MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

Just now, firefox said:

That is true. But no one can deny the massive price increases in the official prices that lego states in the last couple of years. There is alwasy inflation, but my salary, which is nor maly ajusted to inflation does not grow by the numbers lego does it's prices.

As a result alter 1 or 2 months it's easy to find most sets at -20% of -30%

I allready bought the still new han solo movie sets at -40% in a sale.

insert morgan freeman meme saying 'he's right you know' ...

after about 3 months walmart starts their price drops too ... 

if everyone one is patient they can find sales ... lego counts on all the people saying, 'day one buy for me' 'must buy immediately' and knows they can 'get away' with outrageous pricing ... 

12 minutes ago, Tidy said:

i choose number 4, eurozone is getting screwed on the x-wing ...

in euro land 100,00 is the same as 100.00 ... note that a bulk of the world uses the comma as we use the period [decimal] ... and 100 euro is roughly 115 usd ... the x-wing is indeed being launched at a price of 100 euro in most eurozone countries ...

now one thing most people forget when comparing countries is taxes ... europe has its taxes baked into the base price ... ie wysiwyg - what you see is what you get ... meaning that 20% VAT is part of the 100 euro price ... in america, we pay sales tax [ranges in % from 0 [yay delaware] to over 10 in louisiana] and that is calculated above the price you see ... 

I was joking about the inflation one. Thanks. I didnt know about them using  ','  instead of '.'

Yeah, in australia we already have GST (Goods and services tax. Or your Sales Tax) already added on. So if this X-wing was to cost $120AUD. something like $12 if GST (I think)

I am saying it will probably cost $120 because your USD is work more than our AUD

15 minutes ago, Tidy said:

i choose number 4, eurozone is getting screwed on the x-wing ...

in euro land 100,00 is the same as 100.00 ... note that a bulk of the world uses the comma as we use the period [decimal] ... and 100 euro is roughly 115 usd ... the x-wing is indeed being launched at a price of 100 euro in most eurozone countries ...

now one thing most people forget when comparing countries is taxes ... europe has its taxes baked into the base price ... ie wysiwyg - what you see is what you get ... meaning that 20% VAT is part of the 100 euro price ... in america, we pay sales tax [ranges in % from 0 [yay delaware] to over 10 in louisiana] and that is calculated above the price you see ... 

I was joking about the inflation one. Thanks. I didnt know about them using  ','  instead of '.'

Yeah, in australia we already have GST (Goods and services tax. Or your Sales Tax) already added on. So if this X-wing was to cost $120AUD. something like $12 if GST (I think)

I am saying it will probably cost $120 because your USD is work more than our AUD

5 hours ago, bountybossk said:

Ok wow... I've just seen the German catalogue for 2018 2HY. The new X-Wing is €100,00?! I normally don't complain about prices, but this is outrageous (if true). This thing is supossed to be $80,00 in the US. How the hell is the same set $115,00 in Germany... X-wing, 4 figs, 731 pieces: €100,00. Hogwarts Great Hall, 10 figs, 878 pieces: €100,00.

Some Star Wars sets are way too overpriced in Germany at the time.

HP-Sets do have much better prices.

The Great Hall and X-Wing comparison isn´t the only example.

See which sets also cost the same price in Germany (39,99€):

75203_Prod.jpg?resize=625,362&ssl=1(255 pieces)

lego-harry-potter-quidditch-match-75956-(500 pieces)

Edited by Praetorian_Guard

here are some of the euro prices [still looking for legit GBP]

75203 - Hoth Medical Chamber - € 39.99 
75213 - Advent Calendar - € 29.99 
75214 - Anakin's Jedi Starfighter - € 29.99 
75215 - Cloud Rider Swoop Bikes - € 29.99 
75216 - Snoke's Throne Room - € 69.99 
75217 - Imperial Conveyex Transport - € 89.99 
75218 - X-Wing Starfighter - € 99.99 
75219 - Imperial AT-Hauler - € 99.99 
75220 - Sandcrawler - € 129.99

do euro prices generally change depending on which country?

I dont know how it is in Europe, but in the U.S. if you wait just a few days after the release date, you can find it cheaper on eBay. I waited about a week after the kessel run millennium falcon was released and found it for $150

34 minutes ago, Range Trooper said:

I dont know how it is in Europe, but in the U.S. if you wait just a few days after the release date, you can find it cheaper on eBay. I waited about a week after the kessel run millennium falcon was released and found it for $150

we do see better sales in the US, and then when you factor in the walmart stupid discounts, i have nothing ever to complain about.  i got tie strikers for $17 and krennic shuttles for $35 ... 

20 minutes ago, Tidy said:

we do see better sales in the US, and then when you factor in the walmart stupid discounts, i have nothing ever to complain about.  i got tie strikers for $17 and krennic shuttles for $35 ... 

This just hurts... cheapest Tie striker in here was never under 50$, or atleast I didnt find any 

5 hours ago, Tidy said:

we do see better sales in the US, and then when you factor in the walmart stupid discounts, i have nothing ever to complain about.  i got tie strikers for $17 and krennic shuttles for $35

I would have nothing ever to complain neither :tongue:.

I usually get discounts in the range of 10% to 50%, with an average of 1/3, albeit I get better discounts on bigger sets. Exceptionally something more, like Kylo Ren's shuttle for around €45, Krennic's one for €40 and TFA MF for €60, but nothing compared to a Tie Striker for $17!! I was able to get two of them "just" for about €45 each.

But the prices of some sets are just getting insane, the Defense of Crait set, the upcoming Snoke's Throne Room or the Imperial Covenyex Transport are some of them. Other sets just hit the spot, specially some of the €29,99 or less ones, like the Ahch-To set, Yoda's Hut, the Cloud Riders bikes or the new Anakin Jedi Starfighter. 

The X-Wing is also €10 more, which isn't good, because the recent X-Wings were already expensive, even if I would select it before the AT-Hauler, which is of course too expensive as well.

And the price comparison between the UCS Slave 1 and the new Kessel Run MF has no words... :sceptic:

I think that the fact that we knew the Conveyex only had 2 carriages in advance definitely softened the blow for us and I think it has turned out is a fairly good set.

19 hours ago, StanleyRos said:

So X-wing is 79 $ in US and 99 € in EU ... That just hurts :ugh:

And maybe even more in some european countries...  crazy :\

3 hours ago, segatasan said:

And maybe even more in some european countries...  crazy :\

Belgium for example :sceptic:

it appears that various EU countries also slap additional tariffs [in addition to the VAT] on danish goods that others [us included for now] do not.  this raises the RRP, so it doesn't appear that this is something that is arbitrarily done by TLG.

On 6/21/2018 at 8:46 AM, Praetorian_Guard said:

Some Star Wars sets are way too overpriced in Germany at the time.

HP-Sets do have much better prices.

The Great Hall and X-Wing comparison isn´t the only example.

See which sets also cost the same price in Germany (39,99€):

(255 pieces)

(500 pieces)

luke in a diaper is worth 40 euro alone ... and i wouldn't pay more than 5 euro for any harry potter set ... O_O ...yeah, i said it ...

The discord legoleaks was taken down.  Will the next wave of sets be the 2019 winter wave?  I’m still hunting for information on the rumored V-19 from this year...

11 minutes ago, Skyhammer said:

The discord legoleaks was taken down.  Will the next wave of sets be the 2019 winter wave?  I’m still hunting for information on the rumored V-19 from this year...

V-19 may be coming in 2019, there is 0% proof that it's coming in 2018.

5 hours ago, Tidy said:

it appears that various EU countries also slap additional tariffs [in addition to the VAT] on danish goods

Not sure that this is right. The whole point of the EU is a common market place.

Unless Denmark leaves the EU, trade should be harmonised. #dexit anyone?

1 minute ago, LEGOscum said:

Not sure that this is right. The whole point of the EU is a common market place.

Unless Denmark leaves the EU, trade should be harmonised. #dexit anyone?

that's what i thought too, but the more i dig into things, there seem to be exceptions ... and didn't denmark keep their currency, much like the uk?

7 hours ago, Tidy said:

it appears that various EU countries also slap additional tariffs [in addition to the VAT] on danish goods that others [us included for now] do not.  this raises the RRP, so it doesn't appear that this is something that is arbitrarily done by TLG.

I live in Spain but I travel to Germany often. Both are Euro countries. Prices here and there have VAT applied only, nothing else. It's 21% in Spain and 19% in Germany. However, SW Lego prices have some pattern in Lego stores, not quite related to VAT, but somehow arbitrary or most probably related with targeted population in the country, I would say.

For instance, battle packs and €29,99 sets are all priced the same. But the next price step is €39,99 in Germany but €44,99 in Spain. And the next one: €49,99 is €55,99. The pattern follows: €59,99 is €64,99 or €66,99; €69,99 is €76,99 or €79,99 and €79,99 is €85,99 or €89,99. From €89,99 we get €10 more always though. That happens with €89,99; €99,99; €109,99; €119,99; €129,99; €139,99 and €149,99. But not with the KR MF at €169,99, which is €174,99. And UCS sets are always priced the same.

In hypermarkets like Alcampo, Carrefour and some others, prices are consistently about €20 or even €40 lower for the range above €79,99, because pricey sets don't sell well at Lego store prices. Smaller sets have either the same price or sometimes €5 to €10 less. This is during normal days without any discount. That may be related to the kind of population that go to those hypermarkets and never go to a Lego store (it must be the online one or the physical one in Madrid). However, this population slice is quite big in Spain and more representative of the average population. 

TRU prices start overpriced from €2 to €10 for small to medium sets. They have about the same prices at about €79,99. But it's easy to get 10% to 15% discounts on normal days without any store discount, so the same rules apply. The population slice is about the same but they earn a bit more on casual gifts with low to medium budgets.

So here we have for lower budget people or gifts the same prices, for medium budget/gifts bigger prices hence they expect to have more sales in Spain, even if the country is less rich *huh*. For bigger budget/gifts they still expect to have more sales hence the bigger prices, but those sets get more aggressive discounts regularly in almost all non-Lego specific stores, which means they don't sell that well. This is why I think they are usually quite overpriced, even without taking into account the quality of the set or the price/piece ratio. UCS sets are a niche market, so it doesn't apply the same rules.

Edited by dvogon
clarification

1 hour ago, dvogon said:

TRU prices start overpriced from €2 to €10 for small to medium sets.

that's one thing we definitely had in common.

and my lord that is convoluted. that would be like sets being different prices in different states. it's just so arbitrary. i was trying to find some sort of logic in it all. but it obviously doesn't exist. [i was really wanting to blame it on greedy governments.]

the euro prices i posted are the german ones, fyi.

1 hour ago, Tidy said:

the euro prices i posted are the german ones, fyi.

I tend to use DE region prices too as it is the largest Eurozone market for LEGO.

31 minutes ago, Range Trooper said:

Does anyone know of there will be a Fall wave of Star Wars sets this year?

SW Advent Calendar (Sept) and UCS Porg, D2C Confidential Set and BrickHeadz (Oct) are the only known ones IIRC.

9 hours ago, Skyhammer said:

Figures...

3 hours ago, LEGOscum said:

SW Advent Calendar (Sept) and UCS Porg, D2C Confidential Set and BrickHeadz (Oct) are the only known ones IIRC.

Is that the ''rumored' cloud city set?