MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

- The X-Wing looks phenomenal. Definitely the best system scale rendition of this classic craft. I typically only purchase UCS sets but I will purchase this. 

- Sandcrawer looks a bit horizontally squished proportion wise but still a solid set. Even if I didn’t have the UCS set it would still be a pass, though. 

- Anakin’s Jedi Starfighter, like pretty much all the Delta-7’s thus far just looks too tall and proportions are off. A cool set to offer but eh to me.

- Snoke’s Throne Room is for me is a disappointment. The prospect sounded great and I was anxious to see it, as I could see myself getting it. No thanks. The minifigs are great but, I don’t know it just looks odd and unfinished. I’ll buy cool little “scene” sets (Yoda’s hut, Ahch-To etc) for fun and was hoping this would work out. Bummer it doesn’t for me. Not to mention the price! I’m used to and fine with paying a premium but this is a $50 set max and even then I wouldn’t pay that. 

- Hoth Medical Chamber is so out of left field to me. I like it and hate it at the same time. If I had Assault on Hoth it would appeal more but no thanks. Solid execution of the scene, though. 

- Imperial Landing Craft actually made me say “what!?” out loud when I saw it. There wasn’t even a word of that coming out. Looks fine and cool minifigs but the price is killer for the piece count. 

TL;DR I think Lego did a fine job with selecting/designing most of these sets but regardless they didn’t stand much of a chance for me to be a buyer. That X-Wing though! <3

Edited by BuckeyeLegoFan

35 minutes ago, KevinMD said:

Wait, so no Santa for the calendar this year? Pretty crappy if they’re moving away from the unique variant, they’ve been some of my favorite SW figs.

The picture shows 24 builds which means they just haven’t revealed the exclusive Santa figure

Also, the leia has the same hair, torso, and legs from the UCS falcon but the face print from the UCS Death Star

27 minutes ago, Theemp1re said:

The picture shows 24 builds which means they just haven’t revealed the exclusive Santa figure

LEGO Advent Calendars only have 24 builds

I wonder why the sides of the landing craft are angled downwards. Its not easy to find good pictures of that ship, but I cant see any suggestion that its shaped like that. Also that cockpit is... something else. It kinda looks like a sheep head, actually. Like a cartoon sheep. The studs look bad, is what Im saying.

So my thoughts thus far:

-hoth medical facillity is a surprise and frankly feels random and unnecessary, would rather have seen them come up with something else

-Sandcrawler looks pretty good even though the proportions are off and I still dislike that window set up, I can think of a couple ways it could be done

-Sentinel Shuttle is a complete surprise but it looks pretty good, too bad it's overpriced

-X-Wing looks really good but I can't help but be fatigued buy X-Wings and TIE Fighters no matter how good they look

-Anakin's Delta-7B, It's nice to have an updated version as I never got the original yellow Delta-7B but the proportions are still off like all the other Delta-7 and Delta-7B sets and I really wish they could come up with a better solution. Still a strong highlight for me as a massive Clone Wars fa, I might pick it up as I think it will look great next to the Blue Angel from a few years back.

-Snoke's Throne Room I think looks really good and about what I'd expect given how similar sets have been laid out. I do wish we got some red wall behind the throne but overall I really like it. What I don't like is the price, how can they justify that!? Unbelievably over-priced which is a real shame. I'll get it only on a huge discount/2x points or save up a lot of VIP points.

-V-19 I'm still hoping exists but it looks like we may have to wait until the fall before we find out

Confirmed X Wing Pilots have dual molded helmets with visors.

Thank the maker!

An excellent selection of sets here, X wing and the Throne Room are definite pick ups for me. The Sential Shuttle is a nice surprise, I'm glad they're running over a lot of the Tatooine sets. 

Do we think Lego might be releasing different parts of the Hoth Echo Base that can all be connected together? It would seem kind of odd to only release the medical bay and nothing else.

I can't see why people would complain about an Advent Calendar. They're genuinely just made for kids to open each day across December and make tiny builds. The fact that any unique figures get released in them should be enough for anyone and I'm much happier with Blue Leader Antoc Merrick being in it with both hairpiece and new helmet print. Some generic trooper figures which are always included, A couple of other named characters and various tiny builds. Same as any other calendar. I don't see the reason for just a Santa version of a character. I'll take Merrick over that any day.

The Pauldrons are the only unique thing in the Landing Craft but I'll see how much I like it when I see the build in a Lego store. Hoth Medical bay looks like a great addition to any Hoth build so I'll definitely be picking that up. It was certainly something that was missing from the UCS Hoth set.

Is the yellow droid the only unique thing in the Sandcrawler? Actually it looks like the RA-7 is a new print. Not sure why the medical droid is there though. I don't recall there being one in ANH.

The Sentinel-class shuttle is a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. Would've been nice if they replaced Ben and R2 with additional sandtroopers, but ah well.

Disappointed that Merrick's helmet doesn't use the new dual-moulded design.

Wow - loving the landing craft - although another wasted opportunity to include a couple of Mos Eisley’s wonderful denizens - GARINDAN anyone!!!

Loving the Hoth set - finally get my hands on a 2-1B!

Chuffed to see Merrick’s helmet in the original mould tbh - I’ll reserve complete judgement on the new helmets until I see first hand but one thing that really bugs me is that neither Biggs or Luke have a chin strap so the figure feels incomplete to me - perhaps the helmets will grow on me but still devestated we’re unlikely to ever get a Red Leader or Gold Five - with the X and Y-Wing releases this year - surely the perfect opportunity to complete the collection. Change is inevitable but the timing sucks and the thought process baffles...

Intrigued as to why that Solo polybag has no helmet when Lego already have the mould!?!?... again will reserve judgement till I see the film.

Hope we get a proper mudtrooper soon as well - the Solo costume design is bl00dy excellent! :))

A bad wave in general, a lot of repeats. Both in terms of mini figures and constructions. Don’t understand why TLG just simply re-release old sets instead of making close to identical new ones. At least I save some money

I'm guessing the Sentinel was unfamiliar to whoever leaked the impending release of a 'V-19'? The ships are somewhat similar.

Ooh i like some of these sets. This summer there will be so much new cool stuff from lego, it becomes hard to choose.

Sandcrawler: when i heard about this set, i just knew i would want it, but now i have second thoughts. It feels a bit squashed. The length is too short for its height, making it a bit of a kiddy sandcrawler. Better pictures maybe will change my mind again.

Hoth Medical Chamber: Love it! Will buy. It catches the Hoth feeling really good. Now i want to watch the movie again.

Snoke's Throne Room: I stopped buying sw stuff that's not OT, but i think i'll make an exception for this one. Loving the whole vibe of it. I think i'll use it for Vader :-) I do not think it is that overpriced btw (all lego is overpriced lol). Would have liked another guard though, but that one is probably for next year's advent calender.

Imperial Landing Craft: Looks good! Only the Ben Kenobi and R2-D2 figures are not the figures i'm looking for. Move along Obi Wan, move along. Why not added Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen instead (this was a good opportunity)? Or more stormtroopers.

X-wing: Nice! Might buy it, but i have to check with all those other themes i'd like to get sets of.

Anakins starfighter: yeah, whatever. looks okay i guess. Pass.

I'm not someone who jumps into finding small things in sets such as silhouetted images of ships on boxes and expecting them to be a precursor to a release... but...

It's quite interesting that there's a very tiny Cloud City build with cloud car circling it in the micro builds from the Advent Calendar. It's the only ESB build in the calendar... along with IG-88.

4 minutes ago, Robianco said:

I'm not someone who jumps into finding small things in sets such as silhouetted images of ships on boxes and expecting them to be a precursor to a release... but...

It's quite interesting that there's a very tiny Cloud City build with cloud car circling it in the micro builds from the Advent Calendar. It's the only ESB build in the calendar... along with IG-88.

Didn't IG-88 become Cloud City (in a sw novel that is)?

6 minutes ago, Robianco said:

Well I think CC is all but confirmed, but that is another hint surely. :) Every other little build does seem to correspond to a set. Also going on that line of thinking, the Naboo Starfighter is rather conspicuous ...

13 minutes ago, Borex said:

He actually became the Second Death Star

And does anybody know the release date for the Sandcrawler et al?

14 minutes ago, Archangelo said:

There's one "bucket head" guard and one "lock jaw" in the throne room set, right?

The guards are identical.

8 minutes ago, Renegade Clone said:

The guards are identical.

Oh. Nevermind then, one looked differently on one picture

New Lego RA-7 Droid - Wrong Torso

The RA-7 droid that was shown with the Sandcrawler at the Toy Fair looks to have an Imperial torso on it (mistakenly obviously as the promo images show a different torso for it). I can't place this one from an existing figure so I'm assuming it's an officer of some kind in the remaining two Solo sets?

56 minutes ago, Borex said:

Well he was with the pile of scrap with the Ugnaughts when Chewie recovered 3PO.

So you never know... Maybe it's to put add some decoration to a room on the UCS CC? Also... Is that a terminated Zuckuss there too?

IG-88 as Scrap on Cloud City

Edited by Robianco

I bet those bootleg Praetorian Guard figures might be a little more popular now, especially as there are three unique helmets.