MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

2 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

It looks interesting. The figures are amazing but the layout is strange and it doesn’t look like a $350 set to me. Also, the box art is not good at all. It’s weird how this is labeled as a “Master Builder” set and not UCS. Maybe it’s a new designation for large playsets like this, the Death Star, and Assault on Hoth? 

Could make sense so they get rit of the eternal discussion what is a item for display and what is one for play

At first I saw the news and I'm like: "WOW, THE CC SET WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR???!!! aND JUST IN TIME FOR MY B-DAY???" but then I saw the pictures and the piece count/price...:cry_sad:

This is almost as bad as Insult on Hoth to me...

This looks amazing! I was only expecting to see the main rooms but they've captured every nook and cranny from the films! The mini cityscape at the top is a nice touch and I'm glad there's a fully circular carbon chamber this time. The mini Slave I looks better than I was expecting and while the Cloud Car would've have been better in orange, I'm glad we finally have a new one after all these years. The cockpit does look very cramped though.

The minifigures are fantastic too! Luke looks awesome and I love the scene specific face print he has. The dual molded legs on Han are unexpected but definitely welcome. Bespin Gown Leia is absolutely stunning with a fantastic use of the new skirt element. Lando looks great and the pattern print on the inside of his cape are a nice little detail.

I have very little complaints about this set. The lack of new molds is a tad disappointing. The Carbonite mold could've used an update. Its also a shame to see Hoth Leia reused instead of a proper Bespin Escape version.

I like it! I certainly think it could use a few more minifigures and such, but it’s good.

Amazing that as long as LEGO Star Wars has been around, there have been so few Bespin-related sets, with half or so of them all being the Slave I. This goes a long way to filling in gaps.

5 minutes ago, wesker said:

This looks amazing! I was only expecting to see the main rooms but they've captured every nook and cranny from the films! The mini cityscape at the top is a nice touch and I'm glad there's a fully circular carbon chamber this time. The mini Slave I looks better than I was expecting and while the Cloud Car would've have been better in orange, I'm glad we finally have a new one after all these years. The cockpit does look very cramped though.

The minifigures are fantastic too! Luke looks awesome and I love the scene specific face print he has. The dual molded legs on Han are unexpected but definitely welcome. Bespin Gown Leia is absolutely stunning with a fantastic use of the new skirt element. Lando looks great and the pattern print on the inside of his cape are a nice little detail.

I have very little complaints about this set. The lack of new molds is a tad disappointing. The Carbonite mold could've used an update. Its also a shame to see Hoth Leia reused instead of a proper Bespin Escape version.

No need for me to write a long comment: I entirely agree with everything you said.

I wonder how people are going to display this set. 56cm x 58cm is huge, but at 16cm tall it's very flat. IMO, this is a weird set to display because I can imagine it sticking out of shelves or being too high up for people to properly look at.

Could be good for a coffee table, just like 75192...

Wow I was not expecting to see this officially revealed out of nowhere. What a nice surprise to see something revealed as intended for a change.

Too bad the set itself suck, but I dont like the death star either, so there was no way this set was ever going to appeal to me. The minifigs look great, which i'd love if I gave even the slightest crap about minifigs. For some reason the Slave I is funny to me, not sure why, its actually pretty decent considering the context, but I laughed when I saw it. And speaking of slave I and minifigs, I wonder what that leaked boba from ages ago was about, now that we know its not this... The box art reminds me of those fan-made fakes that infest google images, so err... good job Lego's graphic design team... Not your best work.

Lando's cape looks fantastic.

Probably the best Han Solo also with all the dual moulding and side printings.

Leia's skirt looks awesome.

The minifigures make this set... can't say the same for the build though. It could have been better.

I actually like it, it reminds me of the one of the old Kenner Death Star playsets.

Slave I looks a little odd from some angles, but I think it'll grow on me. Finally we have a proper circular carbonite freezing chamber, it's great they managed to include all the little details like the ugnaught room. I think with a little bit of modding you could create a decent shell from the exterior.

That's about how I expected it to look. overall it looks really good and they packed a lot of rooms into such a small space. However many of the interior space just doesn't look like what I expect from modern LEGO sets many of the rooms look like something designed from a decade ago. Definitely not as much detail as I would expect nor is there enough smooth, curved areas for such an iconic sleek location. The minifig selection is great although I am disappointed Lobot didn't get a new mold for his head and that they didn't remold Han frozen in Carbonite, but I absolutely love that midi-scale Slave 1. I like the new branding as this isn't truly a UCS in the same way that the Death Star and Hoth sets weren't UCS. Overall it could've been much better but it's nowhere near Hoth levels of disappointment. I'll be skipping it in favor of finally getting the UCS Slave 1 before it's gone.

Edited by ToaDraco

I love the Slave 1 build... the set overall is pretty cool but a €400 price in Ireland compared to £300 in the UK (€334) is a joke! 

I love the Lando and the slave one is at just the right size (IMO) the rest of the set looks alright except the cloud car which I don't care for, the price ain't great but that's kinda what expect from star wars these days. Glad that its the interior not the exterior. 

Edited by Agent Kallus

14 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

I wonder how people are going to display this set. 56cm x 58cm is huge, but at 16cm tall it's very flat. IMO, this is a weird set to display because I can imagine it sticking out of shelves or being too high up for people to properly look at.

Could be good for a coffee table, just like 75192...

It's not meant for display. It's a playset.

Definitely not as interested in the set as I am the figures.

The cloud car and Slave 1 are adorable and perfectly rendered at this scale. 

I'm happy those who have been waiting so many years finally have a cloud city set to collect.

Not entirely understanding the hate on it, I mean to each their own, I myself don't plan on buying it, but it's an improvement over the old set and it's a CLOUD CITY set.

Edited by Forresto

7 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

It's not meant for display. It's a playset.

And there will still be a ton of people who will buy this set to check out the play features and then put on display, like the Ewok Village, Assault on Hoth and Death Star, which didn't have a footprint as large as Betrayal on CC.

Many people who like it have captured my opinions already, but I think this set is marvelous! It’s hard to capture the overall diversity and breadth of Cloud City without making it a couple thousand dollars, so this is perfect. They captured all the important scenes and put it in an enjoybal playset.

I think the figures are splendid (especially Han), and the small Slave 1 is unexpectedly stupendous. I think this set is a success, and fulfills what many fans have been asking for for years.  

I like it honestly. The minifigures are great and the rooms all look like they represent the scenes from the film well. This will definitely be a part VIP Point buy but I'm still excited to get it and play around with it, it looks great for animating

1 hour ago, Alegrispa said:

the exclusive minifigures are a slap in the face.

Why wouldn’t they put exclusive minifigs in a UCS set? People would be losing their minds if there weren’t any exclusives here.