MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

There have been 27 UCS sets so far. Only 3 of which include a minifigure with arm printing. There wasn’t arm printing in the recent Falcon, Death Star or Hoth either, some of the most recent sets. Of course it is disappointing that Vander does not have the added detail, but I don’t think it’s earth shattering. I also don’t think we should expect arm printing, based on Star Wars’ history with the detail. Plus, you can easily get printed arms from 3rd party sellers. 

51 minutes ago, Peppybricks said:

There have been 27 UCS sets so far. Only 3 of which include a minifigure with arm printing. There wasn’t arm printing in the recent Falcon, Death Star or Hoth either, some of the most recent sets.

They are all minifigure heavy sets though which included various exclusive figs - the other 3 sets which you mention are the more recent sets that have tended to only include 1-3 figs (Slave / TIE / Snow), so the recent trend for minifigure light UCS sets has been to add these additional details - especially evident with Boba and subsequent releases in smaller sets that didn't include arm printing.

I agree it's not earth shattering but as has been discussed recently on (I think) this thread, the premium price Lego charges for its ABS, I think it's a fair expectation to want premium printing on occasion.

52 minutes ago, ThousandMoon said:

I think it's a fair expectation to want premium printing on occasion.

Although I have the same expectation, to be honest I don't understand the dynamics of printing with Lego. For instance, the 5004406-1 polybag with the FO general had arm printing, but it wasn't even shown in the polybag photo. That was a good surprise for me when I got one. 

Batman minifigs, Ninjago minifigs and general minifig bags, for instance, get much better lateral printing (not only arms) and double molding, something unseen in Star Wars sets. I doubt licensing has something to do with printing differences, as minifig bags are cheap. Given the price they charge for sets with too few minifigs, adding additional printing to them would not make a noticeable cost difference.

Edited by dvogon

The whole issue of SW figures not getting as detailed printing as some other franchises is certainly frustrating, but I think the glaring issue here is that Lego set a precedent when they put arm printing on Zev and Will. Why would they then omit this detail from Vander's print? It's not like they have to make a new mold or anything so it then feels like it's just cutting corners to maximise profits on an expensive set.

3 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I can't find it. Even on ebay.

Just search Lego Y Wing Pilot. :)

8 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

The whole issue of SW figures not getting as detailed printing as some other franchises is certainly frustrating, but I think the glaring issue here is that Lego set a precedent when they put arm printing on Zev and Will. Why would they then omit this detail from Vander's print? It's not like they have to make a new mold or anything so it then feels like it's just cutting corners to maximise profits on an expensive set.

Just search Lego Y Wing Pilot. :)

I couldn’t find anything 

13 hours ago, Theemp1re said:

It is frustrating to not get arm printing considering Shocker who appeared in a $40 Marvel Super Heroes set got arm printing and a $200 Star Wars set can’t 

Keychain’s (Catwoman etc.) sport more printing too.

I think it’s not unreasonable to expect the figures in super expensive sets to be the very best lego’s technology can deliver.

23 hours ago, Theemp1re said:

It is frustrating to not get arm printing considering Shocker who appeared in a $40 Marvel Super Heroes set got arm printing and a $200 Star Wars set can’t 

Shocker was a second villain in the movie, and he was one of the characters that really needs arm printing.

15 minutes ago, Sir von Lego said:

Who will and when will someone post actual info for the first page in our “fact thread”? There are missing prices, pictures, even wrong minifig listings..

greetings

Sir von Lego, seeing as you are a well-established source of great information, and you know that the minifig listings are wrong, would you be able to update it a little bit?  I'm not being sarcastic; I think it's fair to say that anything you are allowed to share with us would be genuinely appreciated by all.  Thanks in advance, and if nothing else, maybe now you'll convince someone else to update it.  I'm sure people have the information, but I understand if there are consequences of sharing it.  :classic:

Also, this next question can go to anyone.  I think I asked it a few months ago, and I apologize if I'm repeating myself or others: Is it fully confirmed that we're getting Biggs and not Red Leader in the X-Wing set?  The other thread only mentions the fact that it might be Biggs's astromech in the set.  So I'm assuming that there were only stand-in figures at the Toy Fairs?  Or has the summer wave not even been viewed in person by anyone outside of TLG at this point?

Finally, unrelated to future releases but still pertaining to 2018 sets: to those still on the fence, I can't recommend the new Cantina highly enough.  It complements the 2014 version quite nicely, with only a little bit of modding necessary.  Also, the new Greedo figure is vastly superior to the old one, which looked unfinished.  Wuher is nice, and one can never have enough Sandtroopers or new Han hair pieces.  :grin:  The main reason I think it's worth it, though, is that the build isn't terrible.  It's tiny and compact, yes, but it really looks and feels like the Cantina (and the "U-brick-ian").   Unlike, say, the Yoda's Hut set, which will be hella fun (as long as there are no seagulls), but doesn't really look at all like Yoda's Hut.

23 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Unlike, say, the Yoda's Hut set, which will be hella fun (as long as there are no seagulls), but doesn't really look at all like Yoda's Hut.

But he can be Luke's backpack while he runs. :wink: 

1 hour ago, RogueTwo said:

Sir von Lego, seeing as you are a well-established source of great information, and you know that the minifig listings are wrong, would you be able to update it a little bit?  I'm not being sarcastic; I think it's fair to say that anything you are allowed to share with us would be genuinely appreciated by all.  Thanks in advance, and if nothing else, maybe now you'll convince someone else to update it.  I'm sure people have the information, but I understand if there are consequences of sharing it.  :classic:

Also, this next question can go to anyone.  I think I asked it a few months ago, and I apologize if I'm repeating myself or others: Is it fully confirmed that we're getting Biggs and not Red Leader in the X-Wing set?  The other thread only mentions the fact that it might be Biggs's astromech in the set.  So I'm assuming that there were only stand-in figures at the Toy Fairs?  Or has the summer wave not even been viewed in person by anyone outside of TLG at this point?

Don't think SvL has access to change it, or else he would.

Secondly, I believe the rumour is perpetrated mostly because the prelim had a silver-looking astromech. People assumed. And this was evident when Jon Vander and R2-BHD leaked and everyone assumed it was part of the X-Wing.

2 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

Finally, unrelated to future releases but still pertaining to 2018 sets: to those still on the fence, I can't recommend the new Cantina highly enough.  It complements the 2014 version quite nicely, with only a little bit of modding necessary.  Also, the new Greedo figure is vastly superior to the old one, which looked unfinished.  Wuher is nice, and one can never have enough Sandtroopers or new Han hair pieces.  :grin:  The main reason I think it's worth it, though, is that the build isn't terrible.  It's tiny and compact, yes, but it really looks and feels like the Cantina (and the "U-brick-ian").   Unlike, say, the Yoda's Hut set, which will be hella fun (as long as there are no seagulls), but doesn't really look at all like Yoda's Hut.

I have both the new Cantina and the 2014 version and the older version is miles better - it actually looks like a finished model and can be "folded up" to look like the exterior of the cantina whereas the new one is literally three vignettes stuck together on joints.2014 also comes with a dewback and a landspeeder. The Greedo figure is slightly better in the new version but hardly worth the upgrade on that basis alone. The Ubrikkian 9000 is a nice enough model but rather oversized compared to the movie version and almost dwarfs the Cantina when placed next to it.

One thing both lacks is a host of interesting/weird/bizarre aliens to populate them. I hope TLG puts out a battlepack ala the Bounty Hunter battlepack to address this at some stage (a similar one for Jabba's Palace would also be great).

2 hours ago, starwars4ever said:

What is your source? Have you seen it?

His source is me; I sent images of the polybag to him, and gave him as well as a few other pernission to post them online. They're coming around.

"30381 Imperial TIE Fighter"

2 hours ago, ARIEL-1970 said:

ANyone have an idea what the May the force special figure will be?I Loved the scariff trooper that came out last year.

Me personelly, I would be fine with DJ Code breaker

2 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

Me personelly, I would be fine with DJ Code breaker

I don't think it will be DJ, since he's already been released as a retail exclusive. If it was him, I think a lot of people would get heated (myself included).

For those of us that live in the UK, it looks like we are getting the DJ minifig in a promotion with Tesco. The number 40298 has appeared on Tesco's database along with GWP in the description, which I can only assume means Gift With Purchase. I have no dates or any other info on how it will work but as soon as I hear or see anything I will let you guys know. I would personally assume it will have something to do with the Solo releases or May 4th. Might be a promo pick up that was due to go to Toys'R'Us but has been giving to Tesco due to recent events.