MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

Brickshow has been reliable of late... they seem to have developed a new source from which they obtained advance photos for a few lines of sets. 

That said, this leak doesn't appear to be from the same source. It sounds like the set descriptions (only, not photos) were sent anonymously to both Rebel Scum and Brickshow (or one of them, and the other cut-and-pasted). The information posted on both sites was near-identical, and neither site mentioned seeing the sets themselves.

Most of what I've seen Rebel Scum post about LEGO has appeared elsewhere first, so I don't know how many unique sources they have.

13 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Excuse my ignorance, but how reliable have the Brickshow / Rebelscum been in the past when it comes to leaks?

Brickshow just plain stole the info from Rebelscum without even sourcing it and wording it as their own description. It's one of the many thing that makes them shady; they also resell full price sets at events with a 20% mark-up where most most the attendance are young kids, it's plain scummy. 

Rebelscum plainly stated that their info were anything but 100% confirmed; but I know one thing, they don't steal information and pass it as their own and they keep their source a well kept secret. 

Edited by RetroInferno

I'm pretty sure the brickshow recycle rumours/info that has gained traction over time. I never really got on with their channel as something just feels a bit off about them. The type of guys that would receive sets from Lego then put them onto eBay.

I've only started checking rebelscum out the last month or so but they seem to post reliable info and dodge the more wish list type stuff.

Edited by That Orange Thing
Spelling

I feel like this is not true because of how many new minifigure parts they predicted, why would they make a new Obi-Wan hair piece, why would they make a new phase 1 clone helmet, I understand Plo Koon but the other parts make it sound more like a wish list. The transport set description also sounds like the Moc that has appeared recently.

On 1/15/2018 at 5:23 PM, aukevin said:

It is cool to get the funky speeder thing and the Wuher minifig, but that's all I got out of it.  I was hoping to use some of the parts to expand my cantina but there really isn't much new stuff there.  I used a couple of the stickers and stuff from the new one I guess to update the one from 2014.

OK thanks. Defo waiting for the new one to go on sale. Great Cantina layout by the way! :)

56 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Brickshow has been reliable of late... they seem to have developed a new source from which they obtained advance photos for a few lines of sets. 

That said, this leak doesn't appear to be from the same source. It sounds like the set descriptions (only, not photos) were sent anonymously to both Rebel Scum and Brickshow (or one of them, and the other cut-and-pasted). The information posted on both sites was near-identical, and neither site mentioned seeing the sets themselves.

Most of what I've seen Rebel Scum post about LEGO has appeared elsewhere first, so I don't know how many unique sources they have.

54 minutes ago, RetroInferno said:

Brickshow just plain stole the info from Rebelscum without even sourcing it and wording it as their own description. It's one of the many thing that makes them shady; they also resell full price sets at events with a 20% mark-up where most most the attendance are young kids, it's plain scummy. 

Rebelscum plainly stated that their info were anything but 100% confirmed; but I know one thing, they don't steal information and pass it as their own and they keep their source a well kept secret. 

51 minutes ago, That Orange Thing said:

I'm pretty sure the brickshow recycle rumours/info that has gained traction over time. I never really got on with their channel as something just feels a bit off about them. The type of guys that would receive sets from Lego then put them onto eBay.

I've only started checking rebelscum out the last month or so but they seem to post reliable info and dodge the more wish list type stuff.

Thank you all :) I knew that neither obviously could not have been 100% reliable in the past or there would be no need to discuss whether these leaks were true; we would all just be taking them as confirmed sets. So as someone who has just got into watching out for SW Lego leaks it's very interesting to hear your thoughts.

Hi all, and thank you to the Admins for allowing this indulgence 

I thought I'd say thanks for discussing Rebelscum's LEGO Star Wars coverage - and address a couple of points that have been raised.

We do work hard at providing credible LSW news and I'm glad that we're getting visitors from EuroBricks. A decade ago when I was more active in the community and Rebelscum hadn't taken a break from covering LSW both KimT and I worked quite closely to make sure news we received was credible. I didn't realise things would change so much when I moved away from LSW in 2010, but the hard work we've put in to building up a network of sources over the last two years has paid off.

With regards to the 75215/6/7 set post, both Brick Show and Rebelscum were contacted by the same source with the same email. Neither copied off each other. Rebelscum is very careful about researching our tip-offs and so far have had one leak disproved (Thandie Newton minifig ), but occasionally we go by instinct and this one feels right without being too good to be true. Some behind the scenes research has indicated there is plausibility in the access that the source has to the material.

I'm going out on a limb when I address a comment about Rebelscum reposting existing news because it makes us sound like we are being childish, but I'll risk it in order to underline the effort we put in to credibility: all the Solo set reveals, DJ minifig, solid UCS Falcon info, second wave of TLJ sets, a number of LSW Days promo bricks, first pic of the new Kylo Ren Shuttle - these have been Rebelscum's scoops.

If anyone is interested in LEGO leaks, here is an article I wrote that looks at why they are so popular - http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/LEGO_Why_Are_Leaks_So_Popular_178309.asp

30 minutes ago, LEGOscum said:

Hi all, and thank you to the Admins for allowing this indulgence 

I thought I'd say thanks for discussing Rebelscum's LEGO Star Wars coverage - and address a couple of points that have been raised.

We do work hard at providing credible LSW news and I'm glad that we're getting visitors from EuroBricks. A decade ago when I was more active in the community and Rebelscum hadn't taken a break from covering LSW both KimT and I worked quite closely to make sure news we received was credible. I didn't realise things would change so much when I moved away from LSW in 2010, but the hard work we've put in to building up a network of sources over the last two years has paid off.

With regards to the 75215/6/7 set post, both Brick Show and Rebelscum were contacted by the same source with the same email. Neither copied off each other. Rebelscum is very careful about researching our tip-offs and so far have had one leak disproved (Thandie Newton minifig ), but occasionally we go by instinct and this one feels right without being too good to be true. Some behind the scenes research has indicated there is plausibility in the access that the source has to the material.

I'm going out on a limb when I address a comment about Rebelscum reposting existing news because it makes us sound like we are being childish, but I'll risk it in order to underline the effort we put in to credibility: all the Solo set reveals, DJ minifig, solid UCS Falcon info, second wave of TLJ sets, a number of LSW Days promo bricks, first pic of the new Kylo Ren Shuttle - these have been Rebelscum's scoops.

If anyone is interested in LEGO leaks, here is an article I wrote that looks at why they are so popular - http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/LEGO_Why_Are_Leaks_So_Popular_178309.asp

Thanks for the info and leaks  :)

@LEGOscum Good to hear your dedication is to reliability not just clickbait. I think that was pretty much the consensus I received from my question. :) I did actually read your article last night and agree with your analysis. But most of all I liked the end photo ?

For my part, LEGOscum, I didn't mean to imply that you were cribbing from other sources. It's sometimes difficult to know where information originates when it appears everywhere nearly at once. I tend to assume that wherever I see it first is the first place it appears, but that's obviously not always the case.

Regarding the V-19 Torrent rumor, does the description of the included speeder bike having a mount on the main build concern/confuse anyone? ”There is also a brown speeder bike which has a rail like design at the bottom, and can fit into the brick built rack on the Torrent which has a rather large slot.”  The Torrent is a starfighter not a transport, not to mention I can’t see how LEGO could pull this off given the sleek design of the ship.  I can’t imagine why or how this feature would be included in the set if the rumor is true.

Edited by Skyhammer

Just now, Skyhammer said:

Regarding the V-19 Torrent rumor, does the description of the included speeder bike having a mount on the main build concern/confuse anyone?  “There is also a brown speeder bike which has a rail like design at the bottom, and can fit into the brick built rack on the Torrent which has a rather large slot.”  The Torrent is a starfighter not a transport, not to mention I can’t see how LEGO could pull this off given the sleek design of the ship.  I can’t imagine why or how this feature would be included in the set if the rumor is true.

Yeah that's strange, I'm having trouble visualizing it. If it didn't mention the third wing the whole set would sound more like the Republic Attack Shuttle or something.

3 minutes ago, Mark1006 said:

Yeah that's strange, I'm having trouble visualizing it. If it didn't mention the third wing the whole set would sound more like the Republic Attack Shuttle or something.

It just doesn’t sound right.  This is the most questionable detail of that rumor to me.  It sounds like someone took the original wave of sets from TCW back in 2008 and just combined features from each set, including the character selection.  Maybe that was LEGO’s goal, but I really hope they didn’t sacrifice the design of the build just to add that small feature in.  The Torrent is my favorite starfighter from the entire saga, and I never owned the original set.

The only reason I have doubts is because these sets were supposedly blacked out which normally the only reason behind this is because they can be potential spoilers for a movie. Whilst there is 1/2 TLJ sets in this leak there is also a CW one as well.

2 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

@LEGOscum Good to hear your dedication is to reliability not just clickbait. I think that was pretty much the consensus I received from my question. :) I did actually read your article last night and agree with your analysis. But most of all I liked the end photo ?

I only wrote the article so I could use that photo :D It was all clickbait to get you to see check it out ;D

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

For my part, LEGOscum, I didn't mean to imply that you were cribbing from other sources. It's sometimes difficult to know where information originates when it appears everywhere nearly at once. I tend to assume that wherever I see it first is the first place it appears, but that's obviously not always the case.

Hey, no I wasn't thinking you were having a dig. Yes, a lot of news does pop up at the same time. But in the instances I mentioned we were the first. I'm rather pleased at how well the Solo leaks travelled the globe. But there were a lot of sites that gave props to sources that got them from my post. Which made me sad.

18 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

The only reason I have doubts is because these sets were supposedly blacked out which normally the only reason behind this is because they can be potential spoilers for a movie. Whilst there is 1/2 TLJ sets in this leak there is also a CW one as well.

Retailer exclusive is the other reason. But then they usually aren;t included in the catalogues. It's this that has my Jedispider-senses tingling.

1 hour ago, Legoman123 said:

Good point. It really does not make sense to hide a CW set. I also start to think this rumor is bogus. Most likaly two TLJ and two Solo sets

Also, according to the leaked catalog pages, the set that is supposedly the V-19 Torrent (or V-Wing Torrent, or whatever the set description calls it) is a short-run set, only on shelves until Dec (similar to Advent calendar). I have to question whether LEGO would spend the money developing 3 new new molds for a set that's only sold for a few months. By comparison, the entire first wave of TLJ had something like 5 new molds, total... 

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

lso, according to the leaked catalog pages, the set that is supposedly the V-19 Torrent (or V-Wing Torrent, or whatever the set description calls it) is a short-run set, only on shelves until Dec (similar to Advent calendar).

That's very weird. What's the last non-advent calendar set that was a short release?

I hope these leaks are true. I've been itching for another solid clone wars wave for almost 5 year now. 

The leaks talks about an Obi-wan with a white torso and robes going down to the legs which could either be:

• The 2003 Obi-Wan with the clone under armour. This seems highly unlikely but I can dream.
  • The 2008 season 1-3 Obi-Wan. This would make much more sense, and would imply that the Anakin from the jedi starfighter will be the clone wars version, and not the Ep II version. It would also imply that the clones in the V-19 Torrent are phase 1. 

My theory is that we wait for pics of the Anakin from the jedi starfighter, and, if it is a new print, would lead more credibility to the new Rebelscum/Brick Show leaks.

21 hours ago, wesker said:

Don't forget the head for Bigg's astromech from the new X-Wing has already leaked - and the design is clearly different from both the upcoming Chrome R2-D2 and the R2-Q2 figure that came with the V-Wing back in 2011.

Can't find this anywhere.

2 hours ago, Infinite Bricks said:

I hope these leaks are true. I've been itching for another solid clone wars wave for almost 5 year now. 

The leaks talks about an Obi-wan with a white torso and robes going down to the legs which could either be:

• The 2003 Obi-Wan with the clone under armour. This seems highly unlikely but I can dream.
  • The 2008 season 1-3 Obi-Wan. This would make much more sense, and would imply that the Anakin from the jedi starfighter will be the clone wars version, and not the Ep II version. It would also imply that the clones in the V-19 Torrent are phase 1. 

My theory is that we wait for pics of the Anakin from the jedi starfighter, and, if it is a new print, would lead more credibility to the new Rebelscum/Brick Show leaks.

Right there with you dreaming for more sets from the original Clone Wars mini-series (you know, the one that was actually good) but with TCW version of Anakin’s Starfighter already leaked we know what era they’re focusing on this wave.  

Good news is, with Anakin’s Starfighter already being rereleased, it makes complete sense for LEGO to rerelease the Torrent alongside it, which is what makes that rumor believable to me.  I also think that with the Jedi/Clone battle pack releasing in April, we can rest assured that we will never have to suffer seeing stylized characters from TCW again.

I’m confident the Anakin we receive this summer will be based off TCW, but have a more realistic/movie accurate printing to him.  Same goes for any other TCW characters that may be released with the rumored Torrent.  Really hoping those days are over...  So many great sets and ships were released while TCW was running, but I’ve always cringed at the stylized characters.  ESPECIALLY the troopers... Thank the makers for the summer 2013 wave that righted all the wrongs of that age.

Edited by Skyhammer

5 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Also, according to the leaked catalog pages, the set that is supposedly the V-19 Torrent (or V-Wing Torrent, or whatever the set description calls it) is a short-run set, only on shelves until Dec (similar to Advent calendar).  

I noticed that a day or two ago too, but (and I'm not an expert in Swedish) but I took utgar to mean "start on" - as in it is having a delayed release.

Also, none of the advent calendars get retired (they are still available now) and the box dimensions don't match the other two. But I get where you are coming from.

I've emailed one of the people at RS - I'd say at a guess @LEGOscumand had email discussions about LSW before this list about some of the things they posted. 

They're clearly aren't interested in clickbait. They genuinely have an interest in lego.

15 hours ago, That Orange Thing said:

I never really got on with their channel as something just feels a bit off about them. The type of guys that would receive sets from Lego then put them onto eBay.

I haven't seen a video of theirs in years, but last time I checked them out they were already receiving support from LEGO and they gave every set they reviewed a 9 or 10 out of 10 (even when it certainly did not deserve it, especially from a neutral standpoint). Maybe they're scared that saying something bad will lead to their support being cut off? (I've given a couple sets some less than stellar reviews as part of the LUG program and nothing bad has ever come of that...)

Right now I'm in the boat that these rumors are too good to be true, but I do trust the folks over at rebelscum. The figure choices, prices and descriptions all seem a bit off to me.