Hey everyone, my first post on here I believe but when I saw the contest I had to make something.

So today I started my build and this is where I ended up so far:

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

It was mostly to see whether it would work, especially the rotating blade powered by an RC motor.  I'm pretty happy with the results so far, the chains seem to hold up much better than I had anticipated. Below is also a short video that demonstrates the power and it driving around a bit, which even though very simple seems to work fine. The battery box and receiver are just slapped on top for now to make it work, I've noticed that I'll need a separate battery box for the spinner as well so now it's time to figure out where to leave those, as I'm getting close the the size limit already.

The name is not final by the way, I'm always bad at coming up with those sort of things.

Edited by Rennuh

Simple, yet seems very effective.  The drive is one step above as simple as it gets, yet it works perfectly.  Your bot is not too slow and it not too fast to loose control.  Everyone that is apart of this contest that owns a buggy motor have the right idea to use it for their main weapon.  

Using the power puller wheels is in my opinion the best choice for a bot that can be flipped over, not only is the diameter of the wheel the largest, but the side wall of the tire has a curve to it so it can be on its side and still roll over onto its wheels. Nice choice

Overall, nice progress for only working on it for one day.  What do you still plan to do to it? The battle bot Tombstone would be proud :tongue:

Btw, I hope you do not plan to keep the battery box on the top like that, it not keep you from being able to flip over and still function.  

Yeah I picked the power puller wheels for several reasons, they are heavy, making the bot heavier thus harder to flip or lift, they are strong and could probably take a hit and like you said they are nice and large, which I need so it works upside down as well. 

And yeah I won't keep the battery box on top like that, it just turned out to be easy to temporarily mount it this way for testing. The next step would be to build the chassis really and add some strength. For the look and function of the bot, Tombstone was in fact partly my inspiration, also Carbide from Robot wars which I came across yesterday.

I'll try to keep updating here as I go along

Nice! It looks very effective! How come that I am the only one without power puller wheels?:laugh: I like the new Excavator 1/4 circles, they will be very useful to this competition!

Welcome here!

It is a strong start, I will follow this with great interest. I know, it is a sketch model yet, but brace the portal axles well. :wink: If You achieve to integrate the battery(ies) - actually I see no big issues with only 1 BB -, than I see good chances for your bot.

can't exactly guess the size, but my internal chassis for a carbide replica is really similar to that one, any plan on making a huge carbide but disk armed?

That chain will be blown all over the bot after it hits something hard. Change it to axles and maybe knob wheels.

14 hours ago, PKW said:

can't exactly guess the size, but my internal chassis for a carbide replica is really similar to that one, any plan on making a huge carbide but disk armed?

Carbide was indeed a source of inspiration, I was first thinking about Tombstone but because of the size limits of the contest it would inevitably look more like carbide. The disk was more because a blade like in those two bots is almost impossible to make out of lego without it flexing, a circle (with the new parts) is much stronger.

14 hours ago, M_longer said:

That chain will be blown all over the bot after it hits something hard. Change it to axles and maybe knob wheels.

I thought so too before I started and actually planned on working with rubber band to drive, also to save the motor from the blows, but that didn't work at all. Just tested hitting a wooden plank and the chains held up, even when it came to an immediate stop. I'll show in a video as well when I'm ready to show some progress. But yes more ideally the motor would drive the disk directly even, sitting within the circle but that would require a non symetric disk and I'm not sure it would be strong enough then.

Short update on my bot. Even though it worked ok I decided to change the drivesystem of the disk so it is less prone to failure and also to create room in the 'body' of the bot. So here are some pictures, where you can still kind of see the inside, before it will be obscured by any 'armorplating'. 

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

Also as you can see I changed out the part sticking out of the disk for this part which is made of metal thus heavier and far more destructive. It can also be run in two directions now, one side for blunt hits and the other side to tear stuff off the opponent.

It now also uses the inner output of the buggy motor directly, so less friction and more speed on the disk.

Edited by Rennuh

RC motor and THE metal hooks??!! I report psychotic symptoms here. :laugh: :thumbup: Honestly, this is probably the only option I didn't calculated with.

A bit late to the transmission discussion, but I would use some kind of it to protect the precious RC motor when the spinner stalls. Maybe such rubber tracks would have been useful:

$(KGrHqNHJFQFH+s2IPcNBSGqc!wbyw~~60_1.JP

or the small ones:

s-l300.jpg

Right that would have been ideal in the first setup, unfortunately I don't think they would be long enough though. Anyway it's not needed now anymore but thanks for the suggestions! 

Update on the build:

IMG_0365.JPG

It's not finished yet but you can see where it is going. I'm probably going to change out the black stripe on the side out for grey as well, and furthermore finish the other side in the same way and the bottom is still open as well. 

Love it!! I had an idea for a vertical spinner in my head when this contest first started, but I think yours is better.  :classic:

16 minutes ago, Milan said:

This looks like one of the toughest bots so far.

As a technic moderator fancy pants, are you allowed to be favorable to a contest entry? :laugh:

mum just messing with you Milan, you are right this bot looks tough

This is a very cool entry. It's clean and neat (although I agree the stripe should be yellow to match the spinner), and it even looks like some of the actual 'bots. It also looks like it could really do some damage. Good job!

Massive armour... I am wondering if it is built finally with Sbrick? I can not see sign of the PF receiver's head.

Thanks everyone!

It will probably be Sbrick yes, there is not much room for IR receivers anywhere so that it would still function upside down unfortunately. Just have to find a way to control it and film at the same time now.

Originally I wanted to make it all black with yellow accents around the edges, but I only have grey panels so I'll see what works best.

While I'm waiting for some grey parts for the side I changed the armor a bit making it more 'simple', and also yellow stripes along the edge. But I'm thinking black was better actually, what do you guys think, keep it yellow or back to black?

IMG_0389.JPG

Yellow looks good too, but black is much better, as the weapon pops out much more visually. Gives a bit more scary look overall.

1 hour ago, agrof said:

Yellow looks good too, but black is much better, as the weapon pops out much more visually. Gives a bit more scary look overall.

Agree, back in black!!