MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

54 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Does it really matter?

Well if you are not a big fan of "alternative facts" and think source critique is important, so yes. Especially when the only written source I have found is stating something else than what people are saying

Let this discussion end here before an admin have to tell us to change topic, and if somebody has a source or a guide on lego scales other than the one Ive already cited, please send me a pm.

However, I do realize that I probably sound a bit unappreciative for the help, which is not my intention, but an official description by lego on the different terminologies would ease my mind

Edited by Sneakguest

The last system Y-Wing is too small to be minifig scale, whereas the UCS Y-Wing is closer to minifig scale but is slightly oversized. The UCS Y-Wing is the closest rendition to date to minifig scale. I used the Complete Vehicle sets length description between the MF and Y-wing and then compared the listed length on Lego shop of the length of the UCS MF and UCS Y-Wing.

On 4/28/2018 at 4:44 PM, BacktoBricks said:

I'm not sure if I believe this, as those with a little info believe this to be a Solo/LJ set which of course a Tie Interceptor could well be, but the only link I can find of 75221 being a Tie Interceptor is an article on Brickset a couple of years ago where they made up potential sets and attributed the number 75221 to a Tie Interceptor set they would like to see: https://brickset.com/article/23218/what-s-missing-return-of-the-jedi

So either CapnRex101 from Brickset is psychic or the article has got it wrong. Of course, I would like nothing more than CapnRex101 to be psychic!

I checked back with Brickfanatics and they claim they have 2 sources reporting a new TIE Interceptor. See their tweet here 

5 hours ago, Terrasher said:

It says that non-Star Wars VIP Card holders will have to spend 30 Euro to receive the poster.

Thanks for the info. Of the people shopping SW legos on May the 4th, how many of them are spending less than 30 euros? Seems silly.

16 minutes ago, Richpepperell said:

I checked back with Brickfanatics and they claim they have 2 sources reporting a new TIE Interceptor. See their tweet here 

Thank you for sharing that. Let's hope it's indeed of some substance as the TIE Interceptor remake is long overdue in my opinion.

35 minutes ago, Richpepperell said:

Wow then that really is freaky! What are the chances of someone making up a set name and then putting it to the right future number. Maybe we should all stop speculating about what's coming and just go ask CapnRex101. ?

Interesting, if true.

I'm a big TIE fan, so I'd be looking forward to it. Just weird for Lego to release the same ship different wings in the same year. Would have made more sense to release the Heavy TIE as part of the Solo wave instead, as it doesn't have a single design element in common with the Interceptor.

28 minutes ago, Alexastor said:

Interesting, if true.

I'm a big TIE fan, so I'd be looking forward to it. Just weird for Lego to release the same ship different wings in the same year. Would have made more sense to release the Heavy TIE as part of the Solo wave instead, as it doesn't have a single design element in common with the Interceptor.

Yes, i agree that would have made more sense. 

But - we can hope for a better design on the cockpit -

The Solo TIE-fighter does not have a good cockpit design IMO (the 2017 First Order Special Forces TIE fighter did have a better design). 

2 hours ago, Robianco said:

It's not really about what people think it is. It's simply whether or not the build is to the correct size in proportion to a minifigure. Something that is built too large or too small can't be minifigure scale as it's obviously not built to that particular size.

If you're building a family car, as stated in the link to Brickwiki, system scale might very well be minifigure scale, but when were dealing with vehicles in the SW universe then that can change. That's why sets such as the smaller, regular Millennium Falcon sets are considered system scale but are never recognised as minifigure scale. Yes you can put a couple of minifigures in the cockpit and have them dotted around the interior but it's clearly not minifigure scale as the Falcon cockpit should seat more than that. 

It's never really been an issue. We get regular sets and they're neither one thing or the other... but when we have alternate scales for certain vessels they tend to be differentiated by being called 'system' or 'minifig' scale. 10212 Imperial Shuttle v 75094 Shuttle Tydirium is another good example. Both basically the same vessel but one was ÂŁ80 as part of a regular wave and one was almost ÂŁ250 many years earlier. They made the larger UCS 'true minifigure scale' as it was the size it should be based on the size of a minifigure. Same with UCS Slave 1 and UCS Falcon.

Designer of the UCS Slave 1 also states it clearly at around 25 seconds into the video here

The reason I'm happy to discuss what minifigure scale means in relation to this year's SW theme is my focus of collecting mainly minifigure scale vehicles at this point. I've got the system scale Y-Wing from RO but I'll probably sell it on and replace with the UCS set seeing as it's so close to minifigure scale. It's what's also spurred me on to sell the 10240 Red Five and stick with the upcoming X-Wing from the Summer Wave.

I've had the same thought about collecting only minifig scale, but I'll still stick to larger scale sets too. I'll keep my red five ucs but I do plan on getting the x wing from this summer.

As for this discussion and official word from lego, numerous individuals, including myself, have linked the definition to the instructions and designer video of slave I. Numerous others have said that the y wing is closest to minfig scale but a little bit too big. Anything more than that is just restating what we've all already said.

Edited by gvh

So it's said the UCS is about 7cm too long (and profitably proportionately off in width/height etc too), how far off is the system scale set in cm? The system scale sets just look closer to scale to me than the UCS version... 

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

So it's said the UCS is about 7cm too long (and profitably proportionately off in width/height etc too), how far off is the system scale set in cm? The system scale sets just look closer to scale to me than the UCS version... 

So the Rogue one set is 48 cm long and the new ucs is 61 cm long. If the new one is 7 cm longer than "minifig scale," than the other one is 6 cm shorter than minifig scale. I didn't come up with the 7 cm long difference though.

*update*

Having done some more math, I've come up with another few simulations. If you treat a minifigure as the average height of a male human (6 ft), then you have a ratio of 4 cm to 6 ft. With the length of a y wing at 77 feet, the length of a "minifig scale" y wing should be between 51 cm and 53 cm. :/

Using the calculator recommended by brickvault, you'll get a length of 54 cm for a perfect ratio with a 77 foot y wing, which would put the ucs model at exactly 7 cm longer than minifig scale. I tested it with the new ucs falcon, and its not perfect "minifig scale" either, for it's 4 cm longer than minifig scale.

Proportions on minifigures aren't exactly human, so overall the whole issue is tough to gauge. Tbh, its a fantasitc looking model and I'll be getting it regardless. I hope this puts to rest the issue about it being minifig scale or not.

Edited by gvh

4 hours ago, thorin said:

Thanks for the info. Of the people shopping SW legos on May the 4th, how many of them are spending less than 30 euros? Seems silly.

Seriously, what a dumb idea. Between lego and/or the postal system losing my black card and these lame promos I’m annoyed I bothered in the first place. 

12 hours ago, Terrasher said:

I think there was already a raffle for the platinum R2D2 a few months ago. I have no idea how it went, though.

Over at Hothbricks there is a post that confirms that the special Star Wars VIP Card promo will indeed be the poster of the Y-Wing blueprints with any SW purchase (no minimum price requirement, apparently). It says that non-Star Wars VIP Card holders will have to spend 30 Euro to receive the poster.

A poster. A frickin poster. At least make it a t-shirt that says “I purchased 75192 and all I got was this crappy t-shirt”. What do they think the age demographic is of people who purchased the UCS Falcon? And if you can get it by spending $30 anyway what is the point? The free shipping threshold in my part of the world is $200. You wouldn’t put in an order in for less than that as the min. shipping charge is ~$40!

3 hours ago, gvh said:

So the Rogue one set is 48 cm long and the new ucs is 61 cm long. If the new one is 7 cm longer than "minifig scale," than the other one is 6 cm shorter than minifig scale. I didn't come up with the 7 cm long difference though.

*update*

Having done some more math, I've come up with another few simulations. If you treat a minifigure as the average height of a male human (6 ft), then you have a ratio of 4 cm to 6 ft. With the length of a y wing at 77 feet, the length of a "minifig scale" y wing should be between 51 cm and 53 cm. :/

Using the calculator recommended by brickvault, you'll get a length of 54 cm for a perfect ratio with a 77 foot y wing, which would put the ucs model at exactly 7 cm longer than minifig scale. I tested it with the new ucs falcon, and its not perfect "minifig scale" either, for it's 4 cm longer than minifig scale.

Proportions on minifigures aren't exactly human, so overall the whole issue is tough to gauge. Tbh, its a fantasitc looking model and I'll be getting it regardless. I hope this puts to rest the issue about it being minifig scale or not.

Yeah, that's the only issue with 'minifig scale' is that at some point, you have to take into consideration it can't be perfect due to the odd width/height issues of a minifig, therefore, I always go with close to the size and then what looks good from there on.
4cm for the UCS falcon I'd say is perfectly negligible a difference, additionally owing to the varied dimensions of the source material itself, it's close enough it looks fine.
As for the Y-Wing, I think I prefer the system scale set to consider it minifig scale, for me personally, it just looks closer to it, and the minifig doesn't look like he's drowning in the cockpit. However, I do wonder if the UCS version is more in scale with the width of the minifig... 

Thank you for taking the time to work it out too gvh :classic:

As for the poster... I have to say, while I'm gutted I missed out on the card, I think it's pitiful as an offering considering it's not going to have been children to purchase the set, but adults (due to the cost), so at least give adult orientated promotions! While TLG are generally excellent with a lot of things, and generous with freebie promotions, I think the amount they hyped up the black VIP card- they've entirely dropped the ball on it.

On 29/04/2018 at 10:16 AM, Bartybum said:

Why? True fans don’t miss out on anything, they’ll still eventually get one for RRP because true fans understand not to buy marked up prices. People who can’t stand waiting and fork out extra cash just to have one early only have themselves to blame for their lack of patience. Using Lego as an investment is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

At 20% off, the absolute best discount I can realistically expect in Australia, I'd save $60 on the UCS Y-wing, minus the $30 it'd cost to buy the BB-8 promo on the secondary market. So I'd save a whopping $30, in exchange for waiting for it to show up in a retail store, and then waiting for that store to have a sale. And given the 6 months or so that took for the Snowspeeder... yeah $30 really doesn't mean that much to me.

Edited by Magmafrost

Damn that's a nice looking y-wing but I feel I will pass on it as the system scale R O set is very good my only bug bear with it is the astromech droid sits side ways in it not width ways but to alter it would mess up the shape and make the body too wide

9 hours ago, gvh said:

*update*

Can you please do the whole calculation in the metric system, just easier to follow 

2 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

Can you please do the whole calculation in the metric system, just easier to follow 

No prob. I'll post later today. Till then, all y'all should check this out:

http://www.suave.net/~dave/cgi/scale.cgi

It's the website used by brickvault.

51 minutes ago, gvh said:

No prob. I'll post later today. Till then, all y'all should check this out:

http://www.suave.net/~dave/cgi/scale.cgi

It's the website used by brickvault.

So according to this site a Minifig-scale Supremacy would be 172244 studs wide. Let´s start with a new MOC.:tongue:

Edited by Praetorian_Guard

2 hours ago, Praetorian_Guard said:

So according to this site a Minifig-scale Supremacy would be 172244 studs wide. Let´s start with a new MOC.:tongue:

New community build? :laugh:

6 hours ago, Praetorian_Guard said:

Nearly 1.5 kilometers, not so much :sweet:

My opinion is that the upcoming Y wing is at the right scale. I have come to the conclusion that a minifigure is roughly 1:38 scale then Y wing is almost perfect size.

The only thing that bothers me about this set, is the disparition of the droid bodies for the wings.

I personally don't care whether or not a ship is at minifig scale. Since minifigures can be interpreted as either very small or very wide people, I'd rather know if a ship is on scale with another ship.

The new UCS Y-Wing is not at scale with the UCS Millenium Falcon, nor with the UCS Lambda Shuttle or UCS Slave I. There has been some debate as to the scale of the Slave I compared to the Millenium Falcon, but I think what matters most is whether the Y-Wing and MF are to scale, since both these ships will be displayed together most of the time.

Anyways, it's a nice set, but I'm trying to limit myself as to the SW sets I purchase, since they can be rather expensive for what you get. Strictly things that are to scale with each other, for me!

-----------------------------------

About the black VIP card promos - they suck. But it's not that big a deal! Anyone who owns the Black VIP Card also owns the largest LEGO set ever, so those hundreds of dollars were not such a waste! :laugh::classic:

On 29/4/2018 at 9:28 PM, Robianco said:

The reason I'm happy to discuss what minifigure scale means in relation to this year's SW theme is my focus of collecting mainly minifigure scale vehicles at this point. I've got the system scale Y-Wing from RO but I'll probably sell it on and replace with the UCS set seeing as it's so close to minifigure scale. It's what's also spurred me on to sell the 10240 Red Five and stick with the upcoming X-Wing from the Summer Wave.

This is making me think about the ships compared to the real air forces planes (after all, Lucas based the models in them).

If the no-UCS X-Wing is in minifig scale, and this UCS Y-Wing is in minifig scale too. Then, if the X-Wing is a fighter, the Y-Wing is closer to a bomber like the B-26  than to another fighter.

I always saw the Y-Wing as a fighter similar to a X-Wing (but as a bomber).

Edited by hachiroku