Itaria No Shintaku

The Greatest Collectible Minifigure THANKS AND GOODBYE

:enough: Why the Elf doesn't deserve to win :enough:

1. He's not unique.

BIxeQqH.jpg

2. He's just Legolas with short hair

jYGP7HR.jpg

3. He doesn't deserve much credit for being the first elf released by Lego.  He was released shortly before the first LotR and Hobbit sets were released, and it's almost certain that he was based off of the elves from the LorR and Hobbit sets (not the other way around) and just happened to be released first.

3 minutes ago, Industrial Voodoo said:

He doesn't deserve much credit for being the first elf released by Lego.  He was released shortly before the first LotR and Hobbit sets were released, and it's almost certain that he was based off of the elves from the LorR and Hobbit sets (not the other way around) and just happened to be released first.

All of your reasoning seems a bit harsh. Elf is still the only of it's kind for people that don't use fleshies, he introduced that wonderful new bow, amazing print on body and shield. Overall a wonderful figure and in many people's top 10 or higher, based on comments I've seen.

I agree that the elf is definitely a great minifigure and very near the top of my favorites, but he is matched here against my top favorite CMF to date... so my vote goes to the Scarecrow!

10 hours ago, Industrial Voodoo said:

1. He's not unique.

Actually that pic shows the S3 Elf IS unique. It's the only yellow (male) elf so far

But yeah, vote for the Scarecrow #teamScarecrow

Edited by Robert8

Voted scarecrow... although I don't think it deserves to be called the 'best minifigure', hopefully Satyr wins. Knowing Eurobricks though, Elf is probably going to win. I also liked Elf, but I think he's lost significance after all the LOTR sets. 

A lot of people seem to like the scarecrow for some reason. If they only had a brain......

and don't for get all the Lego SCARECROWS  from the Lego batman theme which came out years ago ...

Edited by 1Panda

Maybe voters like scary things.  Scarecrow and Gargoyle are leading slightly. 

1 hour ago, Industrial Voodoo said:

1. He's not unique.

BIxeQqH.jpg

jYGP7HR.jpg

3. He doesn't deserve much credit for being the first elf released by Lego.  He was released shortly before the first LotR and Hobbit sets were released, and it's almost certain that he was based off of the elves from the LorR and Hobbit sets (not the other way around) and just happened to be released first.

Similar logic can be applied to the Scarecrow. It has a new hat piece but there were several scarecrows that came before it (See: Batman). On the subject of new parts, the Elf has two, and one of them has not been used since. The Elf also contains three exclusive printed parts that are incredibly useful to Castle collectors everywhere. The Elf was based off of LOTR, mostly because Fantasy Era was as well. He exists as a consolation prize to those who wanted an Elf faction back in 2009 but never got one.

I can't believe this is even a discussion. I like both and own both, but the elf is more important. Only yellow male elf, great unique parts including a fantastic shield and great printing. 

I honestly would like an explanation from some people for why they voted for the Scarecrow/Don't like the Elf. The Elf can't help that LOTR just so happened to come out a year later. If a Scarecrow-centric theme had come out right after the Scarecrow, would you all have voted for the Elf using the same argument?

I don't believe anybody has to justify any vote for any Minifig they are doing, whether I'm agreeing to them or not. I have seen quite a lot Minifigs losing in earlier rounds, that I would have preferred to stay in longer. It is how it is. Its a good reminder that not everyone has the same preferences. :wink:

14 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

I honestly would like an explanation from some people for why they voted for the Scarecrow/Don't like the Elf. The Elf can't help that LOTR just so happened to come out a year later. If a Scarecrow-centric theme had come out right after the Scarecrow, would you all have voted for the Elf using the same argument?

It's the first normal (non-spooky) Scarecrow ever

The design overall is beautiful and I'm not afraid to say the Scarecrow is one of the best minifigures ever released by the company

37 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

I voted scarecrow because I own one. I think the elf is incredible, but more printing and having personally owned one give the scarecrow the edge for me. 

Go, Scarecrow! Of the finalists, my favorites were Diver, Hazmat, and Scarecrow. Since my first two favorites were so horribly eliminated, I have to hope my last remaining figure makes it to the finals! Still can't believe the Diver didn't win it all!

I don't really like either the Elf or the Scarecrow but in all honesty, if I can only choose between the two today and I can only buy 1, I'll choose the Elf.

13 hours ago, Industrial Voodoo said:

jYGP7HR.jpg

That picture actually shows the versatility of the S3 elf, compared to the Hobbit version of Legolas, although it is the same with the LOTR version and indeed many of the Hobbit elves.

hairpiece - it is the only yellow eared elf hairpiece

head - it's OK, but nothing special. Easy to switch for army builders.

cape - always nice to get one in green for using on any forestmen

shield - superb for any forestmen

bow - superb for any forestmen, although now more widely available

torso - amazing print for any castle / historic / forest type character - better than the rogue in my opinion, as it doesn't have the wolfpack symbol limiting it. Also easy to swap out arms for army building slight variations - they look great with dark green and any of the earth colours. Print is much nicer than the equivalent LOTR and Hobbit designs for elves. Also easily converted to fleshie if required as no yellow skin print.

legs - again ideal for any castle / historic / forest type character, and can also be used independently of the torso. The print is consistent but not actually continuous, so that print is broken across the torso and legs. The armoured legs can be used spearately.

71002-2.jpg

Compared with the scarecrow

crow - OK, but repeated in many TLR sets so nothing special now

hat - OK, for one or two characters, but cannot be used in quantity as the patch is fairly specific and doesn't look random on more than one character.

head - nice - unique, but no possibility of switching for army building

pitchfork - boring, appeared in loads of sets before and after

torso and legs - nice print, but they have to be used together because of the continuous belt print. You can just about get away with using the torso on its own, but not the legs. So no variation at all if you want multiple scarecrows, as they no longer look like the random collection of clothes they are meant to be.

12 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Yes. Yes I would.

I don't think it's necessary to break down pieces and details - Elf is simply not unique except for his yellow skin. There are about 20 elves from LOTR/Hobbit and all are extremely similar to the S3 elf, of course with better torso printings. When I look at the Elf, I see "just another LOTR elf, except worse". 

Elf for me since he's historical. And for all the discussion about Elf not being original, I think he's original since Lego did him before they did LOTR.

Also, I prefer yellow skin tone.

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

15 minutes ago, Cagast said:

Elf is simply not unique except for his yellow skin. There are about 20 elves from LOTR/Hobbit and all are extremely similar to the S3 elf, of course with better torso printings. When I look at the Elf, I see "just another LOTR elf, except worse". 

He is unique in the sense that none of the parts have been used in any other figure. You may not be able to tell the difference, but he is different from the Hobbit elves. I also prefer the S3 print to the Hobbit ones, so much that I use fleshie heads on the S3 body instead of the Hobbit ones.

But of course, you can use the same argument for the Scarecrow. To some, he is just a lower quality version of the multiple Batman Scarecrows.

I find it interesting how many different types of considerations are used in comparing the figures.

To some, army building is most important.  To others, introduction of new parts is important.  Some like the figure just for face value, independent of reuse and swapping.  Many arguments used against one figure can just as simply be turned against the other figure.

Both Elf and Scarecrow have detailed printing.  Both have torso and legs that are distinctly matched together, though not completely unusable when separated.  Both are an original introduction into the LEGO world.  Both are based on existing stereotypes.  Both are similar in some ways to other figures released by TLG.  Both are distinctly different in some ways than other figures released by TLG (Elf is yellow-skinned, Scarecrow is not based on horror or "evil").  Both have a newly molded headgear.  Both have a newly molded accessory that has been repeated many times since then (crow and bow).  Both have a long-existing accessory that has been utilized by TLG in many sets (shield <with a new print>, pitchfork).  The Elf has a cape, but the Scarecrow has no need for a neckpiece to complete the characterization.  The Scarecrow has arm printing, but the Elf is from series 3 and may have had arm printing if remade in another series (see Elf girl in series 17).

It is possible for a voter to love both figures (as I certainly do) but be required in this game to chose one over the other.  No defense for a vote should be necessary, as this game is so heavily influenced by personal opinion.  Stating why I like the one I chose is a nice discussion, but trying to promote the one I like by tearing down the other seems a bit silly.  Both figures must be liked by some Eurobricks voters if the figures have made it this far in the game.

I am glad both figures have been made, and both have uses in my LEGO experience.

1 hour ago, Slegengr said:

I find it interesting how many different types of considerations are used in comparing the figures.

To some, army building is most important.  To others, introduction of new parts is important.  Some like the figure just for face value, independent of reuse and swapping.  Many arguments used against one figure can just as simply be turned against the other figure.

Both Elf and Scarecrow have detailed printing.  Both have torso and legs that are distinctly matched together, though not completely unusable when separated.  Both are an original introduction into the LEGO world.  Both are based on existing stereotypes.  Both are similar in some ways to other figures released by TLG.  Both are distinctly different in some ways than other figures released by TLG (Elf is yellow-skinned, Scarecrow is not based on horror or "evil").  Both have a newly molded headgear.  Both have a newly molded accessory that has been repeated many times since then (crow and bow).  Both have a long-existing accessory that has been utilized by TLG in many sets (shield <with a new print>, pitchfork).  The Elf has a cape, but the Scarecrow has no need for a neckpiece to complete the characterization.  The Scarecrow has arm printing, but the Elf is from series 3 and may have had arm printing if remade in another series (see Elf girl in series 17).

It is possible for a voter to love both figures (as I certainly do) but be required in this game to chose one over the other.  No defense for a vote should be necessary, as this game is so heavily influenced by personal opinion.  Stating why I like the one I chose is a nice discussion, but trying to promote the one I like by tearing down the other seems a bit silly.  Both figures must be liked by some Eurobricks voters if the figures have made it this far in the game.

I am glad both figures have been made, and both have uses in my LEGO experience.

That's mostly my opinion as well. And if Elf should lose for some reason I'm going to support Faun 100% 

And I've been thinking that Faun is going to win the finals, because no matter who wins in this round there will always be someone that would rather vote for him over the winner of this round. And as expected the voters whose favorite lost will obviously vote for him instead of the one who beat the Minifigure they wanted to win.

thoses were my other thoughts. Ps. Go Elf!  :laugh:

2 minutes ago, 1Panda said:

And as expected the voters whose favorite lost will obviously vote for him instead of the one who beat the Minifigure they wanted to win.

Not necessarily. I'd vote for either of the two current figures over the Faun any day. :wink:

27 minutes ago, 1Panda said:

And as expected the voters whose favorite lost will obviously vote for him instead of the one who beat the Minifigure they wanted to win.

The converse is just as true with those who voted for the diver. Actually the scarecrow beat a lot of figures I like, but I vote for him because he's great and I'm tired of historical/fantasy minifigs winning disproportionately, so I almost never vote for them.

52 minutes ago, Darkdragon said:

Not necessarily. I'd vote for either of the two current figures over the Faun any day. :wink:

Well not everyone of course but certain people on here will. Myself included.

25 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

The converse is just as true with those who voted for the diver. Actually the scarecrow beat a lot of figures I like, but I vote for him because he's great and I'm tired of historical/fantasy minifigs winning disproportionately, so I almost never vote for them.

Whoops forgot about people who voted for the diver.    :wacko: