MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2018 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!

Just now, SCREDEYE said:

I wonder why LEGO would do this but let's see how this works if proven to be real!

Possibly to make way for the Han Solo sets coming in March/April (assuming that the movie is still released in May... which seems like it might be a stretch now)? And/or the December set(s) reveal some kind of plot details that Lucasfilm doesn't want revealed until closer to the release of TLJ?

Just now, jdubbs said:

Possibly to make way for the Han Solo sets coming in March/April (assuming that the movie is still released in May... which seems like it might be a stretch now)? And/or the December set(s) reveal some kind of plot details that Lucasfilm doesn't want revealed until closer to the release of TLJ?

Very likely but I wonder why only release certain sets instead of all the winter wave a month early?

16 hours ago, SCREDEYE said:

Very likely but I wonder why only release certain sets instead of all the winter wave a month early?

It's so they can get more of your money :laugh:

Honestly, a December wave makes much more sense than the January schedule, everybody throws money at retailers with two hands before the holidays, and shortly after, in January most of the commercial sector is sleeping/getting rid of all the stuff from last year.

I will say that the rep wasn't specific about what themes are getting a December release but as we were talking about Star Wars, I may have been reading between the lines. Working in retail I do know how empty shelves can become on the run up to Christmas and then there can be a lul until the new range comes in. I do know that the chances of a normal retail store (not LEGO based) updating their range during the Christmas rush is slim. Will try to get more details the next time the rep is in.

Am I the only one whose interested in the tattooine battle pack? I really like the Tusken raiders and the Jawas and that's a cheap way to get them!

4 hours ago, TheLazyChicken said:

Am I the only one whose interested in the tattooine battle pack? I really like the Tusken raiders and the Jawas and that's a cheap way to get them!

It's a cheap way to get them but you can already get them cheap via bricklink. It's just superfluous. 

I'm going on a wild guess and say maybe some of the ''confirmed'' figs are LDD place holders for something else. 

12 hours ago, RetroInferno said:

It's a cheap way to get them but you can already get them cheap via bricklink. It's just superfluous. 

I'm going on a wild guess and say maybe some of the ''confirmed'' figs are LDD place holders for something else. 

Well, I actually would expect some new printing, it will actually be four years since last update, doesn't feel to optimistic 

9 minutes ago, Sir von Lego said:

Just to add: one more constraction figure will be Darth Maul.

Ooh, not a huge fan of construction figures but this might make the want list.

@Sir von Lego

Now, wojen the behind the scenes appeares it is a good time to give as a little info about The Last Jedi 2018 sets and buildable figures.

Phasma, new Stormtroopers, Crait skimmer, A-Wing, Pretorianie?

14 hours ago, Sir von Lego said:

Just to add: one more constraction figure will be Darth Maul.

Darth Maul was inevitable. I don't think his build will contain anything new or innovative. Just a new head sculpt and prints. Is it based off his Episode 1 appearance or his TCW/Rebels one?

23 hours ago, ChristopherLee said:

Darth Maul was inevitable. I don't think his build will contain anything new or innovative. Just a new head sculpt and prints. Is it based off his Episode 1 appearance or his TCW/Rebels one?

Most likely it's gonna be TPM maul to coincide with the battlefront 2 model. The only clone war models I want to see are with his first variation of robotic legs or spider legs. Other robot leg variants have him wearing boots which would make it standard long leg CCBS design.

30 minutes ago, SCREDEYE said:

Most likely it's gonna be TPM maul to coincide with the battlefront 2 model. The only clone war models I want to see are with his first variation of robotic legs or spider legs. Other robot leg variants have him wearing boots which would make it standard long leg CCBS design.

With robotic legs he would actually look ok probably. The problem with these buildables is that characters without armor just look so wrong. 

On 11.7.2017 at 2:57 AM, ARIEL-1970 said:

I wonder if they will bring out the Geonosis flame troopers with this ?

With Coleman Trebor it's more likely an AOTC pack. Maybe a way to rectify the god-awful Droidekas v.s. Shiny and Sgt. of 2012. I sure hope it's two Shinies but official updates of Sgt. and Lt. with different greens and blues would be useful as well. I knew I should have waited out a bit before ordering my lifetime supply of Phase 1 helmets on Bricklink.

On 13.7.2017 at 10:04 PM, SCREDEYE said:

Lego can only produce a finite amount of sets at any given time and movie sets have higher priority due to them being more of a trend item.

3 hours ago, Navy Trooper Fenson said:

Lego can only produce a finite amount of sets at any given time and movie sets have higher priority due to them being more of a trend item.

This seems like the most likely answer regardless of December only having TLJ sets or various winter sets as in both cases they will have enough space to allocate for the Han Solo sets, I suspect this is to have winter wave sets earlier next year to accommodate future movie waves. I will miss September waves though as they were special in their own ways to me.

I am curious how the inevitable 2018 Han Solo lego sets will be affected by all the hullabaloo with the changing of directors. Presumably not much but you can never quite tell with these things.

The second wave of RO sets came out a couple of weeks before Christmas here last year so this would make sense to me from a marketing perspective (ie having as much product as possible out to support the movie release).

I think the real question here is: what happens if Solo is pushed back to December? Presumably Ron Howard will decide soon whether he can deliver the movie 9 months from now. I suspect Kennedy chose him partly because he could, but also because he has the clout to tell Disney they need to delay the movie, if does end up needing substantial reshoots. If it does get delayed, is it still possible for LEGO to shift next year's spring sets back to fall? Would there be product far enough along in the pipeline to fill their spot? etc.

12 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

I think the real question here is: what happens if Solo is pushed back to December? ....If it does get delayed, is it still possible for LEGO to shift next year's spring sets back to fall? Would there be product far enough along in the pipeline to fill their spot? etc.

That's a great question. With all these Lego licensed properties, this must have happened at some point in the past, right? Is there any precedent set that says TLG will go ahead and release toys as scheduled regardless of say, a 6 month delay in a film's release?

There was extreme hype surrounding the release of The Force Awakens. There was also talk of that film being delayed - we even heard reports from JJ wanting it pushed back. In the end, the mouse came in on time. I couldn't imagine there being no first Force Friday for Lego. Disney must move heaven and earth making sure things occur on schedule. I have confidence Solo will also be released on schedule.

Does anyone hope Yoda's hut has a "dying/disappearing into the force" action feature for Yoda kinda like Vader's transformation? "There is.... another.... Sky.... walk.... er....."

1 hour ago, darththeling said:

There was extreme hype surrounding the release of The Force Awakens. There was also talk of that film being delayed - we even heard reports from JJ wanting it pushed back. In the end, the mouse came in on time. I couldn't imagine there being no first Force Friday for Lego. Disney must move heaven and earth making sure things occur on schedule. I have confidence Solo will also be released on schedule.

The Force Awakens was delayed, from May 2015 to December 2015. But this happened early enough (around the time that Abrams tossed the original script and wrote a new one with Kasden) that I doubt any merchandise had been designed or produced by LEGO.

1 hour ago, darththeling said:

That's a great question. With all these Lego licensed properties, this must have happened at some point in the past, right? Is there any precedent set that says TLG will go ahead and release toys as scheduled regardless of say, a 6 month delay in a film's release?

I seem to recall people saying that LEGO had a bunch of Episode II and III product at some stage of development in anticipation of the (canceled) theatrical 3D re-releases. Which might explain why they keep giving us Jedi Starfighters wave after wave... Other than that, there was at least one Hobbit set affected when Peter Jackson went from 2 to 3 movies... Mirkwood Spiders got released with the first movie, even though that scene got moved to the second movie... LEGO added a sticker to the box to explain the disparity. 

If Solo does get pushed to December, I doubt Disney would allow merchandise to hit shelves 8-9 months ahead of the release date... and I doubt LEGO would want to release it then either, since sets wouldn't sell nearly as well without the movie in theaters to support them.

I'm pretty sure the reason we were hearing about all of the Last Jedi sets being behind closed doors at toy fair is because Lego had them done early due to Disney's move of TLJ to December from May. They seem to have adapted to that fairly well, as none of the waves from this year seem to have been rushed filler to account for the moved release. I think that as long as Disney doesn't wait so long to announce a delay that the sets are already in production, Lego should handle things fine. 

I think the TLJ wave is good and it makes me excited for any TLJ 2018 sets. Yoda's Hut will be a must-buy (especially if we get Bespin Luke!). Got a Carbon Freeze Chamber MOD waiting for a Bespin Luke lol.

To be clear, is this a thread where news/rumours will be posted like 2017 one? Or is this just for discussions? 

2 hours ago, Spongebob456 said:

I think the TLJ wave is good and it makes me excited for any TLJ 2018 sets. Yoda's Hut will be a must-buy (especially if we get Bespin Luke!). Got a Carbon Freeze Chamber MOD waiting for a Bespin Luke lol.

To be clear, is this a thread where news/rumours will be posted like 2017 one? Or is this just for discussions? \

I believe this is the thread for rumours and speculation, the other is for news. I think people are just scared to post anything at all though in case they get banned. ;)