MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

2 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

The new Finn leaked. Unlike rose he doesn’t get a new hair hat combo. He just gets a hat

at least he gets a brand new face print ... and looks like he's wearing the new dark pearl grey uniform ...

Just now, Tidy said:

at least he gets a brand new face print ... and looks like he's wearing the new dark pearl grey uniform ...

Where did you see the new Finn?

Just now, starwars4ever said:

Where did you see the new Finn?

my inbox. :-/

I’d say the two pilots are from the Sandspeeder set. There are two of them and they have a new color, like the rumored recolored T-47 itself. I doubt they’re from the Han Solo movie, as the rebel starbird logo has only been defined about one year before ANH in canon IIRC, and the majority of the movie takes place before that.

18 minutes ago, JekPorkchops said:

I’d say the two pilots are from the Sandspeeder set. There are two of them and they have a new color, like the rumored recolored T-47 itself. I doubt they’re from the Han Solo movie, as the rebel starbird logo has only been defined about one year before ANH in canon IIRC, and the majority of the movie takes place before that.

There's always the mysterious 75201 and the 75202 Crait Skimmer as well...

Edited by Azani

I like the new Luke, especially his hair. Hes basically the only new leaked figure I like so far, the rest are pretty disappointing, but more because of the choice of figure itself rather than the design, where are the alien species?

Finn in FO officer disguise looks fine but nothing special. Honestly Rose in disguise looks better. Hopefully new Phasma will be shown soon.

Edited by benderisgreat

19 hours ago, Renegade Clone said:

Personally I am pleased with the Luke minifig. Is it super accurate? No. But this ain't a $250 6-inch Hot Toys figure... it's a Lego minifigure.

I do wish Lego would start using dual molds on SW minifigs but there appears to be a dictate to not use those techniques outside of Lego Movie / Batman minifigs. Go figure!

Nonsense. It's that kind of attitude that makes TLG think it's okay to do that. This Luke figure looks more like a knockoff design than something of high quality I expect from TLG. The figure doesn't have to be godly but I do expect an accurate figure especially given the prices of these sets.

3 minutes ago, Helghan said:

Nonsense. It's that kind of attitude that makes TLG think it's okay to do that. This Luke figure looks more like a knockoff design than something of high quality I expect from TLG. The figure doesn't have to be godly but I do expect an accurate figure especially given the prices of these sets.

It comes in a 30 EUR/USD set. Of course it's okay for TLG to slip up on colors every once in a while. Heck, they aren't even that far off when compared to some of the shots in the trailer, and none of us have seen the film.

As far as dual molding/printing goes, it would be fantastic to see; that said, it's still not commonplace to the extent that many of us would like, and thus isn't really something that we can reasonably see coming to SW as a foregone conclusion.

34 minutes ago, Helghan said:

Exactly. It is that kind of reasoning that dismisses the premium quality we have come to expect. No one is demanding dual molding or all side printing, however it's very odd that a pattern is emerging.

19 minutes ago, Azani said:

It comes in a 30 EUR/USD set. Of course it's okay for TLG to slip up on colors every once in a while. Heck, they aren't even that far off when compared to some of the shots in the trailer, and none of us have seen the film.

As far as dual molding/printing goes, it would be fantastic to see; that said, it's still not commonplace to the extent that many of us would like, and thus isn't really something that we can reasonably see coming to SW as a foregone conclusion.

Slipping up colors for main minifigures shouldn't be a big deal and it isn't. The problem now is that this is becoming a continuous issue. The original Jakku Rey was slightly off colors with more grey undershirt than white and then Resistance Rey was shown to have completely wrong colors as her vest should not be tan or beige at all and her pants are certainly not lighter than her vest. Now Luke, a highly desired and long awaited figure has glaring color problems which could have easily been fixed, there is no wow factor or detail everyone is excited to see. 

The problem some of us have is regarding a drop in perceived quality combined with an apparent disregard for color accuracy. The change between a white torso and leg mold versus tan or light tan shouldn't affect the price of production. Rather these are simple errors which were preventable due to a lapse of judgment in the design process. These are quality issues we would expect from another company but not Lego. Now all we can do is hope each time a minifigure emerges that Lego will not choose random or colors which are close enough. 

Lego has set numerous expectations over the years with their established quality, yet we see that SW minifigures are falling behind compared with other themes if we consider advanced production and design techniques found in other lines. Good enough or passing likeness should not be acceptable nor encouraged. When we consider Lego's price point, it is a premium item and with expected price increases there is hope they will not decrease or keep quality lower to offset cost. 

I don't think it's a case of Lego not caring or letting standards slip but rather Disney not giving them concrete final designs for upcoming movies. From my understanding the time it takes to produce a Minifig is very lengthy and work from early sketches often. There is then the added problem of Disney changing designs before the final release. If you think about it, the perception that Lego accuracy is slipping has only really come about recently as they try to second guess what a character will look like before the films have been released.

Just now, That Orange Thing said:

I don't think it's a case of Lego not caring or letting standards slip but rather Disney not giving them concrete final designs for upcoming movies. From my understanding the time it takes to produce a Minifig is very lengthy and work from early sketches often. There is then the added problem of Disney changing designs before the final release. If you think about it, the perception that Lego accuracy is slipping has only really come about recently as they try to second guess what a character will look like before the films have been released.

Exactly, the case being with luke is that nevermind the rest of the figure, his face looks like an over detailed Pug with a beard. 

Just now, RetroInferno said:

Exactly, the case being with luke is that nevermind the rest of the figure, his face looks like an over detailed Pug with a beard. 

I'd say it's all subjective and we all have different opinions  on what's good or bad. It would be interesting to see what other minifigs this graphic designer has done. Maybe it's a styling theme they have?

1 hour ago, That Orange Thing said:

This argument doesn't work due to the fact that Lego had since 2015 to work on a TFA/TLJ Luke minifigure. Certainly time constraints in the past and changing movie designs has caused color and accuracy issues. The case does not excuse Luke. Considering even the Lego banner that showed him in proper tan and other easily available materials the question and cause lies elsewhere. Somewhere in the final design process, Lego decided that a base white mold was the better choice. The real question is what was their rationale, hopefully a designer can provide input at some point in the future.

Edit: I wanted to clarify on Luke specifically when stating TFA material and time allotted to Lego for the design process.

Edited by Mahtion

I know we would have complained about the quality of the prints if the mold was tan. We know their white printing is too light, and flesh color on anything other than white looks orange.

The reasoning some sets usually release pre-movie are weaker in design is due to the fact that Disney/Lucasfilm only provides the Lego designers with concept art before making the actual sets. They have no live film reference besides images.

Also, does anyone know who is included in the Crait Battlepack ? Is it based on the First Order or Resistance?

Honestly, I hope we can some Battlefront 2 sets sometime as well. I would love to see the Inferno Squadron in a battle pack and also the new Leia with the yellow jacket with traditional rebel troopers.

I think Alexastor makes a really valid point about white printing on any kind of base colour. It just doesn't look very good and i suspect they actively try and avoid doing it if possible. A recent example would be the legs on Tatooine Luke where they moved away from printing white onto tan to the more recent tan printing on white base. 

Edited by That Orange Thing

44 minutes ago, GryffindorResistance said:

The reasoning some sets usually release pre-movie are weaker in design is due to the fact that Disney/Lucasfilm only provides the Lego designers with concept art before making the actual sets. They have no live film reference besides images.

Also, does anyone know who is included in the Crait Battlepack ? Is it based on the First Order or Resistance?

Honestly, I hope we can some Battlefront 2 sets sometime as well. I would love to see the Inferno Squadron in a battle pack and also the new Leia with the yellow jacket with traditional rebel troopers.

It is based on the First Order.

So the 'Supremecy Battle' set is the one to feature Finn, Rose and the Executioner Troopers. Do we know whether it will include Phasma? If so then this set is a must-have. I expect it to be along the likes of the Takodana and Scarif sets, small part count compared to its huge price to sell some good minifigures.

next year seems full of affordable sets with fantastic minifigures; the Jedi and tatooine battlepack, a £20 set with General Grievous and Mace Windu, £30 sets with Yoda, training and old Luke and training Rey, and a chewbacca is even in a microfighter! I like this new trend that lego has started with Star Wars with smaller sets containing high-profile characters (think bounty hunter pack, Vader transformation and duel on Naboo)

2 hours ago, GryffindorResistance said:

Which sets are we discussing? I don't recall any set pics. If you are referring to Luke, the entire world saw his appearance in December 2015. That gave Lego plenty of time to get the colors corrected. Even if we go by concept art, in the TFA book his outfit is still light tan with white, not white with light tan. 

Now the explanation regarding issues with printing on tan makes some sense and I'm willing to accept it. However if white is the ideal mold, I wonder why Rey wasn't printed on it considering her outfit in TFA has white undershirt and all. Also the Jedi minifigures have been printed on light tan and so have hobbits in the Hobbit theme. 

Edited by Mahtion
White mold defense is weak when addressing minifigures with light tan molds having no apparent problems before.

I wonder if they will make the Finn rose undercover set a play set because that could mean we would get two play sets for one wave

Edited by Falconfan1414