storms26

My Bad Experience with ME Models Curves

On 3/25/2017 at 9:00 AM, zephyr1934 said:

I think it can be safely said that Lego too realized issues with brick built track coming apart in the original 4.5v system.  When they retooled the system in the late '70's they switched from stud attachments on the sleepers to clips.  Sadly most track from the grey-rail era era that was left assembled will have its clips crack off if disassembled today due to stress cracking.  And of course they later went to single piece track sections for the 9v system.  

I think it can be safely said that Lego too realized issues with brick built track coming apart in the original 4.5v system. When they retooled the system in the late '70's they switched from stud attachments on the sleepers to clips. Sadly most track from the grey-rail era era that was left assembled will have its clips crack off if disassembled today due to stress cracking. And of course they later went to single piece track sections for the 9v system.

Since there is such a market for it, I'm surprised Lego hasn't made wider curve track pieces. And you don't have to be a adult to want them. If I was 8 year old I would want them!

LMF

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Since there is such a market for it, I'm surprised Lego hasn't made wider curve track pieces. And you don't have to be a adult to want them. If I was 8 year old I would want them!

LMF

There isn't "such a market" for wider curves. The ME Models Kickstarter project had 260 backers. The absolute minimum run for Lego to produce a set is 10.000. And that's using existing elements. To justify creating a new mold they would have to sell even more than that.

So I'm not surprised Lego aren't making other track geometry pieces.

Unfortunately.

31 minutes ago, Duq said:

There isn't "such a market" for wider curves. The ME Models Kickstarter project had 260 backers. The absolute minimum run for Lego to produce a set is 10.000. And that's using existing elements. To justify creating a new mold they would have to sell even more than that.

So I'm not surprised Lego aren't making other track geometry pieces.

Unfortunately.

Well there are different types of custom track out on the market besides ME Models track, but I guess your right. But seriously, the idea that Lego makes a train motor fast enough that it fly's off their own track at full speed is sad and funny at the same time. So I think Lego's track is definitely in need of an update.

LMF

14 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Well there are different types of custom track out on the market besides ME Models track, but I guess your right. But seriously, the idea that Lego makes a train motor fast enough that it fly's off their own track at full speed is sad and funny at the same time. So I think Lego's track is definitely in need of an update.

LMF

As has been pointed out to AFOL train fans before flying off the tracks is a feature not a bug. The trains are designed to fly off because kids like crashes. It makes them better toys.

44 minutes ago, peterab said:

As has been pointed out to AFOL train fans before flying off the tracks is a feature not a bug. The trains are designed to fly off because kids like crashes. It makes them better toys.

Yes, kids like crashes and are probably a good reason not to make trains with lots of small tiny loose parts.  My cousin's kid came over this month and all he did was play train crash. I found out that my Batman train worked really well as a battering ram knocking other trains off curves at the edge of the table to their exploding demise.  LEGO should make a train battle set with loose tracks and crossover.  :classic:

2 hours ago, peterab said:

Please tell me your joking. No parent is going to spend their hard earned money on a toy so their kid can beat the crap out of it...I hope.

LMF

He's not joking. I'm guessing you don't have children?

Oh, and you know the great thing with Lego? You can put the train back together after the crash!

:-P

1 hour ago, Duq said:

He's not joking. I'm guessing you don't have children?

Oh, and you know the great thing with Lego? You can put the train back together after the crash!

:-P

I'm eighteen and a bicycle mechanic. Why I point out the last one is because I have first hand experience dealing with broken stuff and it is not fun. I guess my attitude affects my other hobby's. LOL

LMF

Just now, LegoMonorailFan said:

I'm eighteen and a bicycle mechanic. Why I point out the last one is because I have first hand experience dealing with broken stuff and it is not fun. I guess my attitude affects my other hobby's. LOL

LMF

But I guess carpets fine. I worry to much.

LMF

On 4/30/2017 at 0:06 PM, LegoMonorailFan said:

Please tell me your joking. No parent is going to spend their hard earned money on a toy so their kid can beat the crap out of it...I hope.

LMF

Oh no, lego trains are incredibly resilient, even many (but not all) MOCs. I've lost count as to how many MOCs of mine that have gone screaming off the table at shows only to crash on a concrete floor, including some of my best MOCs. I've found that the greatest risk is losing a part at a show. Usually I've been able to rebuild within 30 min. While I do my best to avoid table dives, so far the only broken part I suffered was the pin snapping off of a bogie plate. The traditional model railroaders can't say that. If you REALLY want to flinsh, check out what AlmightyArjen has done, e.g., here.

That said, wandering back on topic, the ME R88 and R108 curves allow me to run some of my heaviest trains at top speed. But if you run for a long time the tracks will slowly slide across the floor or table. So it helps to use spacers (either baseplates or 2xn plates) to keep the tracks apart and if on a table, just watch to make sure the tracks do not wander near the edge. This problem has nothing to do with the ME design per say, as it would be true of most curves.

11 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Oh no, lego trains are incredibly resilient, even many (but not all) MOCs. I've lost count as to how many MOCs of mine that have gone screaming off the table at shows only to crash on a concrete floor, including some of my best MOCs. I've found that the greatest risk is losing a part at a show. Usually I've been able to rebuild within 30 min. While I do my best to avoid table dives, so far the only broken part I suffered was the pin snapping off of a bogie plate. The traditional model railroaders can't say that. If you REALLY want to flinsh, check out what AlmightyArjen has done, e.g., here.

That said, wandering back on topic, the ME R88 and R108 curves allow me to run some of my heaviest trains at top speed. But if you run for a long time the tracks will slowly slide across the floor or table. So it helps to use spacers (either baseplates or 2xn plates) to keep the tracks apart and if on a table, just watch to make sure the tracks do not wander near the edge. This problem has nothing to do with the ME design per say, as it would be true of most curves.

Well I guess its not to bad, but I find that Lego bricks do dent if they fall the right way, particularly on the corners. But if it ever happened to me at a show, all the kids would be probably be screaming "Whoa! Cooool!!!". While I'd be screaming in my head (or out loud) "Dang flabbit George Clooney!"

5 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

"Dang flabbit George Clooney!"

I nominate this for "The best use of the name George Clooney in an invective" award!  :laugh:

Edited by Rotundus

4 hours ago, Rotundus said:

I nominate this for "The best use of the name George Clooney in an invective" award!  :laugh:

Thank you! Thank you very much!

About the track... my friend ordered like 3 boxes of me models track. He asked me to bring 25 bottles of super glue to Stick them together. I got to run my holiday train on it first.

I have been working on a different ballasting scheme for ME R104 and R88. I've made small sections but I haven't completed a 90 yet because I don't have all the plate for it. The R88 scheme is ok but the R104 holds together very well. Since Bricktracks will soon be producing solid R104 I don't think I'll bother completing it so I thought I'd share without having tested it. If anyone is interested in the LDD file IM me.

R104.jpg