MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

It's smaller than I hoped but I like the look from the outside. The top room is pointless but what's that little side build with the statue on it?

9 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Darth Vader’s castle has been revealed! It has 1060 pieces and retails for $120

Is there an official source or just the pics in the usual places? Where did you geht the info about price and piece count?

Edit: Forget it, I was blind :D

Edited by StoneWarsDE

37 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Darth Vader’s castle has been revealed! It has 1060 pieces and retails for $120

They said 129$ since its exclusive guess we wont see a price break from amazon with their usual 20% any time soon.

This is a cool surprise! Wasn't expecting to officially hear about this for a while, much less to have it as an Amazon exclusive (a first for Lego, I believe?)

The outer design looks good but I'm not a fan of the midi/micro scale sets we have been getting recently. 
It would have to have been almost double the piece count (similar to Orthanc) for it to be even close to system scale.  It's another pass for me unfortunately.

Well this is a nice surprise. I was hoping they’d maybe include one more minifig with $130 for 1000 pieces, but I generally like the set.

Am I wrong, or is this set supposed to be based off the Vader Immortal VR?

Love the exterior of it. The interior is well done too despite the little room available. Some of the minor play features (like the spilling lava studs) seem kind of pointless. I also really don't like the new Mouse Droid design. It looks horrible. 

It looks good! And exactly how I thought it would be, Disney Castle Style with a façade. I like how clean the exterior looks, no gaps or holes or exposed technic/coloured bricks. Good addition of the lava fountain too.

And is that a new piece for the Sith Holocron? 

Edited by Tariq j

So.... Since it's an Amazon US exclusive, will this set be sold on Lego Shop@Home in Europe? Or we Euro citizens won't be able to buy it and we will have to search for it in the aftermarket? I'm so tired of theese US exclusive/impossible to find in other countries sets...

Wow! Much better than expected, a bit pricey but overall a very good set. It's somewhat similar in its design to Harry Potter's Hogwarts sets. I like that. And the new Vader minifig is great.

At €129,99 at least in Germany $129,99 (see https://www.promobricks.de/lego-star-wars-75251-darth-vaders-castle-offizielle-set-bilder/69305). At this price, it's usually the same in € in most EU countries. Let's see.

Edited by dvogon
Fixed. It also says $ in the German site.

1 hour ago, Sinthoras said:

In the video on this site they say that the set is going to be available for preorder tomorrow on amazon. Does that mean the release is this year?

Picture via starwarsblog.starwars.com

What else would it be? Isn't tomorrow still 2018? Yes I know that 2019 sets can be in a few stores in late december, but it would be ridiculous if this one would be counted as a 2019 set. 

Anyway, nice surprise that there were more in store for 2018, and that nobody knew of this until very recently

28 minutes ago, Casta16 said:

So.... Since it's an Amazon US exclusive, will this set be sold on Lego Shop@Home in Europe? Or we Euro citizens won't be able to buy it and we will have to search for it in the aftermarket? I'm so tired of theese US exclusive/impossible to find in other countries sets...

Star Wars have not had any US exclusives at all (except those few comic con sets, which I almost dont count since they are so small and don't have any exclusive pieces or mini figures) so I don't understand what you mean? If its not the case that you refer to the TRU exclusives and the others which always are available in the lego brand stores anyway.

Additionally, it's nice that we finally have a Rogue One set again after almost 2 years of absence

31 minutes ago, Casta16 said:

As far as I’m aware, Amazon is still only for books here in Australia so it better be available through other channels. I’m starting to get realy pissed at LEGO for giving the US preferential treatment. Brand stores, exclusive sets, better prices, earlier releases, wider set availability... the list goes on. If you’re selling your products worldwide you should at least act like you care about everyone. (In their defence, Australia did just get a new S@H warehouse so orders are finally arriving in a few days instead of a month, so that’s been the step in the right direction.)

No one else had made one, so I figured what the hey. 

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/10/03/lego-star-wars-75251-darth-vaders-castle-is-unveiled-news/

Personally, I like this thing a lot. I'm not big on Star Wars stuff, but I could see myself getting this to repurpose for MOCs. 

I don't really have a frame of reference; I know that Star Wars Lego s more expensive than most other kinds of Lego, but is $129.99 USD a good price for a set of this size? 1060 parts makes it sound bad, but we have to take into account the license tax and the Disney tax. 

Edited by Feng-huang0296

Well even though I am in the US it doesn't look like I will be getting this set, unless Amazon opens a brick and mortar store in my area soon. I guess that's okay anyway because to me that thing is laughable at best, a castle really, looks more like an outhouse over priced at that. Maybe true to the source material just way out of scale. Yes I do get that most Star Wars sets are not actually full scale and generally command a premium price but to me this is just absurd, should have just went ahead and made it microbuild. Sorry for the rant I usually don't really care but I just had to say something about it and to anybody that likes it, not trying to change their opinion. 

2 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

As far as I’m aware, Amazon is still only for books here in Australia so it better be available through other channels. I’m starting to get realy pissed at LEGO for giving the US preferential treatment. Brand stores, exclusive sets, better prices, earlier releases, wider set availability... the list goes on. If you’re selling your products worldwide you should at least act like you care about everyone. (In their defence, Australia did just get a new S@H warehouse so orders are finally arriving in a few days instead of a month, so that’s been the step in the right direction.)

Brikky, Amazon.au became a proper store late 2017 with free shipping on orders over $49 so hopefully it will become available there. But, being an exclusive I doubt we will see any discounts any time soon so a better option would be S@H. At least there is VIP points and currently Han mud trooper poly. As you pointed out, things have improved significantly for us Aussies on S@H recently! I love the castle; it has everything I could ask for. Maybe updated royal guards would have increased the ‘value’ for collectors but I can’t see how they could improve the previous design. Actually, the Tie Advanced looks a bit rubbish at this scale; there is nothing but studs behind the cockpit window piece. 

Edited by Markalus

Vader's Castle looks amazing! Bigger than I was expecting but that is only a good thing. I like all the details they've managed to cram in - the Bacta Tank room with the awesome trans red windows in the back, the Sith Shrine, the lava river flowing out the front, Vader's meditation chamber - even how spaceous the hanger feels despite only being able to fit the micro TIE Advanced.

Shame the butler got left out but other than that this set is definitely a home run! Definitely a Day One purchase!

13 minutes ago, Markalus said:

Brikky, Amazon.au became a proper store late 2017 with free shipping on orders over $49 so hopefully it will become available there. But, being an exclusive I doubt we will see any discounts any time soon so a better option would be S@H. At least there is VIP points and currently Han mud trooper poly. As you pointed out, things have improved significantly for us Aussies on S@H recently! I love the castle; it has everything I could ask for. Maybe updated royal guards would have increased the ‘value’ for collectors but I can’t see how they could improve the previous design. 

I think there's still room for improvement on the Guards. Getting rid of the cape and using the skirt piece like the Praetorian Guards do would better replicate the Royal Guard's long flowing robes and slender frames from the films.

I think it's a really nice looking set. If I have enough budget I'd definitely like to get it. If only to repurpose it for a MOC. 

That said, an extra minifigure would be nice, preferably Krennic. 

And I definitely hope it'll be available in Australia. I did hear something about it having limited exclusivity to Amazon, so my interpretation was that for the next three months or so it'll only be available at Amazon, but it'll be rolled out to general retailers along with the 2019 sets come next year. I hope I'm right. I definitely wouldn't get this without a solid retailer discount. 

48 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Can’t be the only one wondering why they used LBG instead of DBG for the exterior

I think that might just be the lighting in that one pic (that has some awful white balance, among other issues). In the official pics it looks to be dark bluish grey.