madsen1997

LEGO Technic Mercedes Benz Zetros 3643 AS6x6 Crewcab Tractor Truck

Hi everybody. 

last month I started a new project, while my 42043-C Unimog U4000 is on standby.

I kinda like the Mercedes Benz team. so this one will be another Zetros. 

while my 42043-C Zetros was a C-model, this Zetros 3643 AS 6x6, will be way bigger, and not a C-model.

Below is the blueprint I'm actually building from. 

Crewcab Right

been during a lot of research, blueprints and calculated a proper scale many times..... 

so by basing the scale on the wheels I figured out that a 1:12.5 scale would fit very well. I got some RC wheels 108mm, which kinda looks like the Zetros tires, but the Claas Tractor tires will fit the model very well too.

15220159_1885820268317802_567731185391242081_n.jpg?oh=ad598427afe74cd69881a63ac62f4b72&oe=58FCA466

Now let me show some pictures of my actual model so far.

This one was my first atempt to build a proper fitting chassis for the Zetros

20161230_114637

But after a month with rebuilds and testing, I got to scrap that design, as the gearbox wasn't strong enough to power 3-4 kg of lego. also was the chassis a bit to flexible.

so during january I ended up with this design:

16806807_1938599236373238_6861122551571709795_n

And by now I have finished most of the chassis, on moved on to the cab.

17265270_1961734384059723_6879941865459531797_n

As told it is the CrewCab model I'm building, mostly because it is the one I like most, and think it fits the size of the truck very well. 

17343036_1960708667495628_1927478934305743468_n

By finishing the Chassis, it also means that bumbers and headlights are done. I'm not quite sure about the headlights yet, but it will work for now.

17361643_1962318550667973_8640342294399147488_n

The picture above, is the current prgress. 

17458030_1963630397203455_4860663238016084621_n (1)

More will follow.

more pictures at: https://flic.kr/s/aHskRFHEQB

Edited by madsen1997

WOW this one is huge, really huge, very nice details :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is really cool, i have been following the progress of your model in Facebook for some time and i liked it from the first time i saw it, good scale (matching the 8110), strong design and nice details, the winches are amazing and they actually are realistic because there are some Zetros which use built-in winches; the axles seem strong as well, i am impressed that actually this model could be converted into a 6 wheel steering; the RC tires will make it look great, they match the real life 16.00 R20 53" tall tires, which definitely look good on the Zetros, the chassis seems to be big enough for such big model, you can surely expect some bending and torsional flexibility, but after all it is Lego and not metal, and the truck actually has a incredible torsional flexibility of the chassis, so the model will also have even more realism, the cab looks amazing too, most people would consider that 4 seats is not enough, but it is OK for me because the people which would be in the truck might have some big equipment and gears to transport inside the cab (As i know, this variant of the truck is meant to be used in mining-like logistic operations) and you are able to add some other seats, but seems enough good like that; i must say that the model looks incredibly well, i am amazed how you put so many functions and details in a so compact design, even fake engine, i hope to see some more updates soon, and thank you for sharing.

This is awesome! The function incorporated are cool, and the scale is great. :thumbup: Would you be willing to share the cab LDD? I am interested the construction of the integrated front winch and bumper.

Looking good:thumbup:

I really like the red chassis. It brings back memories of a cool 6 wheeled truck in one of the old LEGO Technic idea books that I drooled over as a kid. Nostalgia...:wub:

Well, reading your comments made me really happy, Thnx guys, I'm really glad you like it so far.:wub:

Newer seen the truck irl, while there is only 1 zetros in whole Denmark. So the build are only based on pictures and data, blueprint etc.*huh*

I'm going to make instructions for it, but dono when. While I have 2 finish school also.

I don't mind share my progress so far. Just need some more time. :grin:

Edited by madsen1997

19 hours ago, madsen1997 said:

Hi everybody. 

last month I started a new project, while my 42043-C Unimog U4000 is on standby.

I kinda like the Mercedes Benz team. so this one will be another Zetros. 

while my 42043-C Zetros was a C-model, this Zetros 3643 AS 6x6, will be way bigger, and not a C-model.

Below is the blueprint I'm actually building from. 

been during a lot of research, blueprints and calculated a proper scale many times..... 

so by basing the scale on the wheels I figured out that a 1:12.5 scale would fit very well. I got some RC wheels 108mm, which kinda looks like the Zetros tires, but the Claas Tractor tires will fit the model very well too.

Now let me show some pictures of my actual model so far.

This one was my first atempt to build a proper fitting chassis for the Zetros

But after a month with rebuilds and testing, I got to scrap that design, as the gearbox wasn't strong enough to power 3-4 kg of lego. also was the chassis a bit to flexible.

so during january I ended up with this design:

And by now I have finished most of the chassis, on moved on to the cab.

As told it is the CrewCab model I'm building, mostly because it is the one I like most, and think it fits the size of the truck very well. 

By finishing the Chassis, it also means that bumbers and headlights are done. I'm not quite sure about the headlights yet, but it will work for now.

The picture above, is the current prgress. 

More will follow.

more pictures at: https://flic.kr/s/aHskRFHEQB

I hope that you have enough electric motors to power all the functions + drive and steer, otherwise you'll have just nice (enormus) display model.

Btw very interesting idea for axles and chassis looks stiff enough. Cab is really nice :thumbup:

Since my Unimog U423 is in reconstructing phase to make it in 1:18 scale...something like your U4000 and U5023 in in future plans, perhaps I'll think about Zetros 4 wheeler, but for now I'll just follow your development. 

In one word: WOW! *huh* This thing is going to be very cool.

As you said, you have scrapped the gearbox.. Is there a gearbox in the new chassis? 

51 minutes ago, Paul Klop said:

In one word: WOW! *huh* This thing is going to be very cool.

As you said, you have scrapped the gearbox.. Is there a gearbox in the new chassis? 

Nope,  in the new there's no gearbox. The model are powered by 2 xl motors, 1 mounted on the front axle, and the second one mounted on the rear axles.... 

The old gearbox was geared really low, but could handle the Weight still, axle and gears got broken due the high torque.:grin:

With the new chassis, it drives a little faster, but still have enough torque to handle to haul a big trailer:blush:

I found a really interesting page about the Eurosatory event of 2016, there are some pretty nice vehicles, including a single-cab Zetros 3643 6x6 tractor unit, the truck has 16.00R20 XZL tires in the front and 24R20.5 XS in the rear axles, it also has 2 spare 16.00 XZL tires and 2 winches with 30t of capacity each, here is the site http://www.ditzj.de/html/en/events/esat2016/esat20164.html and a couple of pictures:

esat2016_36.jpg esat2016_38.jpg

There is also a similar unit which was manufactured by a company called Paul Nutzfahrzeuge, it is a 3643 too and has the same tires, the difference are that this one doent have the winches and the fifth wheel, instead it has double cab and a cargo-box here is a picture of it and a video: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f6/11/01/f61101b1cc63e5cdf40dea237be141e3.jpg

I must say that your model looks very similar to these ones, is impressive how detailed they are.

It's HUGE!  I like it a lot, the front you have in LDD looks really cool. IMO this is like 42070 but better in every way!  :tongue: 

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

Well, I don't actually know if a 3643 CrewCab Tractor unit exists. 

But this one has been my main inspirations. But it is a 293300491384.jpg

z19573648IE,Mercedes-Zetros.jpg but the idea of my zetros build, started after seeing this 3643 AS tractor truck in a YouTube video 

I not sure either if there exist a 3643 crew-cab tractor unit, the only ones might be aftermarket modifications like the ones i posted before, by the way, i saw a video too some time ago (might be the same as the one you saw), and that was the moment when i started to like the Zetros, is very cool how they also showed the old L-series truck compared to the Zetros, just as the video says "The legacy continues...":

15 hours ago, madsen1997 said:

Nope,  in the new there's no gearbox. The model are powered by 2 xl motors, 1 mounted on the front axle, and the second one mounted on the rear axles.... 

The old gearbox was geared really low, but could handle the Weight still, axle and gears got broken due the high torque.:grin:

With the new chassis, it drives a little faster, but still have enough torque to handle to haul a big trailer:blush:

Okay sounds very cool :classic:! I'm waiting for the next update :wink:

2 hours ago, Kmuffin said:

So are you gonna build a cargo box,tipper bed or anything on back of it?

So far i will mount a 5th wheel, for a lowbed trailer, maybe a tibber trailer later. 

But there's plenty of room, so a cargobox, flatbed, crane will be possible to build:grin:

15 hours ago, Imanol BB said:

I not sure either if there exist a 3643 crew-cab tractor unit, the only ones might be aftermarket modifications like the ones i posted before, by the way, i saw a video too some time ago (might be the same as the one you saw), and that was the moment when i started to like the Zetros, is very cool how they also showed the old L-series truck compared to the Zetros, just as the video says "The legacy continues...":

It is exactly the same video :wink:

Edited by Milan
Removed quoted video from few posts back.

I have found some very interesting options for the trailer, in case of a tipper trailer you could make something like this, which is used in underground mining, is a very original trailer and it might be capable to take some off road operations:

85ce95d5b36bfcfa_800x800ar.jpg

But in the case you would want to make a low bed, you can go for this one, which is similar to the one used in the video, it is built by Kamag, is used for operations in the desert, it has 5 axles with 10 24R21 XZL tires (plus 2 spare), it also has a power unit in the front (one of those boxes) for the hydraulic drive of the second axle for speeds of 25km/h to assist the tractor unit if needed, it also has steering in 3 of the axles and all the axles can be lifted, it has a capacity of 70 tonnes, it would be a very cool addition to the Zetros with all those functions:

esat2016_15.jpg esat2016_14.jpg

I will see what else could work for the truck, and i will investigate something about chassis-mounted implements, such as the crane.

4 hours ago, madsen1997 said:

So far i will mount a 5th wheel, for a lowbed trailer, maybe a tibber trailer later. 

But there's plenty of room, so a cargobox, flatbed, crane will be possible to build:grin:

Okay then I will be eagerly waiting for a cargobox or flatbed :sweet:. If your building a crane you might need something giant Like the crane from Lucio's truck. Except a bit smaller

Edited by Kmuffin

On 3/24/2017 at 8:55 PM, madsen1997 said:

Well, I don't actually know if a 3643 CrewCab Tractor unit exists. 

But this one has been my main inspirations. But it is a 2933

but the idea of my zetros build, started after seeing this 3643 AS tractor truck in a YouTube video 

It looks like you want to make this (Mercedes Zetros 3646 Crew-cab)