Hi,

I was wondering (since I took a break off MOCing with my new 42053) if I should build a big or small car next. I am not really sure because it seems that most people like the big ones the best, which I am capable of building, but I do not find it as fun. Otherwise, the small MOCs I make don't seem very popular. Does anyone have ideas on what size or type (off-road, car,truck) of MOC I should make next?

I build as small as I can for my fun, which doesn´t mean that I like those large and detailed MOCs but deep down I think, how much unused space...

Personally, I like functions, so my models are usually larger, but I try not to build them ridiculously huge. Plus, as Aventador2004 said, keep the tires in mind. If I'm building off blueprints, I try to pick the most accurate tires possible.

Thanks for the advice! I like to build as small as possible, but I always have trouble with the amount of space that I have left. I think that I have a working prototype of a rally car chassis, may be posting the full rally car soon

!33672610805_ac7b15b226_c.jpg

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

1 hour ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Thanks for the advice! I like to build as small as possible, but I always have trouble with the amount of space that I have left. I think that I have a working prototype of a rally car chassis, may be posting the full rally car soon!

As to your question about resizing, if you are using bricksafe then delete your current image then insert a link of one of the smaller pictures that's you want to use. I have. Had to do this quite a bit....:blush:.....

I like to build more like small, because somehow it's easyer. I tried to build something big, but I just can't :D

But it's true, that mostly in TC will win something big, even that there are smaller builds with great engineering, to fit functionality in that smaller model.

You have pretty bad steering geometru there? Why did You add those gears to fron wheels?

My opinion won't come as a surprise I think, but

16 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

I'd say build what you want. I don't build for popularity.

16 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

In @Sariel's book, he says "Build as large as needed, not as large as possible."

IMO that's a great piece of advice he gave.

Pretty much these 2 comments nailed it.

6 hours ago, Jurss said:

I tried to build something big, but I just can't :D

Me neither, I am still trying to figure out my "biggest moc", but looking at Sariel's advice, I technically need to build it even bigger, but making it bigger would be freaking nuts since it's already huge, result: most likely a compromise on the functions :sceptic:

10 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Thanks for the advice! I like to build as small as possible, but I always have trouble with the amount of space that I have left. I think that I have a working prototype of a rally car chassis, may be posting the full rally car

@TechnicRcRacer Click on the picture and resize it

Thanks yet again!

54 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

@TechnicRcRacer Click on the picture and resize it

Haha! I didn't see the options! Thanks!

I'd say that if the only reason you're building big is to build big, you're doing it wrong. That being said, there are plenty of popular MOCs out there that impress with sheer size and they're pretty great and there's nothing wrong with it. It's good to have some diversity. It's just that at some size level you have to wonder if it's the builder's skill that's impressive, or rather his/her budget.

Big is mostly a matter of money and patience. :classic: There's less creativity or skill in a big model, except to make it structurally strong enough.

I've built big, but now I want to build small.  I'm hoping that small RC models are more fun, more performant, and don't take 6-12 months to complete (and £££s of bricklink orders also).  :wink:

Too big, too much time, too little result :grin:

4826895221_59cdc4202b.jpg

Edited by andythenorth

Build to the scale of the wheels - that's perhaps the most logical/reasonable point.

PS. that said, I like to lay my hands on huge wheels :grin:.

On 27/03/2017 at 7:16 AM, Saberwing40k said:

I'd say build what you want. I don't build for popularity.

I agree, I myself always build with functionality in mind first, and then make it look a bit better after I know that it works how I want.

On ‎28‎-‎3‎-‎2017 at 5:09 PM, andythenorth said:

There's less creativity or skill in a big model, except to make it structurally strong enough.

I don't think this is true.

I often think: small models, small problems; big models, big problems. Now this holds especially for cranes, but I think it's true for all models. I think a good big model is just as much a challenge to build as a good small model. The keyword here is "good". The problem is that building a very large good model takes a huge lot of time. Larger costs more time than smaller, and as a result, the "good" is often sacrificed.

For me personally, 2000 parts is about the maximum. If I build much bigger, I usually lose patience before it's done. Maybe for a competition I would have a bit more dedication, but still. My favorite size is about 1200 to 1500 parts.

At least TLG has a very fine explanation why the Bucket Excavator is so big. It's about physics... LOL

Edited by Didumos69

On 2017-03-26 at 9:12 PM, Lego2016Lego said:

I mostly do small, because if you are good at Legos you can pack a lot of details in.

Mine usually end up large... :)