MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

50 minutes ago, Robianco said:

Well he was with the pile of scrap with the Ugnaughts when Chewie recovered 3PO.

So you never know... Maybe it's to put add some decoration to a room on the UCS CC? Also... Is that a terminated Zuckuss there too?

I dont know that there's any reason to believe that that's IG-88, that's pretty standard appearance for an assassin droid. Cant say the same about Zuckuss though, thats.. that definitely seems deliberate.

2 minutes ago, Magmafrost said:

I dont know that there's any reason to believe that that's IG-88, that's pretty standard appearance for an assassin droid. Cant say the same about Zuckuss though, thats.. that definitely seems deliberate.

I think in the EU it was defined as IG-88B, who was the assassin droid on the Executor (Fett killed the two other physical IG-88 droid later on while IG-88A implanted himself in the Death Star II apparently). Subsequently though it's just a droid.

Anakin's JSF looks pretty good, at least the steep cockpit fits the Delta-7B design more than Obi-Wan's JSF from last year. Too bad both faces for Anakin have the headset on them, as this is the first realistic-styled CW figure that we have of him.

The X-wing looks fantastic. I like that they used the engine techniques from the UCS set (they looked too small on that set but they look perfect here). I also like that the rubber bands are now hidden. I wish they would just put the knob for the wing mechanism on the back again. I did not like it as much on the top of the Resistance X-wings but at least those sets had some stickers for greebling, the new X-wing has a large slot for the new mechanism without any details in it, which is the only downside of this set (besides the ugly new rebel helmets).

Sandcrawler looks a like the UCS one scaled down. It is kinda stubby but it looks fairly good, though it is really lacking in colors and texture. I like the new droids.

Snoke's Throne Room looks really good to me. I refuse to buy TLJ sets because I hated the movie but this was the only scene I liked and the set is executed well, so I might get it (the Praetorians are great). 

Speaking of refusing to buy TLJ sets, I just cannot put myself in the position of buying the Advent Calendar because Rose is in it. I really wanted Merrick (glad he has the old helmet, so he'll go well with the RO pilots) but I guess I can buy him seperately as the rest of the calendar is not that impressive.

The Hoth MedCenter came out of nowhere. I don't really see the appeal. I myself like it when they release playsets, and I welcome sets that don't revolve around conflict once in a while, but this choice seems so random. There is no conflict to attract children to this set and I don't even see this selling all that well among adults.

They have finally made a new Sentinel Shuttle, but it looks a little off to me. The sides are way too smooth and the middle, wings and cockpit are way too blocky and 'studdy' in comparison. Weird that they threw in a random R2 again.

Wookieepedia claims that the droid in CC is, in fact, IG-88, and makes no mention of other IG-88s in the new Canon continuity.

And IIRC Zuckuss's head was just taken from a monster prop shop so it's fairly likely they didn't give it much thought when setting up that scene in the Cloud City.

1 hour ago, Robianco said:

The RA-7 droid that was shown with the Sandcrawler at the Toy Fair looks to have an Imperial torso on it (mistakenly obviously as the promo images show a different torso for it). I can't place this one from an existing figure so I'm assuming it's an officer of some kind in the remaining two Solo sets?

There's 3 Solo sets that have not been released yet; some sources even say 4; The bike set with Enfys Nest, the train one, the big ferry ship in the train scene and a rumored muddy trench set with Mudtroopers ( those names I swear...) and a couple of protagonists. 

The officer torso shown is even dirty a bit so yeah, pretty much confirmed for a solo set. 

Edited by RetroInferno

My view of the sets...

X-Wing: best of the wave, and at last Lego has released a better redesign of any set. 

Throne Room: I like this one a lot... what’s the price for this? 

Landing Craft: Nice surprise but something seems off with it. Not bad though!  Figures are average aswell

Sandcrawler: Nice figures but just seems too squashed. Should have bumped the piece count up 

Starfighter: Uses the high cockpit design...looks alright I guess. 

Hoth set: Just average...not sure why this is a set though. 

For the sake of bringing balance to the force (and the discussion) I'd like to say that;

1. The Hoth set is really cool (!) Nice affordable version of an iconic scene. Always wanted 21B and Hoth Leia. 

2. My family and friends and I enjoyed The Last Jedi. Just saying.

Well, my excitement just jumped several notches. Love that the new X Wing has the droid fit in properly rather than side on like older sets. The throne room set itself looks a bit lack luster but it's all about dem minifigs for me! Hoth set looks great if a bit bare but Hoth is possibly my favourite SW environment/scene so I'm up for it! 

I can't really judge how good/accurate Anakin's fighter is as I'm not into prequel sets but it looks cool I guess? Would really need to hear general consensus before making any sort of judgement. Sandcrawler is definitely cool and I like seeing more affordable versions of some UCS sets. 

This is going to be an amazing summer! 

38 minutes ago, Retro said:

For the sake of bringing balance to the force (and the discussion) I'd like to say that;

1. The Hoth set is really cool (!) Nice affordable version of an iconic scene. Always wanted 21B and Hoth Leia. 

2. My family and friends and I enjoyed The Last Jedi. Just saying.

I agree with both points.

...and I also have a bit more controversial statement:
I own and really like 75098 - Assault on Hoth.

Regarding the new Fall sets - this is probably my least liked Star Wars Advent Calendar.
I may not get it and just BrickLink Merrick (sp?) and his helmet.

Otherwise, I really like the rest of them and it will be tough for me to decide what NOT to get.

Edited by lomis
Adding comment about new Fall sets

So turns out Snoke’s Throne room is a giant rip off - $70USD for like ~450 pieces or something.

7 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

So turns out Snoke’s Throne room is a giant rip off - $70USD for like ~450 pieces or something.

The two coolest sets in the wave - the throne room and the Imperial landing craft - are huge rip-offs. Lego knows.

Also, is this all we're getting this fall? What about that rumoured TLJ transport shuttle and the V-19?

Just now, Aethersprite said:

The two coolest sets in the wave - the throne room and the Imperial landing craft - are huge rip-offs. Lego knows.

Also, is this all we're getting this fall? What about that rumoured TLJ transport shuttle and the V-19?

I’ll be honest, it doesn’t really look that cool considering they left out the all important red walls, as well as the sunshade Praetorian helmet which was IMO the coolest helmet

Sandcrawler - very odd choice of figures. At least give us C-3PO and Aunt Beru

Imperial Landing Shuttle - Interesting, but there are so many other sets they could've done before this. And the fact that no figures are new...

Snoke's Throne Room - Small, nice, and to the point. Snoke figure needs so much updating, don't know why they didn't fix it..

Anakin's Starfighter - Would've been nice to add Ahsoka as well

X-Wing - Perfect, waited a long time for this revival

Hoth Medical Chamber - Interesting. Surprising that they waited this long to FINALLY put both Luke and Leia in a small set. A small set with the two of them was needed for a while, because all kids love Luke and Leia! Endor speeder bike chase with an ewok would've been a better set choice though.

Edited by GryffindorResistance

I kinda like the Hoth medical bay for the figs. Are the torso and legs for Leia identical to the UCS MF version?

39 minutes ago, Markalus said:

I kinda like the Hoth medical bay for the figs. Are the torso and legs for Leia identical to the UCS MF version?

I think so. Just the head is different.

6 hours ago, Robianco said:

New Lego RA-7 Droid - Wrong Torso

The RA-7 droid that was shown with the Sandcrawler at the Toy Fair looks to have an Imperial torso on it (mistakenly obviously as the promo images show a different torso for it). I can't place this one from an existing figure so I'm assuming it's an officer of some kind in the remaining two Solo sets?

Possibly. It's just like the droid head for the yellow astromic. Lego did the same thing with the new Batman minifig coming in that remote control batmobile. They had displayed an older variant of batman at this event, but the box art showed a new version. When they were asked on Facebook, they insisted that the torso they showed at this event was right (the old one). Lego's reps need to get their team on the same page when it comes to displaying figures. 

it appears that the sandcrawler droids are:

R5-A2, 3B6-RA-7, and CZ-1

12 minutes ago, Tidy said:

Where did you get that information?

I don't see a droid even remotely resembling CZ-1 unless they're counting that recolored medical droid.

7 hours ago, Robianco said:

Also... Is that a terminated Zuckuss there too?

IG-88 as Scrap on Cloud City

zuckuss actually helped the rebels and actively tried to free han between ESB and ROTJ

18 minutes ago, Tidy said:

That white 2-1B medical droid looks nothing like the CZ-1 droid in ANH. 

If it, in fact, is supposed to represent the CZ-1, thats very lazy of TLG. 

Well, it seems that this summer wave might just be the best SW wave in quite a while! And we haven’t even seen 3 Solo sets yet. Very excited to see what Lego has in store for us next wave!

Regarding the new helmet designs for rebel pilots. I do like the idea, no matter how much of an inconvenience it is to dedicated pilot collectors like myself, and hope that Lego pursue it, more for the sake of continuity and development than anything else. I will miss the old helmet mould given they were in production for as long as Star Wars has been a licensed line by Lego, but progress had to come eventually. A lot of the negative comments I have seen regarding this new thing relate to the fact that people feel the need to start again from scratch. I feel that a lot of folk are forgetting that Lego have two waves ahead of this one (Winter 2018/2019 and Spring 2019) whereby they are more or less free to create sets without the merchandise race for a new Star Wars film, something we haven't seen in a few years now. I fully anticipate a number of helmet designs will be released on this new mould in these two waves so as to further bring them to the surface and make them more common. We may not be fortunate enough to get some of the more unique designs we have had in the past on the long-standing helmet mould, but give it a while and the majority of people will have moved forward. 

Overall, I think the new rebel pilot helmets are a good move. 

1 hour ago, Renown said:

Overall, I think the new rebel pilot helmets are a good move. 

Me too. :) I understand the frustration of starting from scratch, but I am more than happy to see a change in design that should mean Lego will no longer treat Rebel pilots as clones and give them individuality besides their specific helmet design. The only thing that bothers me about the new design is that there is no chin strap, but I will just have to 'pretend' that the pilots have only just put their helmet on and not clipped those on yet. It shall be no more bothersome than 'pretending' that I am actually investing in a different pilot every time purely because they have a different helmet.

1 hour ago, benderisgreat said:

Well, it seems that this summer wave might just be the best SW wave in quite a while! And we haven’t even seen 3 Solo sets yet. Very excited to see what Lego has in store for us next wave!

I agree, a great wave.

But what about the rumored Tie Interceptor, and v19 torrent. Are they coming later in the year, or was it all just a brilliant plot from TLG to surprise us with 2 totally unexpected sets...?