MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that Luke's beard and hair are tan instead of grey like they are supposed to be? Btw his appearance in Lego Star Wars Tfa was a lot closer to Mark Hamill than this version that we are getting.

Edited by benderisgreat

I'm actually quite impressed by the new Luke minifigure; it's instantly recognisable and we've certainly had far worse! :laugh:

I've seen both of the official trailers, but I'm not that excited about the film yet, it just looks a bit generic somehow.  I much preferred Rogue One to Episode 7, and it looks like Episode 8 will be more of the same.... hopefully I'll be proved incorrect.

3 hours ago, Alexastor said:

I think it's technically accurate in terms of details, but it looks way too white overall. It would have been absolutely perfect if it was a tan minifig with white details printed on, instead of white minifig with tan details.

Exactly. Poor Luke has been whitewashed in Lego. All three Rey minifigs, Maz, and Jyn Erso all had poor color choices which could have been easily fixed before release. Dual molding and more advanced design/production techniques are excusable though begrudgingly so. However, the color problems for main characters are not and can't be explained by remake opportunities in the future.

Just now, Mahtion said:

Exactly. Poor Luke has been whitewashed in Lego. All three Rey minifigs, Maz, and Jyn Erso all had poor color choices which could have been easily fixed before release. Dual molding and more advanced design/production techniques are excusable though begrudgingly so. However, the color problems for main characters are not and can't be explained by remake opportunities in the future.

I have to agree as well, the white is waaay too dominant because the cape is too far way/too seperated from the Torso and legs pieces (you cant wrap it around the sides of a minifig naturally). The best option they could have done in my opinion was to make a multi-layered print that includes the tan cape/full robe (which then goes through the hip on the legs as well), just like the newest Ben Kenobi Figure (which looks amazing because of it!).

What also would help a great deal already would be if they would have printed that crease of robe on the edge of Torso, Hip and Legs in tan as well.

His face is alright, but seems a bit off, too.

I long for the day when we get a seamless, unanimous decision on something being genuinely good....ahhhh who am I kidding that ain't gonna happen.

10 minutes ago, Mymaker123 said:

I long for the day when we get a seamless, unanimous decision on something being genuinely good....ahhhh who am I kidding that ain't gonna happen.

What about genuinely subpar instead? Kidding aside, unanimous decisions are nearly impossible on the internet. For one the human element is removed, without emotional presence in a social setting there's less need for cooperation. Look at any popular YouTube video, there will always exist dislikes despite universal appeal or neutrality. Regarding Lego, we should hold them to a basic standard, especially when the color choices are easily fixable and issues preventable.

Lately lego has been doing some strange stuff to the faces of SW characters... Those strange eyelash thing for example like on old Obi Wan from 2016, he almost looks female. :wacko:

Or like the face of Owen Lars... What happened to that face. *huh*

Edited by Cyberfounder

I don't mind the color choices at all. Luke's clothing is white and tan and either color stand out in different lighting conditions. So it was either going to be too white or too tan and at least this stands out from the dozens of other tan Jedi.

As for the hair color, I'm glad they went this route. Luke's hair has a lot of gray, but it also has a good amount of his original brownish/blond in there too. There's just not currently a way to show that type of color variance in a hair mold. So, like Leia in TFA, they had to choose a solid color in between the gray and brown. This is a decent choice to me.

39 minutes ago, strangely said:

I don't mind the color choices at all. Luke's clothing is white and tan and either color stand out in different lighting conditions. So it was either going to be too white or too tan and at least this stands out from the dozens of other tan Jedi.

As for the hair color, I'm glad they went this route. Luke's hair has a lot of gray, but it also has a good amount of his original brownish/blond in there too. There's just not currently a way to show that type of color variance in a hair mold. So, like Leia in TFA, they had to choose a solid color in between the gray and brown. This is a decent choice to me.

I agree 100% for me this was well worth the wait

I'd say they could have shown the different colours in the hair, there's plenty of figures out there with streaks of other colours on the hairpieces. Even Chewbacca is an example of how it can be effecting. It might not have worked well, but it's something that could have been done.

i think the colour is fine, but would have preferred it to be gray if I had the choice

it seems that the leaks just keep showing up every day, another rebel and resistance pilots are up

So many Rebel pilots, a user on reddit hinted they are part of the han solo wave and that would make the most sense; I'm always happy getting these guys! And the helmet details are so good. 

I just wish they would use somethign else for the male pilot with the OMG face and big smile; the original x-wing micro fighter face was so much better!

15 minutes ago, RetroInferno said:

part of the han solo wave and that would make the most sense;

Would it make sense though? Is the Rebellion going to be in Solo? I still think they're in the Sandspeeder set. Two pilots we've never seen before in a two-seater vehicle we've never seen (in anything besides a scraped Kenner toy) before. Makes sense to me.

Interestingly, the 75149 X-Wing has been retired on the S&H website, whilst Poe's older version is still available :look:

In reality, I can't imagine that 75102 will be around for much longer unless it appears again in Episode VIII, presumably following an extensive re-build!! I didn't expect that at all and, as most system-scale sets have a sub two-year lifespan, I'm wondering if they'll be another X-Wing of some sort for 2018?  They seem to be a near constant in the SW range; personally I'd like to see a new OT version as 9493 does look a little dated... and that would tie-in nicely with Yoda's Hut.

28 minutes ago, DrasticPlastic said:

How about some aliens?

Well, I'm wondering the same. We had nothing really new about that last summer (Quarrie was new but the fifth Mon Calamari released), and nothing at all in the Last Jedi sets. Seven new figs have been leaked right now about the upcoming moovie and nothing really exotic. Aliens are part of Star Wars DNA. About what I saw, it's becoming worrisome

59 minutes ago, DrasticPlastic said:

...so many pilots...so many...

How about some aliens? Or some dual moulding? Arm printing? The Star Wars figures have become a bit...flat.

Yeah. It has made collecting super hero minifigures easier for me.

Personally I am pleased with the Luke minifig. Is it super accurate? No. But this ain't a $250 6-inch Hot Toys figure... it's a Lego minifigure.

I do wish Lego would start using dual molds on SW minifigs but there appears to be a dictate to not use those techniques outside of Lego Movie / Batman minifigs. Go figure!

2 hours ago, Lobot said:

Interestingly, the 75149 X-Wing has been retired on the S&H website, whilst Poe's older version is still available :look:

In reality, I can't imagine that 75102 will be around for much longer unless it appears again in Episode VIII, presumably following an extensive re-build!! I didn't expect that at all and, as most system-scale sets have a sub two-year lifespan, I'm wondering if they'll be another X-Wing of some sort for 2018?  They seem to be a near constant in the SW range; personally I'd like to see a new OT version as 9493 does look a little dated... and that would tie-in nicely with Yoda's Hut.

Yes! A new OT X-Wing with the new Canopy would be great. 

It would have been amazing if they would have brought that old Yodas Hut/Foliaged X-Wing Set back, but getting both seperately is fine as well I guess.

Looks like the new pilots have light gray torsos instead of light blue as previously pictured. 

Helmets of Red 4 - John D and Rey's salvaged Tierfon Yellow Aces helmet. Plus another U-Wing pilot?

Edited by Renegade Clone

The face on luke honestly looks like a misprint, the details are just so small. The robes aren't too bad though, I feel like the actual outfit was light enough that it could've been either tan or white. And the hair is growing on me, but I still think the Anakin hair in tan or gray would've looked better.