MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

Surprisingly impressed with the Hoth Medical Chamber.  It's bigger than it looks, and the detailing (without using ANY stickers) is very good.  The minifigures are nice updates, though FX-7 needs more arms.

These small-ish dioramas seem to be a bit of trend lately, hope they keep it up.

From best to worst (IMO):

Hoth Medical Chamber 75203

350?cb=20180727051949

Yoda's Hut 75208

350?cb=20180314023055

Carbon Freezing Chamber 75137

image.jpeg.74593666ecbb9af3133d5b0f693f75bd.jpeg

Hoth Attack 75138

image.jpeg.0f750a58be018f490d0c6eea320186c1.jpeg

Oh! the Hoth Medical Chamber is €39,99 in Germany and even worse in other EU countries... 

4 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

It seems cloud city will be a vip early access on September 13th through the 30th

I hope we don't have the same problem as last year with the Falcon.... It's oddly the same day. I bet we get a reveal on Aug 14 or around there if MF was precedent. 

4 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

It seems cloud city will be a vip early access on September 13th through the 30th

Pictures any day now!

12 hours ago, jedge said:

These small-ish dioramas seem to be a bit of trend lately, hope they keep it up.

Agreed! I only have Yoda's Hut so far, but it's such a cool set and I'm really looking forward to the Hoth Medical Chamber, it looks so amazing!

Regards,
Mitch

7 hours ago, jedge said:

If CC is real, and it turns out to be micro-fig size... just shoot me now.

That sucks, even the Harry Potter one sucks in my opinion. 

12 hours ago, jedge said:

If CC is real, and it turns out to be micro-fig size... just shoot me now.

As much as I want a UCS cloud city I have so idea what format it's gonna take; it's either gonna be awesome or awefull IMO. 

17 hours ago, RODDY said:

I hope we don't have the same problem as last year with the Falcon.

I think, they´ve learnt from their faults. CC will most likely be reduced to 1 set per customer like Hogwarts.

On 8/2/2018 at 8:23 AM, RODDY said:

I hope we don't have the same problem as last year with the Falcon.... It's oddly the same day. I bet we get a reveal on Aug 14 or around there if MF was precedent. 

The MF is so iconic and the holy grail of most SW LEGO collectors. I think the demand was also driven by the exhorbitant secondary market prices of the original. TLG also seemed to grossly underestimate demand...$800 was really new waters for them. Short answer is no, I doubt they will have the same ‘problem’ as last year.  

Edited by Markalus

On 8/1/2018 at 10:43 PM, dvogon said:

Oh! the Hoth Medical Chamber is €39,99 in Germany and even worse in other EU countries... 

It’s €49,99 in the Netherlands. That’s double the price it is in USA.

Luckily I’m regularly in Germany :)

Edited by Jawolliebollie

Moderators - please delete if not appropriate...

Argos have their regular 3 for 2 deal starting today in the UK and much to my surprise it includes the new sets after only a couple of days of release. Big savings to be made if you're clever about your purchases!

4 hours ago, Richpepperell said:

Argos have their regular 3 for 2 deal starting today in the UK and much to my surprise it includes the new sets after only a couple of days of release. Big savings to be made if you're clever about your purchases!

On that note, Big W in Australia has 20% toys off until the 15th I think. Grabbed the new AT Hauler, haven’t built it yet though. Would’ve grabbed they conveyex and x wing but they didn’t have them

7 hours ago, Richpepperell said:

Just picked up the X-Wing and a couple of AT-Haulers. Will sell the Haulers which should mean I end up paying only about £20-£40 for the X-Wing after fees... Which is all I wanted anyway. :-)

I actually hope cloud city comes in micro figure scale with a batch of minifigures.

Microscale Hogwarts is inspired and looks like something i'd want to display for visitors to look at.

The playset Death Star diorama style? Not so much. Epic as a whole but each individual diorama within to me is low quality. Cloud City as a minifig playset would be cool for sure, but would suffer from my issues with the Death Star.

I won't complain once we find out because I doubt i'd buy it ether way and again the playset Death Star is still incredibly awesome. I'd just be more inclined to buy a nicer looking model.

Edited by Forresto

I think Cloud City as a microscale model would be... utterly boring! It is just not interesting at that scale. The only thing that makes sense (for me at least) is an open playset with a good selection of figures. It's already been said that it's somewhat like the Death Star with bottom chopped of. I'm actually hopeful it will be pretty decent (as playsets go).

250?cb=20071217063127

well I don't know from where appeared the rumors about the CC micro scale, but if it will be true, it will be the same disaster like Assault on the Hoth UCS

1 hour ago, DEAD1974 said:

well I don't know from where appeared the rumors about the CC micro scale, but if it will be true, it will be the same disaster like Assault on the Hoth UCS

Why? The entire point of UCS is large, good looking, displayable models.

Heck the Snowspeeder and Y-Wing are both incredibly boring to me but they still sell like hot cakes for some reason. 

Assault on Hoth failed because it was an overpriced playset, comprised of seperate builds rather then a single one, with most builds having been released before, then had the UCS label thrown onto it.

HOWEVER.

imagine if for the same price and piece count Assault on Hoth was made at microfigure scale.

You'd have twice as much and it would look better. You could have a mini AT-AT, mini AT-ST, a proper hanger full of snowspeeders, a proprr shield generator, a rebel transport, more trenches etc...

Edited by Forresto

25 minutes ago, Forresto said:

imagine if for the same price and piece count Assault on Hoth was made at microfigure scale.

You'd have twice as much and it would look better. You could have a mini AT-AT, mini AT-ST, a proper hanger full of snowspeeders, a proprr shield generator, a rebel transport, more trenches etc...

This is why I think occasional microscale sets would be a good idea. One every couple of years.

2 hours ago, Forresto said:

I think a big part of the appeal of Lego for at least some of us is the minifigures themselves and minifigure scale sets. I, for one, would never buy a microfigure Cloud City. That scale just doesn't interest me. But if it is similar in scale and playability/features to Assault on Hoth then count me in on day one.

I think its fair to assume Cloud City will be considerably smaller than microfig scale, given that if it was to scale with microfigs it would probably still be the size of a large house.

43 minutes ago, Magmafrost said:

I think its fair to assume Cloud City will be considerably smaller than microfig scale, given that if it was to scale with microfigs it would probably still be the size of a large house.

Cloud City is supposed to be 16.2 km across, according to Wookieepedia. Minifig scale is about 1/48, and nanofigs are about 1/4 of that size, so say the scale would be 1/192. That means the disc would be 85 meters across. That isn't a house, or even a mansion; you would have to build this thing in a decently-sized airplane hangar. And that's ignoring the vane on the bottom, which would make the structure as a whole at least as tall as it is wide. I remain hopeful of someday seeing a truly minifig-scale Imperial Star Destroyer, which would (barely) fit in a basketball court.

That said, what I think people here mean is 'system-scale', which is what almost all LEGO sets are--not necessarily true minifig scale (almost all vehicle sets are undersized, many of them significantly), but designed for minifigures to interact with them. For example, a truly minifig-scale Turbo Tank would be a bit more than a meter long, while the recent set is about a sixth of that, but it has hatches, chairs, controls, etc that are designed for minifigs. The UCS Millennium Falcons are rare examples of large sets that are true minifigure scale, while the Hogwarts Castle is something more like nano-System scale, in that it isn't necessarily to scale with the nanofigures (it could be? I don't know how big the 'actual' castle is, but it looks small), but it's designed for the nanofigures to interact with it. The question is whether Cloud City will be more like that or more like the system-scale UCS Death Stars (the UCS DSII display model is about 1/400,000, if anyone's curious).