Sign in to follow this  
PaulC

PaulC joins the Arms Race

indexed.gif

After observing the arming up of it's neighbouring city-states, New Block City has decided to create it's own military and join the EN purely for it's own defense. Our largest (and only) arms manfacturer, the General Block Corporation, also sees this a an opportunity to export it's unique weapons designs to other members and make a quick buck or two!

Inspired by the beautiful green military vehicles of Doctor Sinister, the General Block Corporation's designs are compact enough to fit down your city streets and are thus ideal for urban conflicts. I want to continue to experiment with these models, so I'll be updating this topic as and when I come up with new designs.

Here is picture of the entire army so far, waiting to cross the border at Checkpoint Timmy (Sort of like Checkpoint Charlie, only the guy manning the guard hut has a Timmy face! :-D ).

2332010800_6c73da35f6_o.jpg

The latest addition is the ultra-compact T700 Main Battle Tank (more details in a post below):

2331181195_7752b0b9be.jpg

The T4837 Light Truck (cargo version) is made almost entirely from 4837 Mini Trains adding just 5 pieces plus a minifig:

2221593590_141efc1a94_o.jpg

Add a few more bricks, and it becomes a fighting truck!

2220800921_e11eb9f21f.jpg

Note the nifty folding tailgate:

2221593704_5a98108501.jpg

The left over wheels from 4837 have been used in the T38 Armoured Personnel Carrier. It's armed with two forward-facing mortars and four machine gun ports, two on each side:

2220801251_4dca9ff6ee.jpg

The APC can carry two soldiers as well as the driver, with storage for their guns on the inside of the rear door:

2221593914_fcdb611acd.jpg

Edited by imperialshadows

Very cool! I love the APC, those wheels looks great on it! Good job in fitting minifigs inside it too! *y* The light truck is also quite neat, and the battle modification is nice and simple, talk about a drive-by!

~Peace

These things are adorable! *wub*

You are a talented builder PaulC to make such good vehicles out of such limited materials. I love the APC, as iamded stated the wheels look perfect for it, and the fact that it can carry a minifig in the back is brilliant. Not sure how he'll get out though :-P

The fighting truck also looks great, I can't believe you made that almost entirely just from the train set.

New Block City's armed forces are looking very cute but great!

Batbrick Something! *wacko*

I love the APC, as iamded stated the wheels look perfect for it, and the fact that it can carry a minifig in the back is brilliant. Not sure how he'll get out though :-P
I wanted to make the APC very compact so it would fit inside a transporter that I'm working on. However, you've spotted it's major drawback: It's so compact that I can't get the driver and the two soldiers out without taking the whole model apart. I just have to imagine they climb out... somehow! :-D

I wanted to make the APC very compact so it would fit inside a transporter that I'm working on. However, you've spotted it's major drawback: It's so compact that I can't get the driver and the two soldiers out without taking the whole model apart. I just have to imagine they climb out... somehow! :-D

They'll get out sideways I'm sure :-D

Still, its very good the way it is so I'd leave it if I were you *y*

Batbrick Something! *wacko*

These are great PaulC! *y*

I love how cute the APC looks. *wub*

They're such great alternates ( Including 5 pieces that is ;-) ) for such small sets.

I'd like to see some more of these from you!

*sweet*

New from the General Block Corporation - the latest addition to New Block City's army is the ultra compact T700 Main Battle Tank:

2331181195_7752b0b9be.jpg

The main gun raises and lowers on click-hinges, the turret rotates, and it has a nasty surprise under the hood - a quadruple-barrelled forward facing mortar for demolishing obstacles. The single pilot controls all these functions with the help of onboard radar tracking and auto-targetting systems.

2331181003_20457c8411.jpg

Rear view showing heat exhausts:

2332010882_90bc4e5d32.jpg

Although it looks like a hover tank, it actually runs on 10 steel-tyred wheels designed to cause minimum damage to tarmac surfaces, whilst still being able to withstand a direct hit from a small mine.

2332010626_7d13f9590e.jpg

Click here to view my Lego Factory Gallery where you can now order this model. Please Note: The bricks are ordered directly from The Lego Company, so no actual money will go to the fictional General Block Corporation or to myself.

Edited by PaulC

Thanks for your kind comments, all.

I like your tank so much, I'm going to order 2 - right now.

Dr. S.

Ooh! My first customer! Hang on a minute, doesn't this make me an international arms dealer? 8- Edited by PaulC

An extremely clever tank design that is adorable and prety much perfect! Great job!

To the Bricksignal! >:-)

Thanks for your kind comments, all.

Ooh! My first customer! Hang on a minute, doesn't this make me an international arms dealer? 8-

I did genuinely order them by the way, I'll post pix when I get them.

Dr. S.

Thanks, that's so cool.

But I've got some bad news. Product testing of the T700 has revealed a fatal flaw. The driver is in constant danger of getting his head shot off! I've been trying to adapt the original design to include a hatch so the driver can duck down (actually, remove the minifig) and close the hatch to protect himself.

Here are the extra bricks you'll need for each tank:

2351065155_88066d8e5f.jpg

And here is the modified tank:

2351895660_85077bf1c0.jpg

Click here to view my Lego Factory Gallery where you can order the old version and the new verison, or just download the .lxf files so you can build it from your own bricks.

You will still need to add this part 48336.gif from your own collection as it not available from Lego Factory.

That sure is a compact army. :-)

Will you also make a cute little helicopter to go with the other vehicles?

A helicopter! What a great idea, I'll have to start working on that one. Edited by PaulC

Attention PaulC - the arms shipment has arrived! Alas, I neglected to download the original instructions (prior to the modification) but I'm sure it'll be fine...

Dr. S.

OK, here are the Tanks! Sorry for the rushed pictures, don't have time to mount my full setup tonight.

Prior to acceptance into the Tabletown Army, we have made a few minor modifications to ensure compliance with TA standards and similarity with other Army vehicles serving in the forces. These modifications include some small reinforcement of the ground plates, the addition of lights and vent grilles near the front glacis. As a result of these changes, the type has been designated as the T700TT1A (T700 Tabletown 1 Alpha) variant.

Here we see two new recruits eager to try out their vehicles (note that they have not been yet formally accepted into the Tank Corps as they maintain their green sleeves, whereas fully qualified operators and drivers have a yellow right sleeve):

1.jpg

A side view which shows the addition of the lights:

2.jpg

Elevated gun, note the new front/top grilles:

3.jpg

Ready to roll!

4.jpg

Dr. S.

Edited by Doctor Sinister

These are so green and army like :-P Doc S could've made them himself (that's a compliment by the way)

That's fantastic Dr. S! I really like your modifications, especially the front and rear lights. It really reinforces the idea that these compact tanks are designed to patrol city streets, and therefore need to be "street legal".

I'm sorry that I got rid of the original .lxf file before you had a chance to download it. If you check out my Lego Factory Galley you'll find that I've put it back up so you can grab a copy if you want.

You'll also see there are some new models there too. I've just got back from a holiday in Norfolk where I got the chance to visit The Muckleborough Collection of military vehicles which has given me lots of inspiration! I'll be posting details of these new models soon.