Choops

[MOC] [LDD] [WIP] Millennium Falcon

I have been working on a new design for a falcon.  Looking at photos of the ship it has a pretty smooth outer surface.  So I am trying to use as much snot techniques as I can.  The scale is based on the size of the cockpit piece being 8 studs across.  I have imported many photos into a cad program to get the proportions as close as I can.  The dome shape id the hardest area.  Here is what I have so far.  Opinions? remarks?  Should I stop now?  Still a work in progress.

dome_test_4.png

dome_test_1.png

Steve

I'd like to second, third and fourth the other replies.

I have seen a lot of Lego Falcons in my time. This one has enornous potential. I love the way that you've actally made it a proper dome, not a bunch of straight panels.

Do keep it up, please - I'd love to see where this one is going, and you've "proved" the concept.

Also, since you are working in CAD to get it just right, you might find this site interesting, and particuarly these plans of the Falcon.

I have been thinking about this, I'm glad someone is making it possible.

Could you post a side or front picture? I want to see how big is the gap between the hull and the mandible.

That's really nice before you factor in the digital glue that likely holds it all together.

falcon-3-28-17.jpg

Digital glue. LOL

I do try to stagger joints and at least two connecting points for each panel. the mandibles are built directly onto the frame structure.  However The thinness and size of the falcon does not make them very swooshable.

Steve

Very nice! Using the SNOT technique to this degree allows for much greater accuracy and detail. I cant wait to see the finished product.

On 28.3.2017 at 2:09 PM, Choops said:

Should I stop now?

What kind of question is this? :P Of course you can't stop now! :D

I really like your approach to this ship using SNOT for the hull. I don't think I've seen anything like it so far.. Some aspects in your model make me want to reconsider some of the choices I made with my own Falcon..

I'm looking forward to seeing more updates in this thread!

On 28-3-2017 at 9:57 PM, Choops said:

<snip>

Digital glue. LOL

I do try to stagger joints and at least two connecting points for each panel. the mandibles are built directly onto the frame structure.  However The thinness and size of the falcon does not make them very swooshable.

Steve

This looks amazing! If I were you, I'd take some SNOT bricks so you can add some greebles to the body and mandibles. You could use that to get the rest of the piping detail done, as well as everything else. The mandibles could be thickened up a tiny bit, they seem a bit too thin to me. Any chance we could see this with a brick built cockpit? 

Edited by BEAVeR
Please don't quote images

Definitely proceed! Wonderful and inovative approach.

Remarks:

Trying to achieve accurately smooth look of the surface usually leads to highlighting the inevitably remaining inaccuracies, gaps, unevennesses (is that a word :D ?) and odd spots one simply can't avoid in brick world. I suggest you to berak down the uniform snot wall look of the surfaces, not necessarily with some studs but maybe offset tiles and panels, just to raise a little bit of texture which may help the actual 'cracks' between your beautifully shaped sections blend in.

I m a big fan of these - snot wall + plate edge techniques. One thing that doesn't look correct to me on your rendition is the overhang trim edge of the top dome panel. Its just to thick and as it is, you can hardly do anything about it. There I would suggest experimetning witn transitioning from snot to wedge plates so you get the edge thinner. I would prefer that even if an exposed stud price is to pay :)

Don't waste time attempting for brick built cockpit ;) 

I'm in awe of this and I hope you can lead it to a succesful end!

falcon-4-10-17.jpg

falcon-4-10-17b.jpgI was on vacation fro a week.  Here is an update from today.  Soon I am going to have to build a section to test out the design before proceeding.

Steve

Hi Choops, this is looking very promising, great done!

I hope you don't mind but I've updated the thread title for you :classic:

falcon-4-13-17.jpg

Making my way around the ship.  Then back around again for finer details.  Have a happy Easter.

Steve

Can't believe I missed this first time round. Perhaps I wasn't a member at that point! Anyway, any further with this Choops? Also, I am guessing that interior is a no-go with this build. 

falcon-5-12-17.jpg

Small update.  I started to work in the back vents and have been messing with the cockpit interior and structure.  Not sure I am happy with the gaps and need to work on the gaps along the docking tubes.

Steve

On 5/12/2017 at 7:22 PM, Choops said:

falcon-5-12-17.jpg

Small update.  I started to work in the back vents and have been messing with the cockpit interior and structure.  Not sure I am happy with the gaps and need to work on the gaps along the docking tubes.

Steve

awesome work!

did you stop working on it since you haven't posted any updates in nearly a year?

Watch out, you are headed for a disaster!
Seriously and honestly. 

You are modelling your ship in a software which does not handle shadows well (to be honest, I know no lego modelling software which does this right). What looks very nice on these screens will have *VERY* nasty gaps in real life, because how lighting works. I strongly recommend prototyping some of the ship in bricks (for example the dome area where angled sections touch). 

Any chance you could hide or disguise some of these gaps by 

a) Using overlap plates/panels to go across the seam, or

b) implementing some conduit/hose/bar type greebling in and around those seams?

I love the design. It's unique and the proportions look very good to me. I wish you succeed finishing it!