Sign in to follow this  
miobricks

[WIP][MOC] Technic Car Inspired by the Lexus GSF

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share my WIP MOC which I am currently working on. It is inspired by the V8 sedan Lexus GSF. Oh, and this is my first ever MOC project.

It will have:

- front mounted fake v8 engine with rear wheel drive.

- manual transmission with H pattern shifter

- separate modules, it can be easily put together / taken apart back to individual modules, mainly because I like to tinker with them. For example if the suspension is not working, I can modify the front axle / rear axle and hopefully it will still fit in with the rest of the build

Things still undecided:

- PF / Remote or fully manual

- how to build the body >> this is where all the other threads are great for inspiration!

The modules I have done so far in LDD are front axle, back axle, fake v8 engine, transmission/gear box, and frame. There will be more modules for dashboard + steering wheel, and body. Here is the LDD screen shot of all the modules together. Screenshots of the Individual modules are in flickr.

32425944443_4f56b4007a_c.jpg

step 6: put all components together by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

I spent a lot of times on the gear box, it is scratch build because I want it to as flat as possible as it will sit underneath the seats.

Then, I move on to real bricks (this is where the fun begins), and so far I have front axle, v8 engine and gear box. There was a lot of modifications which I did on the fly as there are issues with the LDD design, like the gears won't connect properly or there wasn't enough bracing.

33468003576_6532a7ffa6_c.jpgP1190753 by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

33509255375_dcc202b376_c.jpgP1190761 by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

33468017526_5655534dfe_c.jpgP1190763 by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

Currently I am working on the frame:

33380612731_4255d34504_c.jpgP1190767 by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

There are some more photos on Flickr, I didn't want to make this post too long.

Questions/comments/inputs are greatly appreciated.

Nice concept! And welcome! One remark: I see quite some connections established with axles and secured with yellow half bushes. I think it's better to make use of pins as much as possible. One question: How do you tie the frame to the bottom of the suspension modules? I hope not only with vertical pins, because then the weight of the car will eventually detach the frame from the suspension modules.

Btw, if you share the LXF-file we can give better feedback.

7 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

interesting concept.....looking forward to more progress!!

4 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Nice concept! And welcome! One remark: I see quite some connections established with axles and secured with yellow half bushes. I think it's better to make use of pins as much as possible. One question: How do you tie the frame to the bottom of the suspension modules? I hope not only with vertical pins, because then the weight of the car will eventually detach the frame from the suspension modules.

Btw, if you share the LXF-file we can give better feedback.

Nice pickup on the yellow half bushes. They are nice during the design iteration because they are easy to pick apart. Once the design is finalised I'll change them to pins.

The suspension module will connect to the frame using methods similar to the gearbox, there will be a protruding beam towards the bottom and it will be fixed in place using axle and yellow half bushes or using some sort of quick release pin. Of course it isn't there yet because I have yet to build it in :grin:.

As for the LXF file, let me clean it up first, as it no longer reflects what has been built because I have made lots of changes on the fly during the actual build without updating the drawings.

Concept is interesting, but when I Google a little bit, suspension and drive train looks like this. I hope this info is useful

5 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Concept is interesting, but when I Google a little bit, suspension and drive train looks like this. I hope this info is useful

Thanks for the info.

The position of the gearbox in my build was inspired by the real thing (the cylinder shape sitting low behind the engine is the gearbox, isn't it?), only problem is the size of the gearbox in lego is much larger in relation to engine when compared to the real thing. See this screenshot of the design showing the gearbox connected to the back of the engine: 

32425742723_c98f3737c7.jpg

step 3: engine and gearbox (4 speed manual transmission gearbox with h-pattern shifter) by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

The suspension, however, is way off, I might have to revisit them later. :grin:

21 minutes ago, miobricks said:

Thanks for the info.

The position of the gearbox in my build was inspired by the real thing (the cylinder shape sitting low behind the engine is the gearbox, isn't it?), only problem is the size of the gearbox in lego is much larger in relation to engine when compared to the real thing. See this screenshot of the design showing the gearbox connected to the back of the engine: 

step 3: engine and gearbox (4 speed manual transmission gearbox with h-pattern shifter) by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

The suspension, however, is way off, I might have to revisit them later. :grin:

I agree, usually there are several levels where manufacturers bring gearbox shafts in real cars, but (so far) LEGO gearboxes are actually flat models, because otherwise they are not usable. Real car has 8 speed transmission which will be using 5 driving rings and some 11 studs wide and that is huge in comparison to usual wheel / tire combination (81,6 overall diameter)...that is why (when I'll find time for car building) I stick to something like this.

Edited by I_Igor

Latest update on my project:

Completed the rear axle module, the idea is to match the dimensions and more importantly to match spring positioning of the front, so the hardness and the travel of the rear suspension matches the front:

33656132726_5e11236f01_z.jpg
P1190808 by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

Modified the front axle module:

I have increased the mounting points from 2 to 4 points, this improves the robustness of the connection to the frame. Here is the upside down picture of the module:

32854371234_61a2dca138_z.jpg
P1190807 by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

Mounting the front axle module to the frame: 
you can see the quick release pin which clicks in to secure the module in place

33697178825_a1fde1dd85_z.jpg
P1190813 by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

Here my cat decides to jump in into the photoshoot:

33697172845_d2641ac4fc_z.jpg
P1190823 by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

Mounted the gearbox module, you can see the space for the v8 engine:

32883887003_9affc9dd90_z.jpg
P1190824 by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

Engine mounted and rear axle module in place:

33697167195_6dbdb03b86_z.jpg
P1190828 by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

Work is now on the steering:
I am trying to put HOG steering at the back, put I cannot put the connecting axle through the middle area because the gearbox has taken all the space.
So I am connecting the steering rod to the steering wheel, and using extra gears to continue the connection to an axle which will run underneath the front seat
to the HOG at the back of the car.
This is the prototype of the steering mechanism:

33312997070_a539a51e9d_z.jpg
P1190831 by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

To make things more complex, I am also thinking to have PF functions, 2x L motor for drive and servo for steering. 
The motors for drive will connect to the gearbox from the rear, the picture below shows 2 axles coming out from behind the gearbox. 
The left axle is the output axle which connects to the rear wheels, the right axle will connect to the L motors.

33468017526_5655534dfe_z.jpg
P1190763 by Andy Tanuwidjaja, on Flickr

Not sure if it will all fit nicely, will see how it goes.

Also still cleaning up the lxf drawing, will share the lxf once it is clean and up to date. 

Thanks!

Nice progress! I also like the modular setup. Would be nice if you could somehow extend the mid-console (the H-frame around the gearbox handle) to the rear suspension, just to make the chassis more sturdy.

Nice work! The front suspension is  really interesting. I feel like the transmission might be a bit too far back, but great start man!

Thanks Everyone! :sweet:

17 hours ago, letsbuild said:

I think I'll reverse engineer this, or wait for the instructions because it looks great!

Thanks! At the rate it is going now, it will be while before it is finished and then instructions follows after :grin:

17 hours ago, tomek9210 said:

I like the module-build in this model. Have you thought about more sophisticated suspension?

I am open for changing the suspension later, however it is not a priority at the moment.

But hey, that is what modular builds are for, you can easily take the front and rear axle modules out at a later stage and make changes and put it back in. 

14 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Nice progress! I also like the modular setup. Would be nice if you could somehow extend the mid-console (the H-frame around the gearbox handle) to the rear suspension, just to make the chassis more sturdy.

Yes I agree, now that I can actually pick up the chassis I noticed that section needs more work. Also the side parts are still a bit flimsy.

Still thinking how to progress, it is all about the trade off: modularity vs. robustness :cry_sad:

12 hours ago, therealjustin said:

Really looking forward to seeing how you progress with this. We need more sedans in Technic!

Yes, more sedans please :laugh:

10 hours ago, Lox Lego said:

Nice work! The front suspension is  really interesting. I feel like the transmission might be a bit too far back, but great start man!

Cool, so when you say the transmission might be too far back, you meant the transmission stick? I will keep an eye on it.