Wolfman122

Starting Trains without a set?

The City cargo train sets are usually good parts packs to get you started on trains, especially if you get them on offer somewhere.

Depending on what trains you want to build you may not need all the parts though. You don't need magnets to couple cars, there are many solutions with Technic parts, and in many countries trains have no buffers.

You can use the Technic axles and small train wheels but as has been mentioned they have more friction than the metal axles. Unless you plan to use your train in the garden there's no problem with axles rusting.

M motor, s brick, battery box, and a set of the large train wheels = a really cool shunter engine! Like this for example.26965770720_fd436f6923_b.jpg

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

On 4/13/2017 at 1:20 PM, Duq said:

The City cargo train sets are usually good parts packs to get you started on trains, especially if you get them on offer somewhere.

Depending on what trains you want to build you may not need all the parts though. You don't need magnets to couple cars, there are many solutions with Technic parts, and in many countries trains have no buffers.

You can use the Technic axles and small train wheels but as has been mentioned they have more friction than the metal axles. Unless you plan to use your train in the garden there's no problem with axles rusting.

That's great advice! I use custom couplers on my monorails and they work great! But depending on how you design them, they can be a little hard to disconnect.

Here's a great shunter model using a M motor.   https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RQ3QQMQSiWM

Can tire rims be used as train wheels?

I'm still waiting for my train parts order to arrive. In Lego Digital Designer, I can't seem to connect pieces I thought I could for train wheels. I ordered the train wheel that's a "+" with circular hole in the center. Don't know if a cross axle will fit or if a tire axle will. [<-- nevermind, fits bearing snap pin]

Can you use a small drill bit to make 57878 wheel meant for metal rod into a wheel that works with bearing snap pin 10313?

Why isn't 4511 sliding door more permanently available or a variation of it to use as passenger train doors? I only have one of them from Delivery Center, but just realized it seems to be designed to clasp close if used in a pair for left and right.

Edited by BubbaFit45531