MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

I can't believe we're finding out about a UCS Y-Wing from the actual box in a store.  Lego is running an air-tight ship these days ;)

As for the Y-Wing, it looks fantastic.  It does appear to be minifig scale, at least to me.  The cockpit is perhaps not as well done as some of the MOCs out there or as well as it could be, but the rest of the ship holds its own against any of the renditions we've seen.  I've got Brickwright's Y-Wing but I think I'll have to pick this up as well.  After all, no two Y-Wings are the same!

2 hours ago, Schneeds said:

I can't believe we're finding out about a UCS Y-Wing from the actual box in a store.  Lego is running an air-tight ship these days ;)

It's how we found out about 75159 Death Star in 2016; a staff member at the Baltimore LBS started building it in the middle of the store three day before it was supposed to get announced.

The 75192 Millennium Falcon got similarly outed when a LBS store in Rome put out a leftlet for October releases in the last couple of days of September.

PS - we just got a C&D email for our April Fool's joke.

lego_jabbasailbarge_candd.jpg

26 minutes ago, LEGOscum said:

PS - we just got a C&D email for our April Fool's joke.

My, my, my, what have we here.

If there is a UCS Sail Barge in the making (which would be amazing), at what production stage might it be? I hope TLG was being serious with that C&D, for it would sorta confirm an upcoming UCS set.

Yay for more speculation and rumors! :laugh:

They ought to be messing with us; or did they just leaked themselves? :laugh:

Safest bet is clueless legal team...

2 hours ago, RetroInferno said:

They ought to be messing with us; or did they just leaked themselves? :laugh:

Safest bet is clueless legal team...

I mean the hulkbuster got found in a store and was literally built by someone before we got a reveal of anything. Price, piece count, anything. 

EDIT: I JUST REALIZED THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT THE SAIL BARGE WOW STUPID ME. Definitely bait but man, a sail barge would be great 

Edited by RogueRecon

Hasbro are trying to crowd fund an action figure scale Sail Barge which is probably the inspiration for this “humour”.

23 minutes ago, Jedi-Bendu said:

what a sad company LEGO has become..... a C&D because of an obvious april fools joke.

That or it itself is an April Fools and Lego were actually taking the mick out of themselves by playing on the fact that they have become known for their overbearing legal procedure ...

1 hour ago, BacktoBricks said:

That or it itself is an April Fools and Lego were actually taking the mick out of themselves by playing on the fact that they have become known for their overbearing legal procedure ...

or Lego is depressed about Toys R us going bankrupt, that they took it out on another website, without knowing that the post was an April Fools Day Prank

17 hours ago, Schneeds said:

We didn't know anything about it, even name or price, and we just got a picture one month before it will be released. Weird.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

We didn't know anything about it, even name or price, and we just got a picture one month before it will be released. Weird.

Yes we did. We had a number, set name and CA$ price point weeks ago.

41 minutes ago, Theemp1re said:

Shouldn’t of the May Lego calendar dropped by now?

It's expected on April 9th.

Oh, and the Cease & Desist letter was the real April's Fools prank. We doctored one of the many, many, many we have received from LEGO about sharing all the LSW news we can.

Edited by LEGOscum

5 minutes ago, LEGOscum said:

Yes we did. We had a number, set name and CA$ price point weeks ago.

It's expected on April 9th.

Oh, and the Cease & Desist letter was the real April's Fools prank. We doctored one of the many, many, many we have received from LEGO about sharing all the LSW news we can.

And here's me thinking Lego had a sense of humour. ?

8 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

And here's me thinking Lego had a sense of humour. ?

Thanks for the message you posted on Brickset about our prank. I doubt Huw will update the story to include us; Rebelscum is blacklisted by most of the RLFM sites.

Edited by LEGOscum

21 minutes ago, LEGOscum said:

Thanks for the message you posted on Brickset about our prank. I doubt Huw will update the story to include us; Rebelscum is blacklisted by most of the RLFM sites.

Haha no problem :) I saw no reason why your efforts should be discarded. I can't personally keep up with who likes who. ? People can still read it in the comments either way.

None of the others mentioned on Brickset were really believable so when it comes to actual 'pranks' I think yours did a lot better. If only that Lego vacuum was true ...

Edited by BacktoBricks

On 31/03/2018 at 6:56 PM, RogueRecon said:

I think the shuttle is more likely to be re-released than be remade

I doubt that, they’ve never actually just straight up rereleased a UCS. Even the Death Star Wars updated. The Snowspeeder, Falcon, X-wing and this Y-Wing are vastly updated

I wish we could have something completely new. Wether it be Cloud City, an Mandator IV/Resurgent or even the Supremacy, but please not the 5th(?) renewal in a row.

As much as I’d love a few sets that I never managed to get my hands on. I do agree we need something new. A sail barge is something that would work amazingly with the currently availible Skiff. Some clone wars stuff wouldn’t go amiss, if we can’t get an AT-AT, why not a UCS AT-TE, there won’t be nearly as much issue with stability.

Something from the Prequels or the Sequels would be refreshing, but TLG doesn't seem to like to venture outside the Original Trilogy, probably because OT sets are most likely to sell better than the other trilogies.

Personally, I'm glad we're only getting OT UCS's so far (I only collect OT). Some nice ships that are yet to be made UCS are the Barge, AT-AT, TIE Bomber and Interceptor, Nebulon, Home One, A-Wing, Mos Eisley Cantina, etc.

A minifigure-scale Barge would be pretty big, while also being smaller than the MF. A minifig-scale AT-AT would be monstruous and I'm not surprised it hasn't been done before, due to stability and whatnot.

1 hour ago, Terrasher said:

A minifig-scale AT-AT would be monstruous and I'm not surprised it hasn't been done before, due to stability and whatnot.

Honestly, the AT-AT probably isn’t as impossible as people think

A lot of people see Cavegods model and freak out but you gotta remember, the Cavegod AT-AT is actually too big for minifigures. An actual minifig scale AT-AT could probably work pretty well, with the only real sacrifice being leg posability 

2 hours ago, Terrasher said:

Something from the Prequels or the Sequels would be refreshing, but TLG doesn't seem to like to venture outside the Original Trilogy, probably because OT sets are most likely to sell better than the other trilogies.

Personally, I'm glad we're only getting OT UCS's so far (I only collect OT). Some nice ships that are yet to be made UCS are the Barge, AT-AT, TIE Bomber and Interceptor, Nebulon, Home One, A-Wing, Mos Eisley Cantina, etc.

Even if you and some others prefer exclusively OT sets, surely limiting the largest and most impressive models to an aging and ever-diminishing subset of the IP can only be detrimental to the brand. The generation that remembers the release of the OT is approaching retirement age, and while they're still going to be wealthier and disproportionate consumers of expensive display sets, the equivalent demographic for the PT is 30 and rapidly moving into that market. I love UCS sets, and I wouldn't mind any of the ones you suggest, but I don't think it makes any sense at all to make a UCS set of something as comparatively obscure as a TIE Bomber when they've made exactly two vehicles from all the other six movies combined. I'd much rather have a Venator, or Supremacy, or a Vulture droid. Plus, obviously, let's get some normal sets of some of these things before we start talking about UCS ones! No TIE Bomber at all, one TIE Interceptor in 2006, no Nebulon, and a really crappy excuse for Home One (I liked the set fine, but you can't really say it was representative of the ship).

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

[...]

I don't know how much impact the age of the movies has to do with their popularity. I grew up when the prequels were coming out, but I prefer much more the Original Trilogy, but that's just me, there are others that differ. Question is, which trilogy is more popular right now and which one will be in five or ten years?

IIRC, TLG has made two (or four, if you count Darth Maul bust and Grievous) UCS sets from the prequels: Obi's starfighter and a Naboo starfighter. The question lies in "what's most likely to sell at a 250$ price tag?" If TLG is going to make a UCS set with a price of 400$+, they're going to play it safe. They'll be releasing what is most iconic, whether or not it has been made before (Millenium Falcon, Star Destroyer (rumors)) so that they're sure it will sell. Perhaps the two Prequel UCS's we've seen were TLG's dip in the pool, as though they were testing the market for PT UCS's. Perhaps they saw PT UCS's didn't sell well. Perhaps they messed up by choosing two not-very-popular ships to test the market.

Whatever the case may be, it all boils down to popularity and how many people are willing to drop 250$+ on one set. Will we be seeing PT UCS's in the future? Probably. When? When people get sick of OT ships and re-releases? Probably!

(BTW, a Venator would be neat. I wouldn't care about a Supremacy, since I don't care about the sequels. Another question could be: would TLG dare make a popular ship (big demographic) from an unpopular movie (small demographic) into a UCS?)

Sorry for the long post, but I find TLG's reasoning behind the production and the choice of UCS's pretty interesting. :classic:

2 hours ago, Terrasher said:

[snip]

The age of the movies is definitely a factor. Obviously a lot of people don't like the prequels, but the impression I've gotten from talking to a lot of people about this is that people who saw them when they were kids (specifically when they were young enough not to be repulsed by Jar Jar) have much more positive opinions of them than people who remember before it was called the Original Trilogy. The number of people who can afford UCS sets and aren't viscerally disgusted by The Phantom Menace increases every day. Your mileage may vary, of course. :wink:

I was specifically hedging there by saying 'vehicles' rather than sets. I'm not sure I really count the Naboo starfighter, either, though--I understand that it's officially a UCS set, but I have a hard time applying that label to something that's smaller than the standard system-scale version. We also both forgot the Republic Dropship and AT-OT Walker, likely because it's system-scale, but that's formally a UCS set, too.

Ultimately, I'm not certain to what extent it actually boils down to popularity. That would make perfect logical sense, but I sure can't see that pattern in LEGO's releases. The first one they released (well, tied for first) was a TIE Interceptor, but the much more iconic TIE/ln had to wait fifteen years? The TIE Interceptor apparently isn't even popular enough to warrant release as a regular set this decade. And what about the Republic Dropship and AT-OT Walker? The AT-OT isn't just not iconic; it has zero appearances anywhere in Star Wars except for ten seconds in the background in RotS. Even fairly serious fans could be forgiven for never having heard of it. The dropship's appeared in a few other places, but it wasn't exactly the star of the show, either. And those vehicles aren't even associated with each other--presumably those dropships deploy AT-OTs like that, but they've never been shown doing so with anything other than AT-TEs. I have no idea why that set exists, and I'm not convinced that we can really guess at LEGO's motives in any very useful way. :sceptic: