MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

1 hour ago, G59 said:

some guy on r***** managed to take a picture of the new UCS Y-Wing mounted...it looks amazing.

Here it is for those that haven't seen it. I agree, it looks brilliant. 

59 minutes ago, bataleon said:

I also agree, but the amount of positive comments legitimately concerns me. I'm honestly afraid that they are going to sell out in minutes like the falcon. I've seen comments about people expecting to buy multiple copies, and to be quite frank, I can't stand the investors who buy just to make a buck while true fans miss out. I really hope lego prepared adequately.

Edited by gvh

41 minutes ago, gvh said:

I can't stand the investors who buy just to make a buck while true fans miss out. I really hope lego prepared adequately.

Why? True fans don’t miss out on anything, they’ll still eventually get one for RRP because true fans understand not to buy marked up prices. People who can’t stand waiting and fork out extra cash just to have one early only have themselves to blame for their lack of patience. Using Lego as an investment is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

2 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Why? True fans don’t miss out on anything, they’ll still eventually get one for RRP because true fans understand not to buy marked up prices. People who can’t stand waiting and fork out extra cash just to have one early only have themselves to blame for their lack of patience. Using Lego as an investment is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

I don't advocate for handing out extra cash to get models. I'm saying people shouldn't have to do so to get a model they want to purchase. I agree one should be able to use it as an investment, but I don't agree with people who solely use it for that and rob the chance for real fans to purchase the model on day one. I felt that way when I wanted to purchase the falcon last year and wasn't able to till november, yet I saw people who had never done anything with lego before snag a model for investment purposes only.

7 hours ago, gvh said:

I don't advocate for handing out extra cash to get models. I’m saying people shouldn’t have to do so to get a model they want to purchase.

IIRC each UCS set is available for two years. If I want one then there’s really no reason I shouldn’t be able to find one for RRP sometime in those two years. If I can’t afford it at that stage then bad luck, perhaps Lego isn’t the hobby for me.

7 hours ago, gvh said:

...rob the chance for real fans to purchase the model on day one.

Oh the poor souls, god forbid they have to wait a bit longer to buy some Lego. If I want it on day one then I’d better get there first - simple as that. If I can’t then tough titties, there’s always the not too distant future when the next shipment comes in. If I end up having to wait a year then that’s Lego’s doing by not making enough sets available, not investors’.  I’m willing to bet that most scalpers are also fans of Lego too by the way.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Bartybum

14 hours ago, Toc13 said:

OT but I believe this to be a reference to the 'Miracle of the Sun' or 'Miracle of Fatima' as it is otherwise known.

And there are those that would consider 'Durkadurkastan' a bit off, simply because it's a 'stan'

I'm aware what the OP was referring too. It happened over a hundred years ago when there were illiterate peasants everywhere, but this is now.

Stan means "land of", nothing more. I can't see why anyone would have a problem with that. Durkadurkastan is a ficticious country which I referenced because I thought it wouldn't incite anyone. 

Please can we avoid any discussions about re-selling etc, and keep this thread focused on 2018 sets, thanks.

And, please can I remind everyone about the site guidelines, specifically: 'Don't be offensive to other members. We like Eurobricks to be a friendly place to discuss LEGO and won't allow posts that are intended to offend or attack'.  Several of the responses to Paperballpark's post were completely unnecessary (even if intended as 'humorous') - I'm very grateful for the information he kindly provided.

Thanks for the image @Bataleon - the new Y-Wing looks incredible :wub:

That Y-Wing looks great. I've been trying to work out how close to minifig scale it is and it seems a little too large to be true minifig scale but definitely seems closer to it than the system scale version from RO.

43 minutes ago, Robianco said:

That Y-Wing looks great. I've been trying to work out how close to minifig scale it is and it seems a little too large to be true minifig scale but definitely seems closer to it than the system scale version from RO.

Now you are confusing me, system scale and minifies scale are supposed to be the same thing

On 4/27/2018 at 3:49 PM, BacktoBricks said:

Please don't tarnish us all with the same brush; I for one (and I assume the majority of others) are extremely grateful for whatever information you have / will give us.

Me too. Provided it isn’t made up.

6 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

Now you are confusing me, system scale and minifies scale are supposed to be the same thing

Minifig scale is tough to nail down but is usually based off a minifig height. System scale is not really a particular scale. It’s really just playable size sometimes that’s bigger than minifig scale sometimes smaller. It mostly refers to regular play sets. 

3 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

I think there's a lot of wiggle room with the two terms, but I generally think of System scale to be LEGO's slightly-smaller-than-minifig scale, which they seem to resort to in order to meet cost/budget constraints of a set. It's a fairly acceptable compromise between affordability, playability, and screen-accuracy. Whereas minifig scale is a more accurate-to-the-source-material scale, or as accurate as you can be given the wonky proportions of a minifig. Most notable example being: the $160 Millennium Falcon is System scale, but the $800 UCS Millennium Falcon is mInifig scale.

21 hours ago, Terrasher said:

A post on the lego subreddit claims that Black VIP Card holders will receive a poster depicting the blueprints of the Y-wing.

I found a similar reddit post, but it indicated it would be a poster that you could hang up indicating that you are a “vip” black card holder. The same post also mentions a raffle for all black vip card holders for the platinum r2d2 from previously...

Not sure how true it is, but something in me has to believe that there will be something out there for black card holders on May the Fourth.

5 minutes ago, thorin said:

I found a similar reddit post, but it indicated it would be a poster that you could hang up indicating that you are a “vip” black card holder. The same post also mentions a raffle for all black vip card holders for the platinum r2d2 from previously...

Not sure how true it is, but something in me has to believe that there will be something out there for black card holders on May the Fourth.

I think there was already a raffle for the platinum R2D2 a few months ago. I have no idea how it went, though.

Over at Hothbricks there is a post that confirms that the special Star Wars VIP Card promo will indeed be the poster of the Y-Wing blueprints with any SW purchase (no minimum price requirement, apparently). It says that non-Star Wars VIP Card holders will have to spend 30 Euro to receive the poster.

57 minutes ago, stormtroopercaptain said:

Minifig scale is tough to nail down but is usually based off a minifig height. System scale is not really a particular scale. It’s really just playable size sometimes that’s bigger than minifig scale sometimes smaller. It mostly refers to regular play sets. 

54 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

I think there's a lot of wiggle room with the two terms, but I generally think of System scale to be LEGO's slightly-smaller-than-minifig scale, which they seem to resort to in order to meet cost/budget constraints of a set. It's a fairly acceptable compromise between affordability, playability, and screen-accuracy. Whereas minifig scale is a more accurate-to-the-source-material scale, or as accurate as you can be given the wonky proportions of a minifig. Most notable example being: the $160 Millennium Falcon is System scale, but the $800 UCS Millennium Falcon is mInifig scale.

Well according to http://www.brickwiki.info/wiki/Scale it is the same thing. 

1 hour ago, Sneakguest said:

It says: sometimes referred to as system scale. And the citation used is a car. Obviously Lego has a massive range of themes and so there will be a massive range of differentiation in what system scale means within each theme.

Add to that ratio factors: a smaller 1 man craft and the difference between system and Minifig scale is much harder to notice/ see. The example given is perfect illustration with the falcon, but any large set will show that system is not default Minifig scale: AT-AT, ISD, The Ghost even.

I think Robianco maybe right that the New UCS Y-wing looks closer to the mark than the RO version but is a little oversized to be true Minifig scale

For all those wondering, the y wing is indeed larger than "minifig scale," but it is closer than the rogue one set from last year.

Minifig scale refers to the best possible ratio between the size of a minifigure as compared to a human and the size of the model as compared to the thing in "real life." If both ratio's match up (Or get close) it is minifig scale. The 2010 imperial shuttle, both ucs falcon's, slave I, and the new y wing (I would consider. It's, as I've heard, about 7 cm off minifig scale) are minifig scale under this definition.

The x ying, b wing, and tie fighter UCS sets are about 1.5 times bigger than minifif scale, and the snowspeeder (im guessing on a whim for this one) is approximately 2.5 times bigger than minifig scale.

2 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

With regards to certain Star Wars vessels it isn't. As someone pointed out, the 75105 and 7965 Falcon is system scale but the UCS Falcon is minifig scale. 8097 Slave 1 is system scale but the 75060 is minifig scale. 75172 Y-Wing is system scale... but the new UCS set could be more like the recent Snowspeeder which is a display piece and is oversized. It may actually be slightly oversized but is closer to minifig scale. Then you have things like the TIE Fighters, Snowspeeders and X-Wings with which the system scale sets ARE the same as minifig scale.

Edited by Robianco

19 minutes ago, Robianco said:

With regards to certain Star Wars vessels it isn't. As someone pointed out, the 75105 and 7965 Falcon is system scale but the UCS Falcon is minifig scale. 8097 Slave 1 is system scale but the 75060 is minifig scale. 75172 Y-Wing is system scale... but the new UCS set could be more like the recent Snowspeeder which is a display piece and is oversized. It may actually be slightly oversized but is closer to minifig scale. Then you have things like the TIE Fighters, Snowspeeders and X-Wings with which the system scale sets ARE the same as minifig scale.

You're right on that last part especially. The new x wing this summer is minifig scale, and is two thirds the size of the ucs version.

I know we are getting off topic here, but if I someone has any reference to an official description from lego with the different scales rather than what people assume or think it is, I would appreciate

3 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

I know we are getting off topic here, but if I someone has any reference to an official description from lego with the different scales rather than what people assume or think it is, I would appreciate

Does it really matter?

6 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

in the slave I instructions, there is a description/ mention of minifig scale by the designer in the interview. I don't have it with me currently, but lego acknowledges minifig scale as there being a proportionate ratio between minifig to human and model to ship

Edited by gvh

20 hours ago, bataleon said:

Amazing set. Looks really great as a display model.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

It's not really about what people think it is. It's simply whether or not the build is to the correct size in proportion to a minifigure. Something that is built too large or too small can't be minifigure scale as it's obviously not built to that particular size.

If you're building a family car, as stated in the link to Brickwiki, system scale might very well be minifigure scale, but when were dealing with vehicles in the SW universe then that can change. That's why sets such as the smaller, regular Millennium Falcon sets are considered system scale but are never recognised as minifigure scale. Yes you can put a couple of minifigures in the cockpit and have them dotted around the interior but it's clearly not minifigure scale as the Falcon cockpit should seat more than that. 

It's never really been an issue. We get regular sets and they're neither one thing or the other... but when we have alternate scales for certain vessels they tend to be differentiated by being called 'system' or 'minifig' scale. 10212 Imperial Shuttle v 75094 Shuttle Tydirium is another good example. Both basically the same vessel but one was £80 as part of a regular wave and one was almost £250 many years earlier. They made the larger UCS 'true minifigure scale' as it was the size it should be based on the size of a minifigure. Same with UCS Slave 1 and UCS Falcon.

Designer of the UCS Slave 1 also states it clearly at around 25 seconds into the video here

The reason I'm happy to discuss what minifigure scale means in relation to this year's SW theme is my focus of collecting mainly minifigure scale vehicles at this point. I've got the system scale Y-Wing from RO but I'll probably sell it on and replace with the UCS set seeing as it's so close to minifigure scale. It's what's also spurred me on to sell the 10240 Red Five and stick with the upcoming X-Wing from the Summer Wave.

Edited by Robianco