MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

11 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Me too. :) I understand the frustration of starting from scratch, but I am more than happy to see a change in design that should mean Lego will no longer treat Rebel pilots as clones and give them individuality besides their specific helmet design. The only thing that bothers me about the new design is that there is no chin strap, but I will just have to 'pretend' that the pilots have only just put their helmet on and not clipped those on yet. It shall be no more bothersome than 'pretending' that I am actually investing in a different pilot every time purely because they have a different helmet.

My biggest problem with the new helmets is the lack of a chin strap on the heads. Maybe we could have had a double sided head - one side with and one side without the strap. It just looks like something's missing. 

4 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Me too. :) I understand the frustration of starting from scratch, but I am more than happy to see a change in design that should mean Lego will no longer treat Rebel pilots as clones and give them individuality besides their specific helmet design. The only thing that bothers me about the new design is that there is no chin strap, but I will just have to 'pretend' that the pilots have only just put their helmet on and not clipped those on yet. It shall be no more bothersome than 'pretending' that I am actually investing in a different pilot every time purely because they have a different helmet.

The reality is that we probably won't get more Rebel Pilots for a while anyway, as Lego have only recently released the Y-Wing and now the X-Wing. They will likely never convert all the previous helmet designs to the new mold.

Luke Skywalker, Dutch Vander, Theron Nett, Zev Senesca, Dorovio Bold, Wes Janson, Wedge Antilles, Wona Goban, Biggs Darklighter, Harb Binli, Jek Porkins, Barion Raner, Dack Ralter, John D., Dosmit Raeh.... it will take years to replace these :(

Edited by Renegade Clone
more info

Quite a few surprises over the past few days.

Kessel Mine Worker & Mudtrooper Han
Wasn't expecting to see two promotional minifigures released at once. I like the bright colours of the Mine Worker and its always nice to get a new variant of Han. Its a bit hard to tell if he comes in olive green or dark tan, but if its the latter then that hairpiece is going to be very useful for customizing a Rebel version of Kallus.

Hoth Medical Chamber
This is what I was expecting to see with Assault on Hoth. Not only an essential part of Echo Base with the relevant key characters that should have been included in the UCS set, but also the size and level of detail of the build. For a small set they've done a great job with the design and its great to finally see Leia in a cheap set. The last time I recall was the original Jabba's Palace back in 2003 but even then that wasn't as affordable as this. If I have only one criticism, I do wish these Hoth sets would incorporate some modular elements that would allow you to combine them but still this is a good stand alone release.

Advent Calender
I'll get the positives out the way - General Merrick looks awesome and nice to be able to fill in another missing character from the Rogue One lineup. A cheap Guavian is welcome too. The rest? Crap. I thought last year's calender was pretty lazy compared to the previous ones but its like they didn't even try this time. No Christmas themed minifigure. Two minifigures that have already been recently included in battlepacks. The same Battle Droid we've been getting for 19 years. A useless Freemaker and a character who's arguably considered to be the worst among the fanbase since Jar Jar first appeared. There's really no incentive to purchase this one this year. :sceptic:

Anakin's Jedi Starfighter
I love how much sleeker this one looks compared to the original release. The cockpit still sits too high up for my liking, but unlike Obi-Wan's recent fighter this one at least fits in with the exagerated design from the TV show. I also like that they've improved the build of the sides of the cockpit so it flows more naturally with the rest of the ship. Although the costume seems a bit dark compared to the show, Anakin's more realistic redesign is a huge improvement over the original Clone Wars figure.

Snoke's Throne Room
Count me in among those that likes this set. Its exactly what I was expecting it to be - Death Star Final Dual with a Last Jedi makeover. Its a nice reasonably sized built and the Praetorians are definitely the highlights. Looking forward to picking this one up.

X-Wing Starfighter
Couldn't be any more happier with how this one turned out. Everything from the sleekness, the new cockpit window, correct astromech position, the thicker wings, the way the engines have actually been built into the wings and just how smooth the set looks just seems perfect to me. Still loving those new dual molded helmets.

Sandcrawler
Not as good as the UCS version, but at least those that missed out have another chance to get one at an affordable price. I'm happy with the previous release but look forward to picking up those new droids. Bit strange they're still using the light tan hair on Luke. Maybe they're keeping the dark tan version to distinguish the ESB Luke's from the ANH ones? Still think the darker hairpiece looks more accurate.

Imperial Landing Craft
This came completely out of nowhere. The set looks great and will fit in nicely with the Shuttle Tydirium that came out a few years ago, although the sides parts do look a bit strange with the way they're angled down. Not completely thrilled with the minifigure lineup. While its nice to have all three Sandtrooper variants available, I'm a bit reluctant to collect a huge number of them since the Mimban Stormtrooper sported belt printing instead of plain black hips. Like the Rebel pilot helmets its only a matter of time before this change starts to reflect the rest of the Stormtroopers.

Regarding the Rebel pilots - I'm sure we'll see Lego get plenty of mileage out of that new helmet mold in the coming years. The Microfighters have been a great way of pushing out more unique Rebel/Resistance characters. I'm not too worried when it comes to replacing them.

Edited by wesker

On 5/18/2018 at 3:53 AM, getbusybrickin said:

Why do fans of LEGO seem to hate LEGO so much? I recognize that some sets are overpriced, but the quality of the sets is superb and they seem to have fixed and improved upon designs that were complained about in the past. I, for one, commend LEGO for this wave. 

I guess they don't hate LEGO, they are just unhappy from prices cause you know... they still don't have the tree where the money grows + getting less for more hm.... But don't take me wrong, its not complaining, since I really don't care about the price at all, all that is important for me, if the set looks interesting for me or not. Here is a nice compare imao

so you can choose yourself... personally I vote for $80

5 hours ago, Renegade Clone said:

The reality is that we probably won't get more Rebel Pilots for a while anyway, as Lego have only recently released the Y-Wing and now the X-Wing. They will likely never convert all the previous helmet designs to the new mold.

Luke Skywalker, Dutch Vander, Theron Nett, Zev Senesca, Dorovio Bold, Wes Janson, Wedge Antilles, Wona Goban, Biggs Darklighter, Harb Binli, Jek Porkins, Barion Raner, Dack Ralter, John D., Dosmit Raeh.... it will take years to replace these :(

That is true, but a new snowspeeder will likely pop up some time I'm sure and there is always a chance a new microfighter could have a new helmet pilot.

49 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

That is true, but a new snowspeeder will likely pop up some time I'm sure and there is always a chance a new microfighter could have a new helmet pilot.

At least Antoc Merrick's Helmet in the Advent Calendar is confirmed to be a classic design!

Sorry but up until now almost everyone was moaning about not having dual molded rebel helmets with visors, and now that we finally get them people are moaning yet again... what the eff?

10 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Sorry but up until now almost everyone was moaning about not having dual molded rebel helmets with visors, and now that we finally get them people are moaning yet again... what the eff?

I like the new helmet. It is more accurate IMO. 

But (as many have pointed out) : why are there no chin-straps on teh face-prints? 

49 minutes ago, Renegade Clone said:

At least Antoc Merrick's Helmet in the Advent Calendar is confirmed to be a classic design!

I had very low expectations on the Advent Calendar, and although General Merrick, the Guavian, the Death trooper and the bounty hunter are good, there are few figures in total and the rest are forgettable ones. :sceptic:

I took a break from Lego Star Wars earlier this year. But I'm so back after all these new sets. Take my money Lego! I like every single one...

I got stick on a FB group for this but I think of all the sets people can complain about the Advent Calendar isn't one of them. We have around 60 SW sets a year? Maybe more? And one set is designed for small children to open in the build up to Santa visiting them on Christmas Eve. It's made up of builds of 10 parts or less that are so simple the instructions are a single image. These builds are supplemented by a few minifigures... one of which normally has a Christmassy theme which in this case is snowman again... and there are normally a couple of army builder types. But really... The Advent Calendar really isn't something that should disappoint AFOLs. Just enjoy the Merrick figure and let kids enjoy their little builds.

29 minutes ago, Robianco said:

I got stick on a FB group for this but I think of all the sets people can complain about the Advent Calendar isn't one of them. We have around 60 SW sets a year? Maybe more? And one set is designed for small children to open in the build up to Santa visiting them on Christmas Eve. It's made up of builds of 10 parts or less that are so simple the instructions are a single image. These builds are supplemented by a few minifigures... one of which normally has a Christmassy theme which in this case is snowman again... and there are normally a couple of army builder types. But really... The Advent Calendar really isn't something that should disappoint AFOLs. Just enjoy the Merrick figure and let kids enjoy their little builds.

Totally agree :)

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

Personally, I have never had a problem with the classic helmets and never called for a dual-molded helmet. And it's slightly annoying when you have collected all the unique helmets. If they simply produce replacements, I have no issue. But if, for example, they suddenly produce Red Leader in the new style then it won't match the previous helmets.

I was curious about the Imperial Hauler and I wanted for my Imperial troops. I like the original look and I thoght maybe I could turn it some kind of transport for my imperial squad. I'm expected a bit bigger thing, but I like that it isn't a huge build. I hope it could fit 3 or 4 figs.

The hauler looks like the result of Kylo Ren's shuttle mating with a AT-DP walker. Here's hoping whatever variable wing geometery it has remained the same throughout film production or we'll have another 75104 winggate on our hands. Looks like the wings rotate 360 around. Is there a ribbon of some kind underneath or - not part of the ship? The brown space beneath the cockpit area looks tall enough to cram minifigs in. 

Really liking this wave overall. Sandcrawler and throne room look to be day 1 purchases for me. 

I [heart] Lego leak season. This week's gone into turbo mode with leaks. Here's hoping there's more on the way...

Does anyone recognize the white rounded pieces that make up the new X-Wing engines? I’m having trouble identifying them.

Edited by Junior Shark

8 minutes ago, darththeling said:

The hauler looks like the result of Kylo Ren's shuttle mating with a AT-DP walker. Here's hoping whatever variable wing geometery it has remained the same throughout film production or we'll have another 75104 winggate on our hands. Looks like the wings rotate 360 around. Is there a ribbon of some kind underneath or - not part of the ship? The brown space beneath the cockpit area looks tall enough to cram minifigs in. 

Really liking this wave overall. Sandcrawler and throne room look to be day 1 purchases for me. 

I [heart] Lego leak season. This week's gone into turbo mode with leaks. Here's hoping there's more on the way...

Probably as soon as the Solo movie is in public theathres

The minifigure on that white ship looks like the four-armed character Rio Durant - it’s hard to tell from the picture but it looks like it may be a classic torso with four arms.

That would just be incredible, and would create the possibility of a Nabrun Leids figure in the future - possibly my most desired figure :))

1 minute ago, ThousandMoon said:

The minifigure on that white ship looks like the four-armed character Rio Durant - it’s hard to tell from the picture but it looks like it may be a classic torso with four arms.

Yeah I’m trying to figure out too how they accomplished the four arms but either way I’m so happy he’s included! If L3 is also in this set, count me in!

Edited by Invincible_LEGOMAN

That Hauler thing seems to have a lot of Technic pieces in it, not a bad thing to me anyway. Are those white steering wheels, large, on the sides also seems to be 5x7 Technic frames, brown, underneath. Have we seen those before? 

Is that picture of the Imperial Hauler legit?  If so, it probably shouldn't be posted here (even though I'm glad it was, since I hadn't seen it :wink:).  I could be interested, depending on the price, and its prominence in Solo.  

1 hour ago, Junior Shark said:

Does anyone recognize the white rounded pieces that make up the new X-Wing engines? I’m having trouble identifying them.

I'm having trouble, too.  They seem to be semicircular, but whether they are attached to the wings by studs, or by Technic axles, I'm not sure.  Also, it looks like three per engine, unless those are just stickers to make them look divided.  The X-Wing looks amazing.  I've gotten over my Rebel pilot tantrum, and it's just a wonderful set.  Probably the most accurate LEGO X-Wing ever, and that includes UCS Red Five.  

This has been a very lucky (my wallet would like a word with me) year for me, in terms of set releases.  In the "Future Star Wars sets" thread, I listed a request for a remake of the OT X-Wing, the TIE Fighter, and a Hoth medical center.  They do listen, it seems!  Either that, or those sets are just perennial favorites guaranteed a re-release every seven years.  Of course, typically, I've already Bricklink'd Leia from the UCS Falcon, and I'm not sure I really need to upgrade my Luke-in-a-diaper, so we'll see.

The Sandcrawler is pretty disappointing to me; weak minifigures, lack of detail, and lack of interior furnishing pretty much removes that one from my wanted list until it goes on clearance.

The Imperial Landing Craft looks...unfortunate, especially for the price.  And I can't believe they had the nerve to put that Ben Kenobi minifigure in there.  Between his Ken doll hair and his non-dual-molded legs, he is, in my opinion, the worst-designed minifigure currently available in the Star Wars theme, and I already have two of him.  I imagine many will already have at least one, from the recent Landspeeder.  Also, may I ask why people wanted a re-release of this set?  I know some of you do, but I'm just genuinely curious, as it only appears fleetingly in the Special Edition.  Does it have a role in some Expanded Universe game, or is simply nostalgia from the 2007 set?  Or just a cool design?  Personally, I much prefer the Lambda shuttle, but that's just me.

The Advent Calendar is actually a highlight for me.  Blue Leader is almost worth $40 alone :blush:.  The Snowman, Cloud City, and others are cute enough.  And I'm obviously partial to the Rogue One mini-builds.  Might we get a Cargo Shuttle or AT-ACT next year?  Here's hoping!  Oh, and to people who refuse to buy the calendar just because it contains Rose, I can't help but think you're being a little petty.  As for Rowan Freemaker, I care nothing for the show, but all the parts will be useful, including using that torso to make a temporary custom Captain Antilles.

The Throne Room set looks nice, but I can't get too excited at that price--and again, I already Bricklink'd that Rey figure from the AT-M6.  I feel like I keep falling into the same trap [insert Admiral Ackbar reference here]  I don't dislike The Last Jedi at all (in fact, I like it a lot more than Return of the Jedi), but I just can't get too excited about sets that have yet to absorb into my Star Wars pop cultural consciousness.

Sorry for the essay, but I haven't posted a lot here lately.

Edited by RogueTwo

It's clear from the pictures on FBTB that the X-wing engines are built using this part.

24 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

I'm having trouble, too.  They seem to be semicircular, but whether they are attached to the wings by studs, or by Technic axles, I'm not sure.  Also, it looks like three per engine, unless those are just stickers to make them look divided.