MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

I don’t know why, but that Luke might just be one of my favourite figures in a long time. Again, I’m not sure why since there’s some major inaccuracies with it, but as a product on its own separate from the on-screen counterpart it just looks so damn cool to me.

On 10/21/2017 at 1:37 PM, Mymaker123 said:

I don’t know why, but that Luke might just be one of my favourite figures in a long time. Again, I’m not sure why since there’s some major inaccuracies with it, but as a product on its own separate from the on-screen counterpart it just looks so damn cool to me.

in comparing the fig to a still from the trailers, it's really not that far off. sure a little more light light tan printing, but it's pretty dang close from the opening shots of luke.

Edited by Tidy

33 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

The first part is just written backwards. If you mirror it, you get the real source. We don't want to link people to leaked photos as that would get us in trouble with Lego. Azani was just trying to help protect our status with Lego.

Ah, no problem. Sorry about the confusion; thank you.

Wow that Luke minifig looks amazing. I honestly wasn't expecting a new hairpiece but it looks great. His staff seems too big and rather inaccurate based on what we've seen but I'm not terribly bothered by it. I think the torso print looks great even if it isn't 100% accurate as well. They did do a great job with the face print imo.

The worst thing about new Luke is that apparently he doesn't come with his green lightsaber! But I guess it's more of a Lucasfilm fault rather than Lego. At least this can be easily corrected.

I really like the Luke figure and I like the fact, that it is the bright costume. Looks more Jedi-like than the dark one.

The new hairpiece is fantastic. It would be perfect for an Ego (Guardians of the Galaxy 2) figure (or any other long-haired Kurt Russell character :wink: )

Luke is like Resistance Rey, colors are wrong. Luke has way too much white, when he is more equal parts light tan and white. Makes no sense and ruins the character. I'll use the custom I got last year. I don't have much hope for a $24.99 Ach-to set honestly. It may not even come with a single porg at this point. I'm guessing no Praetorians either, I already accepted no DJ or Canto Bight sets. Lego is dropping the ball I feel like.

Just now, Mahtion said:

Luke is like Resistance Rey, colors are wrong. Luke has way too much white, when he is more equal parts light tan and white. Makes no sense and ruins the character. I'll use the custom I got last year. I don't have much hope for a $24.99 Ach-to set honestly. It may not even come with a single porg at this point. I'm guessing no Praetorians either, I already accepted no DJ or Canto Bight sets. Lego is dropping the ball I feel like.

They have been making a few mistakes along the way. Luke was, unfortunately, one minifigure that they needed to get right, but I am sure they will pick up their game. They might surprise us yet.

2 hours ago, DrasticPlastic said:

Finally! Luke! Absurd we’re had to wait 2 years!

Well, we did have to wait two hours to see him in the movie

We could argue about how colors are not really accurate or that ugly staff, but the face....Does someone at Lego has a grudge agaisn't Luke? I mean...

lego-mos-eisley-cantina-set-75052-15-7.j

10 hours ago, RetroInferno said:

We could argue about how colors are not really accurate or that ugly staff, but the face....Does someone at Lego has a grudge agaisn't Luke? I mean...

*Snip*

I think we shouldn’t be too worried about the current face for old Luke, since both the 2014 Luke and the 2015 Old Han Solo received major upgrades to their face prints in subsequent sets. I think that dark tan should be the only colour used for Luke’s hair in OT sets also, tan is just plain wrong.

Edited by Lobot
: Please don't quote images, thanks :-)

I think the most interesting thing about Lego Star Wars is that they have never really been able to capture the main characters correctly. At least in my opinion, they have never been able to capture Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie right. Han has always looked awful from the face and hair, the 2016 Death finally brought us a version that fits the bill, but that took 16 years to perfect...

leia has been fine, but I don't get her character's vibe like I do from character's like Rey.

luke has always had the shortest straw though, Lego has tried so hard, the 2014 version above being evidence of that... but he either comes out looking creepy or just not looking detailed enough. And it seems their failure to capture Mark Hamil has moved over to him as an older man.

this is all just my opinion though. I would say however that I think the Force Awakens game version of Luke was pretty much perfect...

2 hours ago, Mahtion said:

I'm 99% sure that we'll see all of those things, except a Canto Bight set.

I really don't understand the criticism with colors/accuracy. It's a lego mining, if you want accuracy, buy a black series figure, or bandai kit, or hot toys.

Glad we're finally getting Luke! The hairpiece looks fantastic and while there may be a bit too much white on the torso, the tan cape helps balance the colors out. The face print takes a bit of time getting used to but I'm definitely getting more of a Hamill vibe here than I do with most Luke minifigures.

2 hours ago, Mahtion said:

Be patient. We'll get DJ and Canto Bight eventually. Look how long it took for Lego to cover The Force Awakens:

2 waves just to get Leia, Maz, Ackbar and FO Technician.
3 waves for Unkar Plutt, Teedo, Lor San Tekka, Luggabeast and Jakku Poe.
4 waves for Bala-Tik, Guavians, Rathtars, Major Brance and the Blue Uniform FO Officers.
Plus TLJ sets for Ach-To Rey, Jedi Master Luke, Snoke, Ematt and Flight Suit Poe.

As it stands they've been doing a much better job at covering the characters in the Sequel Trilogy than they have with the Prequels, which still has too many absent characters and variants to name.

14 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

I think the most interesting thing about Lego Star Wars is that they have never really been able to capture the main characters correctly. At least in my opinion, they have never been able to capture Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie right. Han has always looked awful from the face and hair, the 2016 Death finally brought us a version that fits the bill, but that took 16 years to perfect...

leia has been fine, but I don't get her character's vibe like I do from character's like Rey.

luke has always had the shortest straw though, Lego has tried so hard, the 2014 version above being evidence of that... but he either comes out looking creepy or just not looking detailed enough. And it seems their failure to capture Mark Hamil has moved over to him as an older man.

this is all just my opinion though. I would say however that I think the Force Awakens game version of Luke was pretty much perfect...

Luke is the only one I don't think they've captured well. Han's face print has always been fine and the new hairpiece has only improved the likeness. As for Leia I think the angry expression of both her young and old faces capture her character perfectly. The smirk expression I'm a bit more mixed about - it works well for the older version from TFA, but I think the smile from the UCS Millennium Falcon fits the younger version better.

Inaccuracies aside that Luke minifig looks great! I love the new hairpiece mold but out of curiosity is there any reason why Lego can't lay a second colour/print over hairpiece molds like they do for heads, torsos, etc? Is it a practical or cost issue? I know there are some Friends minidolls that have dual-coloured hair so it must at least be possible. 

30 minutes ago, Markalus said:

Inaccuracies aside that Luke minifig looks great! I love the new hairpiece mold but out of curiosity is there any reason why Lego can't lay a second colour/print over hairpiece molds like they do for heads, torsos, etc? Is it a practical or cost issue? I know there are some Friends minidolls that have dual-coloured hair so it must at least be possible. 

I guess Luke's hair is way too consistent for printing. But still I would have given it a try..
And what's everyone talking about wrong colours for the outfit? Didn't he always wear these exact colours since the new trilogy?

36 minutes ago, Markalus said:

It's not that they can't, look at Wyldestyle from the Lego movie, and it's the same reason they won't use dual molding; remake opportunities and budget.

It's a win-win situation for them; ommit technology they aquired and applied on other themes that they want to promote that are ''new'' ( look at the quality of the figures for the Lego movies and overall detail: dual molds and prints everywhere. Lego movie sets won't be remade and they want to sell them, they of course will give them the high quality treatment. Let's save money and opportunities later.

Now let's look at Star Wars; enormous remake potential for almost every sets and is really popular right now. You will have a harder time to market a remake of a new set if there's nothing to improve on the mini-figure..

One of the best example in recent memory was the C3-PO polybag from TFA. Side prints on arms and legs. Lego couldn't even bother including those in the 500$ Death Star or the 800$ Falcon.

I hate it but it's a smart tactic from a marketting standpoint. 

Edited by RetroInferno

Luke looks good aside from the inaccuracies. Not liking that hair mold but I guess I need to see it in person.

On 20-10-2017 at 12:59 PM, BrickLord123 said:

Wait so we are probably getting Luke in a £20-£25 Ach-To set?

Thank goodness since its such a poor figuren...

The outfit on the Luke looks pretty spot on compared to the Black Series fig IMO.

Awesome that we are getting a new hair piece!

I think it's technically accurate in terms of details, but it looks way too white overall. It would have been absolutely perfect if it was a tan minifig with white details printed on, instead of white minifig with tan details.