Mister Phes

1993 LEGO World Expo "Pirates Ahoy" Souvenir Booklet

Would you be interested in looking at it?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in looking at it?

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, TalonCard said:

Not me! I'd love to have a physical copy, but it must have been you or someone else. :pir_laugh2:

I do indeed have a physical copy of the souvenir booklet but it's been so long I don't remember scanning it.

10 minutes ago, TalonCard said:

Yeah, that all-green outfit in the comic was pretty striking. I've been meaning to track down an extra green pirate from the last wave to make a Culverin figure, but I guess I could just use the blue pirate shirt too, haha.

Surely pirates had more than one outfit! :pir-laugh:

2 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

I do indeed have a physical copy of the souvenir booklet but it's been so long I don't remember scanning it.

Surely pirates had more than one outfit! :pir-laugh:

If you go to my site: http://www.wskel.com/sb/pirates/ then click Events click the show book for World 8, 1987-1988 (2 years before the Pirates line debuted) and you will find an earlier model of Captain Red Beard wearing blue!

42 minutes ago, kelceycoe said:

If you go to my site: http://www.wskel.com/sb/pirates/ then click Events click the show book for World 8, 1987-1988 (2 years before the Pirates line debuted) and you will find an earlier model of Captain Red Beard wearing blue!

I did that and it linked me to lws8.zip which was a 9MB download full of images so I'm a bit uncertain exactly which page you're referring to but this one has a pirate in blue on the left...

lws-eight02.jpg

20 minutes ago, kelceycoe said:

Yes the image is in the lws8.zip file.

Ok, you're making this waaaaaaaaaaay harder than it needs to be.

I understand you're trying to drive more traffic to your website but it's unreasonable to expect forum users to visit your site and search through .zip files to locate the correct image.

No one but me will go to that effort.

So the image from my earlier post (also below), is not the image you were referring to?

lws-eight02.jpg

Tx to Adrick Cevallos-Tolliver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg91mo7rE-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2E1dMWwTJ4

Thank you for sharing the link on this topic. I don't know if our pirate is the same as that one, but here are some pictures of how he looks now.
I don't know how we got him into the club.

But I know that the children are overjoyed when they see him at exhibitions and that he continues his life in our club.

Will try te repair him to old glory ;)

312700643-5604454906298014-2437902462916

312728142-1136984243691056-2861813558496

312738015-848031876545915-25800367126159

313027007-3562519730658202-2000939983632

313031120-3562519740658201-1835217222024

Edited by Romanos

47 minutes ago, Romanos said:

image.png

Thank you for sharing the link on this topic. I don't know if our pirate is the same as that one, but here are some pictures of how he looks now. I don't know how we got him into the club.

Fascinating! So you have no idea where he came from?

Wow I would have loved to see this exhibition in person. I went to a LEGO a exhibition in 1990 that was explorer themed. There were LEGO constructions of explorers taken from both history and fiction and included Gulliver of Gulliver’s Travels, Neil Armstrong landing on the moon, Dr Livingstone and the first submarine to descend into the Mariana Trench. I was in awe seeing it all and had the program from the event but alas I am unable to share scans of it like those for the Pirates Ahoy one above as it didn’t stand up to he rigours of time very well. There was also a temporary store and cafe attached to the exhibit and my parents let me buy the LEGO Pirate Minifugres 6521 box and we got hotdogs for lunch. It was fantastic day that stands out in my mind. There is currently a Jurassic World LEGO exhibition featuring LEGO constructs by Ryan McNaught in home city open until February and I’m going to go before it gets taken away. https://exhibition.thebrickman.com

Edited by Pirate_King_1982

Thank you for sharing here! I was going to ask on Facebook; it looks like the figure originally moved his head from side to side; does yours still have that mechanism and does it still work?

It's fantastic to hear that the kids still love Culverin. :pir-grin:

Edited by TalonCard

On 10/29/2022 at 9:25 AM, Mister Phes said:

So you have no idea where he came from?

According to one older member of RLUG Kockice Croatia, the club is current owner of the Culverin, it was acquired into the club via some LEGO store back in 2014/2015 - specific details are at the moment unknown.

Although the original had both hands, this one came with a left hook, which is breaking apart constantly, so the club is considering to use some glue. I kindly pointed out that we could restore him to his original version (without the hook) since I got a feeling that they missed this little but important detail.

Last weekend I had the pleasure to see Culverin in person during the club exhibition in the capital of Croatia, Zagreb. The kids are absolutely crazy about him. Here are some photos and one video.

@TalonCard I was hesitant to try moving the head, but I will try to find out if that's still a working feature. There is a possibility that even the current owners don't know about that. I'll let you know.

Now, to the pictures! :pir-triumph:

(Ahem... I don't why, but for some reason the video does not play for me inside the forum but works well when I click Watch on YouTube)

1280x1707.jpg

1280x1707.jpg

1280x1875.jpg

That's fantastic! He looks so good out there in the world. :) Thank you so much for sharing these pictures and keeping a piece of LEGO Pirate history alive!

On 11/16/2022 at 3:58 AM, Marooned Marin said:

Now, to the pictures! :pir-triumph:

I wonder if I could make a blog post out of him... pir-classicpirates.png

8 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

I wonder if I could make a blog post out of him... pir-classicpirates.png

That would be lovely! :pir-huzzah2:

We need those kind of post, about the LEGO Pirates History, and you already know much about him, and have great images from before and now.

Here are two more images I found on my phone (with a hook) just before the exhibition opened. 

1280x1586.jpg

1280x1398.jpg

On 11/17/2022 at 9:12 PM, Marooned Marin said:

We need those kind of post, about the LEGO Pirates History, and you already know much about him, and have great images from before and now.

Aye, I just haven't figured out how to approach this.

We need a new section for Classic-Pirates.com called "The Vault" or something like that.

Then we can fill it with archival content that doesn't fit within the MOC or News parent categories.

8 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Aye, I just haven't figured out how to approach this.

We need a new section for Classic-Pirates.com called "The Vault" or something like that.

Then we can fill it with archival content that doesn't fit within the MOC or News parent categories.

I whole-heartedly support this idea!

8 hours ago, PxChris said:

I whole-heartedly support this idea!

You, myself and @TalonCard seem to have a lot of LEGO Pirates promotional material and related memorabilia we could put in there.

And we've all shared some in this forum or via social media, but eventually it get buried and often forgotten.

So an intuitive web interface could make it vastly more accessible.

Although, in the case of Culverin, I probably should obtain high resolution scans of the the Pirates Ahoy Expo booklet first to provide the necessary context - I think the original scans from 2005 are only 600x800 so not really holding up to today's display standards.