MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

1 hour ago, Cyberfounder said:
1 hour ago, Cyberfounder said:

Wasnt there a rumor about a new Y-Wing which people are saying will be a new BTL-B Y-Wing, if so then a V19 would make sense.

I think the Y-Wing rumour was of the May UCS set

2 hours ago, Cyberfounder said:

Wasnt there a rumor about a new Y-Wing which people are saying will be a new BTL-B Y-Wing, if so then a V19 would make sense.

I don't think we are going to be getting a new Y-Wing anytime soon considering one came out last year

1 hour ago, Brickwraith said:

I don't think we are going to be getting a new Y-Wing anytime soon considering one came out last year

UCS Sets seem to have no direct correlation with regular wave sets.

Example, the UCS X-wing was released when the 2012 X-wing was still on shelves. 

3 hours ago, Brickwraith said:

This is the clone wars version, not the OT version. :wink:

Would love to see the Clone Wars era Y-Wing rereleased as well.  I’ve always doubted that sets like that would ever be more than a one off because the prequel trilogy is so widely hated by fans...  and it’s a ship that doesn’t appear anywhere in the actual movies.  But, LEGO has surprised me before with Clone Wars sets so I guess there’s always hope.

1 hour ago, Skyhammer said:

I’ve always doubted that sets like that would ever be more than a one off because the prequel trilogy is so widely hated by fans...

You’d be surprised by how many of us there are that love the prequels

2 hours ago, Skyhammer said:

the prequel trilogy is so widely hated by fans...  

It's treason, then. But actually I love the ship design from the PT, I think it has the best ships in the whole saga and I wish LEGO would do more UCS from that era

There were definitely some cringe moments in each of the three prequels, but on average, they improved from one movie to the next. And in retrospect, the prequels have a lot going for them that wasn't really appreciated at the time. Seeing how boring and derivative the designs from the sequel trilogy are, you really start to appreciate George's influence over the design work in the prequels. Some of the Separatist ships got a bit dicey in Episode 3 (owing largely to Doug Chang's departure) but there were still so many original, varied, and inspired ship designs in those movies.

And, George did a really amazing job crafting an intricate story showing how a republic that had survived for ages could be completely undone by little more than a populist leader with fascist ambitions and a manufactured conflict... while also showing how a hero can devolve into a villain despite the best of intentions. By comparison, I wish these new movies felt less like they were being dreamed up as they go along, and more like there was an actual story arc for the trilogy...

5 hours ago, jdubbs said:

There were definitely some cringe moments in each of the three prequels, but on average, they improved from one movie to the next. And in retrospect, the prequels have a lot going for them that wasn't really appreciated at the time. Seeing how boring and derivative the designs from the sequel trilogy are, you really start to appreciate George's influence over the design work in the prequels. Some of the Separatist ships got a bit dicey in Episode 3 (owing largely to Doug Chang's departure) but there were still so many original, varied, and inspired ship designs in those movies.

And, George did a really amazing job crafting an intricate story showing how a republic that had survived for ages could be completely undone by little more than a populist leader with fascist ambitions and a manufactured conflict... while also showing how a hero can devolve into a villain despite the best of intentions. By comparison, I wish these new movies felt less like they were being dreamed up as they go along, and more like there was an actual story arc for the trilogy...

I believe Mr. Plinkett said it best when referring to the lack of story, characters, tone and emotional depth of the prequels: "There are those that know what I'm talking about and those that like the prequel trilogy."

18 hours ago, Forresto said:

I thought the SSD was the rumor for the next UCS?

Was that fake?

There was never any legitimate backing to that UCS kit wish.

75181 is what we think to be the May UCS; 75222 is what we think to be the September/October UCS.

9 hours ago, Brickweiser said:

I believe Mr. Plinkett said it best when referring to the lack of story, characters, tone and emotional depth of the prequels: "There are those that know what I'm talking about and those that like the prequel trilogy."

Well let's not get into it but there's a difference between plot and story. The plot is what we got (the sequence of shots from start to end) the story is why we got it. 

The plot of the prequels is undebatably rough. The story is brilliant just executed shoddily. 

Edit: I got no sleep last night so I may have flipped the terms :blush:

4 hours ago, Azani said:

75181 is what we think to be the May UCS; 75222 is what we think to be the September/October UCS.

Ahhh good to know. That's too bad then.

Edited by Forresto

15 hours ago, Bartybum said:

You’d be surprised by how many of us there are that love the prequels

I’ve always been surprised by the amount of backlash they get.  I love the prequels, even Episode I save for Jar Jar.  Episode II is my all time favorite film.  Yes, I’m aware of all the criticisms and agree with many of them.

As far as future set designs and UCS sets go, I do wish they would give the prequels more serious attention like LEGO did with the Summer 2013 and Winter 2014 waves.  What a year that was.  Complete redemption after all the years of the cheaply designed and cartoon looking “The Clone Wars” sets.  Hoping with the release of the V-19 this year and if the minifigs continue to be based off their movie or “real world” counterparts, we’ll continue to see a nice trend with prequel era sets, like the Y-Wing.

Edited by Skyhammer

Hello everyone!

Guys, did you see this little hint for the next UCS model on Brickset's bricklist by designer Jordan Scott?

https://brickset.com/sets/list-19942

75153: AT-ST Walker

As I left Star Wars to work on another project, this was the last retail model I worked on. The next UCS for 2018 will be coming soon which I worked on and am excited to see the reaction of the public!

I think he refers to the long awaited Cloud City / Bespin set. Honestly, what else could be?

Edited by Anak

I really enjoy seeing these self-composed lists from designers. I sometimes like to point out to others which sets in my collection were designed by the same designers.

16 hours ago, Azani said:

So the rumored sets are the Y-wing and Cloud City, but which number belongs to which set? Is that known information?

7 hours ago, Anak said:

Hello everyone!

Guys, did you see this little hint for the next UCS model on Brickset's bricklist by designer Jordan Scott?

https://brickset.com/sets/list-19942

75153: AT-ST Walker

As I left Star Wars to work on another project, this was the last retail model I worked on. The next UCS for 2018 will be coming soon which I worked on and am excited to see the reaction of the public!

I think he refers to the long awaited Cloud City / Bespin set. Honestly, what else could be?

Thanks for posting this. I don’t think it is a confirmation of what the set could be. It does confirm that Jordan Scott is the designer for a 2018 UCS. Having said that, his list of work is encouraging. Pretty much all of those sets were/are favorites of mine! Such well designed builds that were a perfect balance of “displayability” and “playability”. Hopefully this means big things for what is coming!

Definitely not a confirmation. He could have worked on anything.

Seriously... even posts like that get picked up in by a blog who quote it as confirmation, that then gets picked up elsewhere and before we know it well known and supposedly well informed forums comment that a certain set is now confirmed, and right at the end they’ll state the source as an EB member.

Before anybody else mentions that Cloud City is on the background of the Falcon box and the Falcon was on the DS box... the Snowspeeder was the next UCS set, not the Falcon, so it’s no indicator of what’s next.

Cloud City might be coming. An SSD might be coming. But nobody knows yet... though I’ll bet they won’t be the next set in May anyway as that set actually has been indicated by several people.

The designer video lip-read seems to be the only remotely solid indication that a Cloud City is coming at some point. Every other mention of it had been guesswork and wishlisting, same as the SD or SSD as it is a silhouette somewhere. These things get picked up on as ‘confirmation’.

The term ‘rumour’ has always been contentious for me. For a rumour to have any grounds for serious discussion it should have a reliable source, but those waters have been muddies for years and people can start their own rumour with a wishlist and just wait for it to circulate through Reddit or various boards before it pops back up here as something with apparently more foundation than it deserves.

Can we stop saying something is confirmed if it isn’t.

4 hours ago, thorin said:

Thanks for posting this. I don’t think it is a confirmation of what the set could be. It does confirm that Jordan Scott is the designer for a 2018 UCS. Having said that, his list of work is encouraging. Pretty much all of those sets were/are favorites of mine! Such well designed builds that were a perfect balance of “displayability” and “playability”. Hopefully this means big things for what is coming!

Well, the perfect balance for a UCS set is 100% displayability and 0% playability (unless you count functions like an x-wing wing mechanism, for example, as a play feature). Having said that Jordan Scott has definitely designed some nice looking models and I totally trust that whatever he did will be great.

Edited by Magmafrost

11 hours ago, Peppybricks said:

So the rumored sets are the Y-wing and Cloud City, but which number belongs to which set? Is that known information?

Just off of the wholesale retailer sites, we do not; however, I would guess that 75222 is not a Y-Wing.

75181 is around $200 US, while 75222 is around $550 US.

11 minutes ago, Azani said:

Just off of the wholesale retailer sites, we do not; however, I would guess that 75222 is not a Y-Wing.

75181 is around $200 US, while 75222 is around $550 US.

Thanks. I’m hoping the Y-wing rumor is true, since it is one of my favorite OT vehicles. I don’t really care too much about Cloud City personally.

On 1/26/2018 at 10:38 PM, Brickweiser said:

Don't mistake my comments for praise of the prequels' characters, tone, or emotional depth. On those points, the prequels miss the mark by a wide margin. I just think, in retrospect, that If George succeeded in one area (other than design/visuals), it was in building an arc across three movies that very deliberately took us from A to B, when the gulf between A and B was a pretty deep chasm to cross.

The interviews I've read with Rian and JJ make it clear that there is no underlying arc to these three new movies... JJ didn't have a plan for 8 or 9; he just passed the ball to whomever was next and said, "here, see what you can do with this." Rian did the same thing. The only plan was "7 is to introduce the characters; 8 is to stress-test the characters, 9 is to... (redeem them? we'll see)." Pretty basic stuff. On the other hand, the new movies succeed in all the areas the prequels didn't... character development, chemistry, humor (for the most part), empathy and emotional resonance... each of these two trilogies seems to fail where the other succeeds, almost yin and yang.

Bringing it back to LEGO, I think part of the motivation to plow through all of the TFA ships/designs so quickly was a sense that there is this narrow window when these sets are actually going to appeal to buyers. I have a hard time seeing many of the sequel trilogy sets being reissued over and over like the classic/prequel trilogy sets are... in terms of design, there's just not the same fertile ground in these movies that there was in the others.

10 minutes ago, Peppybricks said:

Thanks. I’m hoping the Y-wing rumor is true, since it is one of my favorite OT vehicles. I don’t really care too much about Cloud City personally.

I've yet to see anything to substantiate rumors of a Y-Wing. I've yet to see anything that actually qualifies as a rumor of a Y-Wing, for that matter. The first I read of it, someone on EB started talking ~3 months ago about how much they hoped we were getting another UCS Y-Wing... which led to a few more people saying the same thing, and that somehow got morphed into a rumor which got picked up elsewhere and then started showing up in YouTube videos (none of which seem to mention any kind of source) and now everyone is treating it as accepted fact. Maybe it's all true — the previous UCS Y-Wing was a long time ago — but I would love for someone with some actual insight to either lend credence to this, or refute it.

I’ve heard directly from a very reliable source that it’s coming. They were right about other things coming out too. They’re not very vocal and leaky about things and I’m certainly not a leaker but if they think it’s coming then it is as far as I’m concerned. If it isn’t then the release schedule has changed. I’ve also had one person on a Facebook group discussion who was as unshakeable about the next UCS release being a Y-Wing and confirmed what I’d heard without me even mentioning it.

Edited by Robianco

When people started talking and speculating about Y-Wing and Cloud City? We don't know anything about it, we don't even know if this rumor is true...

1 minute ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

When people started talking and speculating about Y-Wing and Cloud City? We don't know anything about it, we don't even know if this rumor is true...

Cloud City is total guesswork. Y-Wing is rumour based on source.