MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

16 minutes ago, LEGOscum said:

Except for two things:

1) the original UCS Y-wing came with an astromech droid, so it was only a fraction off minifig scale
2) the re-tooled UCS Snowspeeder had two minfigs with it, even though it was more Scala scale than minifig.

10240 Red Five comes with an astromech. It’s not minifig scale. Not even close. Having that droid come with the set is no indication of anything other than the fact they haven’t got a correctly scaled astromech for UCS sets.

Snowspeeders have a Pilot and a Gunner so they gave both figures. That’s not to say they won’t put two figures with the Y-Wing. But I don’t think it’ll be Biggs.

Dutch Vander is coming in the Y-Wing. Helmet is very similar to the old one but with grey side panels printed too (at least some stripes to flesh out the grey areas). 

We already know we’re getting two figures with the X-Wing along with two astromechs. Why would anyone think Biggs would be the figure with the Y-Wing?

And we’ll actually get a third X-Wing Pilot with Antoc Merrick in the advent calendar. There’s no reason to put X-Wing Pilots with Y-Wings.

11 hours ago, Legliss said:

I'm 99% sure the Lego figure that was leaked claiming to be included in the rumored USC Y wing is indeed Biggs, as the helmet matches to the one used for Biggs in ANH as well as the leaked astromech looks like R2-Q2. 

R2-BHD. R2-Q2 is Bigg's droid. The only leaked helmet I know about was Gold Leader's.

10 minutes ago, atlas said:

Where are these leaked figures appearing? I can't find them.

Look at the site that is Rebellious and Scummy.

1 hour ago, Robianco said:
1 hour ago, Robianco said:

Dutch Vander is coming in the Y-Wing. Helmet is very similar to the old one but with grey side panels printed too (at least some stripes to flesh out the grey areas). 

Sorry, I meant to include this in my last reply but I can't work out how to add a quote to an existing message.

I misread your initial post.I thought you said that we wouldn't get a minifig with the alleged UCS Y-wing.

2 hours ago, LEGOscum said:

Except for two things:

1) the original UCS Y-wing came with an astromech droid, so it was only a fraction off minifig scale
2) the re-tooled UCS Snowspeeder had two minfigs with it, even though it was more Scala scale than minifig.

What is scala scale? The snowspeeder to me does look a little too big mind you. 

I think people are getting hung up on why minifigs are included in UCS display sets and what they mean. For sets that aren’t minifig scale (i.e. accurately scaled up in relation to the size of the minifigure) they’re just there as little extras for display purposes... Batman and Joker with the Tumbler, Senesca and Scotian with the Snowspeeder, The five figure display stand with the Hellicarrier... Lego know we love figures so add something to the package.

Star Wars UCS sets haven’t always been plentiful with these things... Red Five had a standard R2, B-Wing didn’t have anything, TIE just had printed arms etc.

I personally think it would be a shame if we just got Dutch when it would have been a great opportunity to give us Gold Five but I can see the display stand just having Dutch in one end and his astromech on the other. It’s the same as the X-Wing later in the year... Dreis would have been great but it seems like we’re getting Biggs to go with the inevitable Luke.

Edited by Robianco

Of the ten pilots in ANH (Red leader, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, Gold Leader, 2, 5) we've never had Red Leader (Garvan Dreiss), Red 4 (John D. Branon), Gold 2 (Dex Tiree) or Gold 5 (Pops Krail) released. Biggs has only been in the first X-Wing so far.

A deciding factor for John D. Branon not coming out, aside from being the least prominent is he has an R4 astromech which Lego does not currently have a mold for.

Am I right in saying Gold Leader shares his helmet with Hobbie, Grizz Frix and the female pilot from Rogue One, or are there subtle differences?

John Brannon's helmet is in the Sandspeeder set, Dex Tiree's helmet is pretty much the grey rebel helmet with the red emblems from the Snowspeeder Microfighter, even down to the shadows under the emblems, it just doesn't have the three German colour stripes at the very top of the helmet (and the fact the helmet is grey rather than white but you could just argue that they're all dirty anyway so it doesn't matter).

Dutch's helmet does look pretty identical to Hobbie's, Grizz's etc.

Red Leader is the glaring omission along with Krail. Red Leader's helmet was actually used on a Snowspeeder pilot in ESB too but we only got to see him in the briefing.

We're basically missing these two helmets:

Missing Lego Rebel Helmets

Although some level of detail on the more recent helmets especially on the side areas are missing form the older helmets.

Blue Squadron is a real mix of older helmets and we've already got quite a few. Nice to get Merrick's later in the year too.

17 minutes ago, Robianco said:

John Brannon's helmet is in the Sandspeeder set, Dex Tiree's helmet is pretty much the grey rebel helmet with the red emblems from the Snowspeeder Microfighter, even down to the shadows under the emblems, it just doesn't have the three German colour stripes at the very top of the helmet (and the fact the helmet is grey rather than white but you could just argue that they're all dirty anyway so it doesn't matter).

Dutch's helmet does look pretty identical to Hobbie's, Grizz's etc.

Red Leader is the glaring omission along with Krail. Red Leader's helmet was actually used on a Snowspeeder pilot in ESB too but we only got to see him in the briefing.

Red Leaders is also in the Home One seen in RotJ, although I can't remember if it appears onscreen or just in stills from production.

I didn't notice the sandspeeder helmet, I must get my hands on one!

Also, would I be right in saying that Keir Sandage shares a helmet with Wedge?

26 minutes ago, Seaber said:

Red Leaders is also in the Home One seen in RotJ, although I can't remember if it appears onscreen or just in stills from production.

I didn't notice the sandspeeder helmet, I must get my hands on one!

Also, would I be right in saying that Keir Sandage shares a helmet with Wedge?

It certainly looks like it. Both my Snowspeeder and X-Wing Wedge figures now have the dark green version from the UCS Hoth set so my old grey one is on Santage. I need a moustache pilot head though for him. Maybe pick up a spare Merrick for him.

Actually DIdn't someone on the updated figure thread edit an Aragorn head for Santage?

Edited by Robianco

23 minutes ago, Robianco said:

It certainly looks like it. Both my Snowspeeder and X-Wing Wedge figures now have the dark green version from the UCS Hoth set so my old grey one is on Santage. I need a moustache pilot head though for him. Maybe pick up a spare Merrick for him.

Actually DIdn't someone on the updated figure thread edit an Aragorn head for Santage?

That's my plan for Sandage too. Looking through the Rogue One Visual Guide, Gold Leader, Blue Three and Blue Seven all have the grey squares design variant, along with Hobbie and Frix sharing Gold Leader's. If a new Gold Leader is forthcoming then that will be the fourth version of the helmet.

If the X-Wing does indeed have Biggs, his mustachioed face will also be useful for Harb Binli and Ralo Surrel from Rogue One, with both their helmets available (Dak and Biggs respectively). 

Since Biggs is an iconic character, I wouldn’t be surprised if he like Porkins gets a special face print to show off his mustache

29 minutes ago, Seaber said:

That's my plan for Sandage too. Looking through the Rogue One Visual Guide, Gold Leader, Blue Three and Blue Seven all have the grey squares design variant, along with Hobbie and Frix sharing Gold Leader's. If a new Gold Leader is forthcoming then that will be the fourth version of the helmet.

If the X-Wing does indeed have Biggs, his mustachioed face will also be useful for Harb Binli and Ralo Surrel from Rogue One, with both their helmets available (Dak and Biggs respectively). 

It gets very silly. There's so many repeats of hero helmets... and with lots of RO pilots having moustaches a Surrel and Biggs figure would look identical as they both had orange jumpsuits. I've seen images of Surrel holding Janson's helmet. The image on Wookiepedia shows Biggs helmet but it's actually cropped where the pilot in front of him (Wion Dillems) is holding it. Even so Dillems also has a 'tache! Seeing as this was based out of Yavin around two or three days before the Battle of Yavin I'd assume Biggs was there and he's have that helmet too. That's when it all starts getting very silly with them being 'hero' helmets as one offs... yet they now have multiples in the same base at the same time wearing them. I actually already have an X-Wing pilot with Janson's helmet so maybe if I change the head to a moustache head that'll do for that as a variation.

This is all getting far from set discussion though. With regards to what's actually coming There's a Dutch Vander and an Antoc Merrick that are definitely on the way. The initial box art for the X-Wing indicated that it's a Biggs minifigure and I think there's been some astromech link to it probably being him. I've not heard about any second figure with the Y-Wing and I don't know who is in the X-Wing but one would normally assume it would be Luke from a toy selling perspective.

Just some input:

Ralo Surrel's helmet is red and dark grey, versus Hanson's red and biege (or white). I haven't considered Surrel's helmet as released.

I believe Keir Santage has the same helmet as Zev Senesca. 

And Jaldine Gerams doesn't have the same helmet as Gold Leader, her helmet colour is blue, same pattern though.

14 hours ago, Robianco said:

The leaked Biggs is from the system scale X-Wing coming out later this year. I don’t see them putting an X-Wing Pilot with a UCS Y-Wing. Dutch Vander is the figure with the Y-Wing. If we get a second figure with it it’ll be a Y-Wing Pilot. I’d love a second X-Wing Pilot with the system scale set to be Garvey Dreis but it’ll probably be Luke again. At least we’ll have Antoc Merrick from the calendar to fly an X-Wing too.

My mistake on the way I worded that. When I stated Biggs, I thought I was implying that he would be included in the X Wing. That being said, very excited for General Merrick!

Edited by Legliss
Additional information

58 minutes ago, Legliss said:

My mistake on the way I worded that. When I stated Biggs, I thought I was implying that he would be included in the X Wing. That being said, very excited for General Merrick!

Worry not. I’m really looking forward to that figure too. There’s only a couple of sets I picking up this year but I’m genuinely excited to get that figure.

5 hours ago, Theemp1re said:

Since Biggs is an iconic character, I wouldn’t be surprised if he like Porkins gets a special face print to show off his mustache

If he wouldn't get it, that would be really bad...

6 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

If he wouldn't get it, that would be really bad...

If I'm not mistaken, the leaked figure that I saw was just a generic rebel face...hopefully that won't be the case

Just now, Legliss said:

If I'm not mistaken, the leaked figure that I saw was just a generic rebel face...hopefully that won't be the case

Hopefully...

13 hours ago, ARIEL-1970 said:

What is scala scale? The snowspeeder to me does look a little too big mind you. 

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Scala

I was joking though. It was my poor way of making the point that the snowspeeder is to oversized for a minifig.

A number of people have suggested that a Technics figure (http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/TECHNIC_Figure) would be a closer fit but I haven't seen anyone follow this up.

Sorry to ask an annoying question, but since we didn't get a look at summer sets at the NYTF this year, is there a usual period of time when decent resolution pictures of summer wave sets leak every year?

Sort of related, I've not seen it mentioned yet, but over on Reddit there's set leaks from the Solo movie, showing both Solos' and Moloks' speeders, and the speeder from the patrol trooper battle back as well as the costume for the Patrol trooper.

From these I think all of the speeders have been really well captured in Lego form, only the depth of solos speeder is a little off but it can only be made so thin.

Really excited for the Patrol trooper and his speeder!

Also I didn't want to post pictures in case there's some copyright or anything but a quick google search will bring them out

12 minutes ago, Glassjaw said:

Sort of related, I've not seen it mentioned yet, but over on Reddit there's set leaks from the Solo movie, showing both Solos' and Moloks' speeders, and the speeder from the patrol trooper battle back as well as the costume for the Patrol trooper.

From these I think all of the speeders have been really well captured in Lego form, only the depth of solos speeder is a little off but it can only be made so thin.

Really excited for the Patrol trooper and his speeder!

Also I didn't want to post pictures in case there's some copyright or anything but a quick google search will bring them out

those high-res images have been floating around and talked about here since the first week of january ...

i got bored this weekend and reverse engineered the patrol speeder - and ordered the parts to build a couple ... and you can find the patrol trooper and many other solo figs for sale already ... 

Edited by Tidy
flatting wasn't what i typed ... :-/

4 minutes ago, Tidy said:

those high-res images have been floating around and talked about here since the first week of january ...

i got bored this weekend and reverse engineered the patrol speeder - and ordered the parts to build a couple ... and you can find the patrol trooper and many other solo figs for sale already ... 

Apologies, I haven't made it that far back in this thread.

Any images or working shots of the speeders you've built?

2 minutes ago, Glassjaw said:

Apologies, I haven't made it that far back in this thread.

Any images or working shots of the speeders you've built?

no worries, there's a boatload of fluff in here and occasionally the good stuff gets buried ...

if i knew how to attach crap here i would, but alas i am eurobricks challenged.  pm your email addy and i can send it ...