MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

17 minutes ago, belkor said:

Isn't the dropship in that set from TCW rather than the PTs? 

It appeared in TCW a number of times, but its first appearance was deploying AT-TEs during the Battle of Geonosis in Attack of the Clones. That said, the one depicted in the set is in the TCW style, and it comes with animated-style clone troopers (although I wonder whether it would've come with movie-style ones if they'd had the newer style helmet mold in 2009; they couldn't really get by using the one from 2002).

2 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The age of the movies is definitely a factor. Obviously a lot of people don't like the prequels, but the impression I've gotten from talking to a lot of people about this is that people who saw them when they were kids (specifically when they were young enough not to be repulsed by Jar Jar) have much more positive opinions of them than people who remember before it was called the Original Trilogy. The number of people who can afford UCS sets and aren't viscerally disgusted by The Phantom Menace increases every day. Your mileage may vary, of course. :wink:

I was specifically hedging there by saying 'vehicles' rather than sets. I'm not sure I really count the Naboo starfighter, either, though--I understand that it's officially a UCS set, but I have a hard time applying that label to something that's smaller than the standard system-scale version. We also both forgot the Republic Dropship and AT-OT Walker, likely because it's system-scale, but that's formally a UCS set, too.

Ultimately, I'm not certain to what extent it actually boils down to popularity. That would make perfect logical sense, but I sure can't see that pattern in LEGO's releases. The first one they released (well, tied for first) was a TIE Interceptor, but the much more iconic TIE/ln had to wait fifteen years? The TIE Interceptor apparently isn't even popular enough to warrant release as a regular set this decade. And what about the Republic Dropship and AT-OT Walker? The AT-OT isn't just not iconic; it has zero appearances anywhere in Star Wars except for ten seconds in the background in RotS. Even fairly serious fans could be forgiven for never having heard of it. The dropship's appeared in a few other places, but it wasn't exactly the star of the show, either. And those vehicles aren't even associated with each other--presumably those dropships deploy AT-OTs like that, but they've never been shown doing so with anything other than AT-TEs. I have no idea why that set exists, and I'm not convinced that we can really guess at LEGO's motives in any very useful way. :sceptic:

To be fair, an AT-TE was literally released a year prior. LEGO probably just wanted to throw something in extra to show off the feature, so they just kinda randomly threw in an AT-OT. 

Cannot believe the calendar won't come out till April 9, which I assume means we won't be seeing anything about the y-wing till then. You would think with the leak they'd go ahead and release it. True, it does look pretty, but what I want to know is the piececount. No doubt the thing will be $200, but I'd like to see something closer to at least 2000 pieces to warrant a purchase, as opposed to 1500-1700 like previous $200 ucs sets. Considering that, I'd rather buy ninjago city or carousel.

Edited by gvh

3 minutes ago, gvh said:

Cannot believe the calendar won't come out till April 9, which I assume means we won't be seeing anything about the y-wing till then. You would think with the leak they'd go ahead and release it. True, it does look pretty, but what I want to know is the piececount. No doubt the thing will be $200, but I'd like to see something closer to at least 2000 pieces to warrant a purchase, as opposed to 1500-1700 like previous $200 ucs sets. Considering that, I'd rather buy ninjago city or carousel.

Lego just announced the Y wing. 200$ for 1967 pieces. One figure and one droid, both of which were leaked. No arm printing. They got some good pictures up.

3 minutes ago, SCREDEYE said:

Lego just announced the Y wing. 200$ for 1967 pieces. One figure and one droid, both of which were leaked. No arm printing. They got some good pictures up.

Not as late as I thought they'd be. It looks nice, but with arm printing on the snowspeeder and tie minifigs there's really no excuse for it here.

Edited by gvh

Just now, Falconfan1414 said:

the buildable B.B.-8 may the 4th promo also is out there. It’s a nice looking build 

link?

tons of stickers is the new UCS norm ... glad i don't care about UCS sets ... 

27 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

the buildable B.B.-8 may the 4th promo also is out there. It’s a nice looking build 

Frustrating that the UCS Y-wing has stickers, including the dreaded canopy stickers, but the free promo BB-8 is all nice printed elements :angry:

This Y-wing looks roughly 75 studs long, putting it at 4.7 studs/meter (for comparison the UCS Falcons are 3.0s/m). The 2004 version was longer at 66cm / 82.5 studs, but had over-sized nacelles. 

It's not in scale with 75192, is it? It's much too big?

I'm not pumped about a 250CAD price tag, especially if the set will look grossly out of scale with other minifig scale ships.

17 minutes ago, Renegade Clone said:

This Y-wing looks roughly 75 studs long, putting it at 4.7 studs/meter (for comparison the UCS Falcons are 3.0s/m). The 2004 version was longer at 66cm / 82.5 studs, but had over-sized nacelles. 

The official dimensions are 61 cm (L) x 24 cm (H) x 30 cm (W). 

BB-8 looks okay. I feel like the eye could have been printed a little lower because now it looks like he’s permanently looking up. 

I was half right about the canopy stickers it seems :laugh:

Too bad about them, but at least it's not slathered with them Snowspeeder style. 

That 20$ CAD more sure ain't welcomed; and I'm really worried about the nacelles drooping; that's a lot of weight for such a long distance with 4 technic bars, even if they are reinforced. They also used that horrendous generic smug pilot face for a named pilot, same as the snowspeeder. At least use the X-wing micro fighter pilot head if you are too lazy re-designing one Lego, it's so much better. Oh and that astromech is dope. 

But overall it looks a lot better than the previous version with the color choices and greebling. 

I imagine I'm probably part of a minority, but I am just so excited about this new astromech, although I couldn't care less about the set. Gun metal grey and metallic printing? Count me in! :wub:

Astro.jpg

Edited by BrickHat

34 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

I imagine I'm probably part of a minority, but I am just so excited about this new astromech, although I couldn't care less about the set. Gun metal grey and metallic printing? Count me in! :wub:

Astro.jpg

Isn’t hat the astromech that came with the Imperial V-Wing from a few years ago?

Color me impressed and looking forward to getting this in a month! The stickers are a non-issue with me. Best I can tell there's ten stickers total (5 each side) on the vehicle: one on the side of the cockpit; one white one on a yellow 1x8; and 3 yellow stickers on white bricks. Not sure where some folks are getting the "all the yellow are stickers" opinion. Most of the yellow is brick-based. Sure, I'd prefer printed pieces but stickers are never a turn-off for me personally.

The buildable BB-8 is cute and will go nicely with last year's R2. I'm personally apathetic at best about minifigs so the turn away from using them for May 4th promos doesn't bug me one bit. 

Edited by BuckeyeLegoLover

I never put the canopy stickers on my UCS x wing and probably won't here either. Set looks great though!

EDIT: Hmm maybe I'll have to since they are that blue gray color.

Edited by karmajay

3 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Yes it looks good, nice for those who liked the R2D2 last year, hopefully there will be a minifigure as well (last year the R1 one astromech just a few days later)

The Y-Wing looks like a great set, and is almost in 'bargain' territory in the UK (£169.99) especially as it's almost 2,000 parts.

Definitely a day one purchase for me - I'm looking forward to building it :wub:

AT-TE from the Prequels or the Resurgent Class from the Sequels are the only two non-OT UCS sets I could see being successful.

Both are fantastic designs and are bulky enough to withstand the weight of the larger build.