MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

The only thing I would change is to replace IG-88 with another stormtrooper or something. He doesn’t really belong and more troopers are always welcome. But even that isn’t a big deal at all

Earlier this year I had decided that I was finished with this theme, but here I am again, drawn into the madness that is Lego Star Wars.

I love the Slave 1 design. I have hated pretty much all of the previous versions, I always felt they were too big and not very swooshable, but this new one seems perfectly scaled for my wants.

That new Leia variation is pretty cool as well. Han's pants are great. I actually like most of the set.

My only real complaint is they still haven't dual molded C3PO's leg...

If you're disappointed by this then what exacting were you expecting?

Also I think that we can be fairly certain that this takes up a UCS slot (so just an  sw expensive set slot really), the rename is just to satisfy nitpicking afols. 

Just now, Agent Kallus said:

Also I think that we can be fairly certain that this takes up a UCS slot (so just an  sw expensive set slot really), the rename is just to satisfy nitpicking afols. 

Agreed. They aren't going to release 3 sets priced at $200+ in 1 year.

16 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Exactly.

There isn't any other way to make a Cloud City playset. It's not like a Death Star, a sphere with a lot of rooms inside.

Quick question: Why does Lego list "Lobot's cybernetic band" as an accessory? Are we talking about the printing around the back of his head? Or is there something else that I'm missing in the photos?

24 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

There's no Willrow Hood “Ice Cream Maker Guy” minifigure? :sadnew:

I wonder what the next playset will be. I don't think they'll do 1 per year since they would run out of ideas pretty fast. Only thing I can really think of would be Geonosis arena/droid factory. Maybe Coruscant. 

1 hour ago, Joel1234 said:

Will this type of set mean the retirement of the Death Star playset? 

dont think so, DS is something else and I believe that it will stay on sale for years

I think no matter what TLG created there would be complaints.  If this was perfect in every way then the complaint would be about stickers.  If it was €100 cheaper, a brilliant build but fewer MFs and no exclusives = complaints.  If they went twice as big UCS MF style and it was as amazing as that (despite the MF complaints and sticker complaints) folk would complaint about the price, exclusivity etc..

I don't mind a mix of Play and Display for these big expensive sets. Some are more display and others play. I guess those that hate the Death Star (Version 2) will not like this as its the same play idea.  Only better in my opinion. The minifigures are apt for each scene and brilliantly detailed.  The scenes are all quality but of course you could MOD to improve again to your own spec.  4 sectors of details scenes plus a Cloud Car and Slave 1.  That Slave 1 is a little baby brother of the UCS and like the new X wing and Tie Fighter playsets, indicative of the lessons that Master Builders have learned from the more successful UCS. 

I was excited to see this.  I have no old Cloud City sets (apart from UCS Slave 1) and this is a marvelous addition.  20 MFs! (Inc the droids) and 2 vehicles. I thought the Price Point at 350 and 0.12ppp was not bad in context with SW sets pricing in general this year (which are on average more like 0.14ppp) but €400 in Ireland is the stinker for me.  I'd be a day 1 on €350 but at €400 I'm now in a dilemma with the Hogwarts Castle.   I'll still 100% get this and it won't sit on a shelf gathering dust.

Actually the one other thing I would change other than IG-88 is Leia. I love the new CC variant but a new hair piece would have been very nice. But again, not a big deal. It just would have been the icing on the very long awaited and delicious looking cake

Ignore this. Reposted on CC thread.

Edited by Thego

Thank you all (well, almost all) for listening to the instructions! CC is a 2018 set and can be discussed here. But for now post all your initial thoughts/hates/loves/opinions in the CC thread until the first wave of hype dies down.

I was hoping it would look a little more full and round, but it will still be a day one purchase for me.

I especially love that mini Slave 1

Image result for lego cloud city

Edited by Mountain Drew

I'd say it looks okay but the tip laser cannons cant move and the stud shooters just aren't integrated that well

Damn, the new CC just looks okay I guess

I gotta say, the falcon is an upgrade from the previous version and I love the figs. 

Totally different question, but has anyone heard or seen any information about when/where the muddy solo and the Kessel operative polybags will be made available? I feel like it’s been months since they were discussed and I’ve yet to see them for sale or as a promo.

Bit late to this latest party, but add me to the very disappointed list.

It is clear that locations in Star Wars are seen by Lego as play rather than display, even at incredibly expensive prices.

Be it the Death Star, Insult on Hoth or Betrayal of Cloud City.

Thankfully with UCS, the vehicles continue to be aimed at display, but for some reason Lego doesn't think we want display sets of locations.

With Harry Potter we do see a display set of the Castle (at microfig size).....my chances of Vader's castle ever becoming a reality are looking more and more remote.

Been waiting for this new CC set for years, but now that it's finally here I can't help but see it as a big let down. The whole set just seems bland with nothing exciting really going on. I feel that because TLG has been pestered for so long to release a new cloud city set, they just tried to throw everything they could, yet still managed to show pretty much nothing.

I guess the mini slave is ok, (but since I have the UCS Slave, I don't see the mini version as such a big draw as others might), and then we have another carbon freeze scene, when the previous one was released not so long ago.

I won't even talk about the $$$...