled from how big it actually is, it still looks menacing. The shaping and angles are just so good. 

Well happy that this turned out to be true, because this is a great set. Reminds me a little of Garmadon's Volcano Lair, except here the exterior not sloppy. Fantastic minifigures, the new Bacta Tank Vader is great. Though 5 for such an expansive set so a little disappointing, Krennic or The Emperor would have been welcomed. The outside looks terrific and menacing, looks like something Vader would reside in. The mini tie is fine, nothing special but it doesn't take away from the set. I think the interior is really nice and cool, has a good amount of different rooms. Overall really digging this set, so far this is the only Star Wars set of 2019 that interest me besides the 20th anniversary sets. 

I kind of only like the Bacta tank mini figure and Vaders lair/pod whatever it's called. I have no use for more royal guards, or some made up character that doesn't exist. I may just purchase the minifig separate and build my own pod & Bacta tank.

Mother.... I tohught my morning would start well, just seeing this as I woke up in the morning...until I saw the price on my local S@H...170 CHF :wall: what the hel is wrong with these people...it's more expensive than the sandcrawler which has almost 200 more pieces...seriously...

Now TRU is my only hope, although not many retailers would sell it for this price,  just as the porg is already discounted to a more realistic rice point in every proper shop...

As many people have stated before me, the price-to-parts ratio isn't a good indicator of value since parts have a huge range of size :wink: The castle set has a lot of large plates and wedges thus increasing the price without impacting the parts count too much. Personally, I'm fine with the price, 169 CHF isn't too bad for this :thumbup:

And yeah, I was totally wrong about Vader's legs, my bad :innocent:

9 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

As many people have stated before me, the price-to-parts ratio isn't a good indicator of value since parts have a huge range of size :wink: The castle set has a lot of large plates and wedges thus increasing the price without impacting the parts count too much. Personally, I'm fine with the price, 169 CHF isn't too bad for this :thumbup:

I am more infuriated with the price compared to other countries, every set is more expensive here then anywhere else in Europe or America. Which is baffling taking the low VAT-rates into account. But anyway, I only buy sets directly from Lego when I absolutely have to, otherwise you can always find them much cheaper somewhere else. It's worth better to go to Germany, and I can even get the VAT back from there.

9 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

No one else had made one, so I figured what the hey. 

Does this really warrant it's own thread? I mean the general 2018 discussion is full of it right now anyway. Or are we making separate topics for every set now?

54 minutes ago, brobert said:

Or are we making separate topics for every set now?

Perhaps it would help to make this forum more readable?! I mean whoever even thought that those endless tapeworm topics with 250+ pages are a good idea? I certainly don't care for them.

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

hmmm didn't have high hopes for this, but from the exterior I think it looks very good.  Captures the look of Vaders castle well,  I like these types of scene based sets, very displayable and still has play ability, best of both worlds.  Not a big fan of the price however, I will probably get this at some point, however I might wait for it to go on sale.

7 hours ago, Markalus said:

Brikky, Amazon.au became a proper store late 2017 with free shipping on orders over $49 so hopefully it will become available there. But, being an exclusive I doubt we will see any discounts any time soon so a better option would be S@H. At least there is VIP points and currently Han mud trooper poly. As you pointed out, things have improved significantly for us Aussies on S@H recently! I love the castle; it has everything I could ask for. Maybe updated royal guards would have increased the ‘value’ for collectors but I can’t see how they could improve the previous design. Actually, the Tie Advanced looks a bit rubbish at this scale; there is nothing but studs behind the cockpit window piece. 

Today I learned. I’ll have to check it out next time I make a LEGO purchase, thanks for letting me know! :)

Edited by Brikkyy13

26 minutes ago, Mylenium said:

Perhaps it would help to make this forum more readable?! I mean who ever even thought that those endless tapeworm topics with 250+ pages are a good idea? I certainly don't care for them.

Mylenium

You do have a point there, but I'm not sure a separate topic for each set would make it much better in the long run. 1 year and we'd have more topics than we could follow. Perhaps separate threads for different type of sets (UCS, MBS, normal system sets) would be better, but not really my place to say. 

3 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Today I learned. I’ll have to check it out next time I make a LEGO purchase, thanks for letting me know! :)

I really like the set itself, looks complete, even bigger in size than I had expected. None really interstinh minifigures, but that is more due to the scene itself. However the big minus is another tie fighter. Just as with the CC, they are again waisting important pieces on a ship we already have in abundance

1 hour ago, Sneakguest said:

I really like the set itself, looks complete, even bigger in size than I had expected. None really interstinh minifigures, but that is more due to the scene itself. However the big minus is another tie fighter. Just as with the CC, they are again waisting important pieces on a ship we already have in abundance

They are clearly promoting the Vader theme heavily with this, (with the VR project coming and all) which is all fine but yes, a RO-themed minifig-selection/ vehicle (think a small size version of Krennic's shuttle + Krennic and the creepy servant guy from the movie maybe) would've been nicer.

BTW is this the same TIE Advanced as in the DS sets?

41 minutes ago, brobert said:

BTW is this the same TIE Advanced as in the DS sets?

Nope. Similar but many new elements used.

This set is amazing! Great play features, fantastic build (interior and exterior), nuce minifgures. I espiecially love holocron room, meditation chamber and bacta tank room. The price... well, $130 for 1060 pieces? Nah.

It's also interesting to see the first LEGO-specific boxart since the original one from 1999 :thumbup: I assume other 2019 SW merch has similar artwork, just with a regular Vader instead of his minifig counterpart. Too bad it will probably be fairly short-lived since the anniversary sets are rumoured to sport the above-mentioned original boxart again and the Episode IX sets will surely feature new boxart :classic:

I must admit I'm really surprised to see this set... I was sure they would never make Vader's Castle, but here it is. 

I think the set looks pretty decent, but it should have had more new figures. For me the only thing of real interest here is bacta-Vader. But big props to the LEGO designers for pulling this out of the hat, just shows they are not afraid to occasionally venture outside the trodden path.

fwiw ...

amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Vaders-Castle-Building-Pieces/dp/B07J6F8H3M/

amazon is set for nov 26th release

it is at shop at home for dec 1st - free muddy han still applies ...

this is the us sites only ... i didn't look at any other amazons ... 

Just now, GryffindorResistance said:

Is the Starkiller Forest Duel a reliable rumor? 

Heard that one going around lately.

there is something out there with a code name of R vs K ... and is a smallish playset ... take that for what you just paid for it ...

Anyone know what's planned for the 20th Anniversary? What Lego should do would be make one set for each movie.

These could be the smaller sets

. Podracer (I)

. Speeder Bikes (VI)

. Rey vs Kylo (VII)

. Anakin vs Obi-Wan (III)

These could be the bigger sets

. Republic Gunship (II)

. AT-AT (V)

. Tantive IV (IV)

. Kylo Ren's Shuttle (including duel with Luke) (VIII)

16 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I don't really have a frame of reference; I know that Star Wars Lego s more expensive than most other kinds of Lego, but is $129.99 USD a good price for a set of this size? 1060 parts makes it sound bad, but we have to take into account the license tax and the Disney tax.  

The price seems fairly reasonable to me considering how much of the build appears to be made of rather large pieces (layered 3x12 wedges, 6x12 plates, 8x16 plates, 8x8x6 mountain bricks, etc). If the piece count seemed to be mostly small, basic bricks in large quantities like 21030, then yeah, $130 would feel excessive, and I'd expect a more reasonable price point to be $100 or lower. But 12.3 cents per piece isn't unheard of by licensed OR non-licensed standards, and there have certainly been no shortage of Star Wars sets with a worse price per piece, including ones like Home One, Jabba's Palace, and Ewok Village.

Anyway, I think the designers did a really good job here. It's very recognizable even from its brief appearance in Rogue One and includes enough interior detail to recreate some very familiar scenes.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

This set is amazing! Great play features, fantastic build (interior and exterior), nuce minifgures. I espiecially love holocron room, meditation chamber and bacta tank room. The price... well, $130 for 1060 pieces? Nah.

140 over here, to much for what it is (some big plates slapped together)... :hmpf_bad:

48 minutes ago, GryffindorResistance said:

Anyone know what's planned for the 20th Anniversary? What Lego should do would be make one set for each movie.

what if they are just taking all the sets that they made in 1999 and re-releasing them ...