MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

2 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

It looks exactly like the printed canopy from the Rogue One Y-Wing set.

That's what I was thinking too, I think it makes it look a little weird because of that as well. 

Oh well doesn't matter since the Y-wing is one of my favorite ships, I will get this for sure, love it. 

Looks great! Maybe I missed it, but does anyone know who the pilot and astromech will be?

haha box is already damaged.

@Pariah There's a pic of gold leader/Dutch Vander doing the rounds (assuming they actually name him, and not leave it generic)

Edited by will

4 hours ago, Robianco said:

Does this put a bolt in the back of the head of the continual mentions of it being a Star Destroyer ‘because of the silhouette’? Finally?

I think the silhouette was actually correct. I mean, if you look at the forward section of the Y wing, it's triangular in shape, turn the guns perpendicular to the direction of the y wing, and then make it all shady, there you have your mistaken ISD silhouette.  

TLG must has be given us teh cluez all along!!1! :laugh:

So it includes a pilot, would people say it’s minifig scale? Looks smaller than the last UCS Y-Wing to me. I’m happy with my Rogue One version, and I’m not a biggest fan of the ship in general, however having minifig scale versions of the A-Wing, X-Wing, Falcon and Y-wing would be amazing! (Just need a true minifig scale B-Wing!)

26 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

So it includes a pilot, would people say it’s minifig scale? Looks smaller than the last UCS Y-Wing to me. I’m happy with my Rogue One version, and I’m not a biggest fan of the ship in general, however having minifig scale versions of the A-Wing, X-Wing, Falcon and Y-wing would be amazing! (Just need a true minifig scale B-Wing!)

I think it’s a little bigger than minifig scale iirc. I’m pretty sure the real one should be as long as the Slave I 

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

I think the silhouette was actually correct. I mean, if you look at the forward section of the Y wing, it's triangular in shape, turn the guns perpendicular to the direction of the y wing, and then make it all shady, there you have your mistaken ISD silhouette.  

TLG must has be given us teh cluez all along!!1! :laugh:

Can’t believe I missed it. I feel so stoopid! 

Looks like there's a pilot in the cockpit, and the droid is definitely in the socket, but like the last y wing and x wings it's too big for them, so it's not minifig scale. Also disappointing to see stickers on the nose of the ship.

Still day one purchase. Hopefully this doesn't affect the price of Red 5 from 2013 cause I still need that.

37 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Aren't most OT starfighters close to minifig scale? How off are they?

I think most system scale sets are close to minifig scale. Snowspeeders are really close. I’d guess the X-Wing that’s coming will be very close. That’s the reason I’m actually about to sell my Red Five. I’d prefer things closer to minifig scale to sit with the UCS Falcon and Slave 1.

Edited by Robianco

The set is undeniably great looking but releasing UCS sets on things we've already gotten in the past really makes it difficult for me to muster much interest when I can think of at least 10 other craft that have yet to get the UCS treatment and would be great additions. It also doesn't help that I'm generally not a big fan of the OT Rebel vehicle and pilot designs(outside of the A-Wing). Ah well, easy pass fort me. A UCS A-Wing would have been tempting for sure. I look forward to seeing how this new design compares with the old UCS.

1 hour ago, ToaDraco said:

The set is undeniably great looking but releasing UCS sets on things we've already gotten in the past really makes it difficult for me to muster much interest when I can think of at least 10 other craft that have yet to get the UCS treatment and would be great additions. It also doesn't help that I'm generally not a big fan of the OT Rebel vehicle and pilot designs(outside of the A-Wing). Ah well, easy pass fort me. A UCS A-Wing would have been tempting for sure. I look forward to seeing how this new design compares with the old UCS.

A-Wing is overdue. The Y-Wing was the 1 I was really holding out hope for when it comes to a remake. Now I got it, I’ve really started to feel the whole “I want something new” thing. The A-Wing, TIE Bomber and the AT-AT are the 3 biggest ones that really need one 

4 hours ago, Whovastron said:

Earlier I was trying to figure this out. I couldn’t find the measurements of the original Y-wing, but from pictures  of it with the X-wing, I figure it’s roughly 20” long. A minifigure scaled set that we can compare it to is the recent UCS Falcon. It’s measured 33” long. Compared to measurements from Wookieepedia, I think I can say that the new Y-wing model is close to minifigure scale. That is if it’s similar to the original. Hopefully we’ll get official measurements soon.

2 hours ago, Peppybricks said:

Earlier I was trying to figure this out. I couldn’t find the measurements of the original Y-wing, but from pictures  of it with the X-wing, I figure it’s roughly 20” long. A minifigure scaled set that we can compare it to is the recent UCS Falcon. It’s measured 33” long. Compared to measurements from Wookieepedia, I think I can say that the new Y-wing model is close to minifigure scale. That is if it’s similar to the original. Hopefully we’ll get official measurements soon.

Exactly. The Y-Wing is noticeably larger than an X-Wing. While this new set is probably a little too big, it is close enough to the point where it’s literally advertised with a figure in the cockpit. If it was THAT out of scale, I don’t think they would’ve done that 

It's a tad big for true minifigure scale. 

The dome caps of the engines are as wide as a person standing. 

It should be quite a wee bit smaller.

But It looks really good and if you're ready to make conceits to sizing, which we all do with system scale, it's not that big a deal.

It may only look out of place next to system scale sets. 

Edited by Forresto

I think it is probably Minifigure scale, but according to measurements provided to Lego. In my opinion the Falcon is sligtly larger than minifig scale, but I think it treats the minifigs as shorter than actual people, rather than accurate height of real people. I think the same system is employed here. It is Minifigure scale, but treating the minifigures as smaller than an actual person.

remember with Slave 1 there is some conjecture over the size. Some people say it’s as big as the falcon, whilst Lego used original information from The Empire Strikes Back, the same is probably true with this ship

30 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

I think it is probably Minifigure scale, but according to measurements provided to Lego. In my opinion the Falcon is sligtly larger than minifig scale, but I think it treats the minifigs as shorter than actual people, rather than accurate height of real people. I think the same system is employed here. It is Minifigure scale, but treating the minifigures as smaller than an actual person.

remember with Slave 1 there is some conjecture over the size. Some people say it’s as big as the falcon, whilst Lego used original information from The Empire Strikes Back, the same is probably true with this ship

It’s not. The Falcon is 34m long while the Slave I is 21m long. The whole confusion with that was that the original ucs falcon plaque said 28m on it. The Slave is slightly below minifig scale but it doesn’t look too out of place 

11 minutes ago, RogueRecon said:

It’s not. The Falcon is 34m long while the Slave I is 21m long. The whole confusion with that was that the original ucs falcon plaque said 28m on it. The Slave is slightly below minifig scale but it doesn’t look too out of place 

I know it’s not as big as the falcon. I was simply saying some people believe it is. And that plaque wasn’t the sole source of confusion. There are many other products that depict it as very close to the size of the falcon, such as Star Wars Battlefront. Even in Attack of the Clones, the cockpit is shown to be a lot bigger than it should be, making the overal ship appear bigger. The UCS Slave 1 is Minifigure scale, based on the information provided by Lucasfilm, and images depicting characters next to it from Empire Strikes Back.

20 hours ago, RetroInferno said:

Please be a fully printed canopy piece, please be a fully printed canopy piece.

It’s the same canopy piece as in the Rogue One Y-Wing so it will be printed

10 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Same, I was unimpressed... There are plenty of others they could before this set.

Minifigure scale is a difficult thing to work out accurately as minifigures aren't to scale with regular humans. 

This set does look great, if it scales well to the X-Wing, A-Wing and Falcon it’s definitly a day 1 purchase for me. But I can’t help but be disappointed at another repeat.

the Falcon made sense, it’s posisbly the most infamous UCS set and the most sought after, and it was a 10th anniversary of its release. But the Snowspeeder and this just don’t make much sense, wouldn’t a repeat of the ISD or Blockade Runner make more sense?

anyway, with all these repeats, I hope for the Tydirium again