Doesn't look like a lot, but I livestreamed on my Facebook page today and made some good progress.

35718070522_33e22bda5c_c.jpg
Progress! by VKTechnic, on Flickr

In 5 hours or so, I rebuilt the front end a few times to get the winch installed and working, reinforced the transfer case, and got the majority of the bumper assembled. Going to be livestreaming again tomorrow, goal for tomorrow is to finish the front bumper, rough in the rear tire carrier, and start work on the roll cage that the rest of the body will attach to (the bodywork will be removable, so the structure holding the bodywork together will resemble a roll cage).

Figured I should also mention that there's a looming deadline for this project. I'm planning on attending Bricks By The Bay (August 4-6), so this model needs to be done by the end of the month. A lot of work ahead!

1 hour ago, VKTechnic said:

I'm planning on attending Bricks By The Bay (August 4-6), so this model needs to be done by the end of the month. A lot of work ahead!

Me too! Which section will your models be in? Hope to see you there!

30 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I wish I could go to a event like that (I live on opposite side of the U.S. Than you most likely) . I attended a show and tell session with one of my best supercars once.

Edited by Aventador2004

3 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Probably in the Scale Models section, since there isn't a Technic section.

Today's livestream showed some serious progress!

35738608352_ea5c2a4a01_c.jpg
Livestream 2 Progress! by VKTechnic, on Flickr

Started off today by reinforcing the front end and building a skidplate. After building the axles in blue, looks like I'm out of 9L liftarms in that color, so time to order some more! :pir-murder: Once the front end was done, I made a jig for the rollcage, which needed to be 22 studs wide on the bottom, and 15 on the top. A bit of fiddling later, and the rollcage took shape:

35738614772_afb939b811_c.jpg

With the rollcage done, I moved to the rear of the car. Chassis got some much needed reinforcement before the tire carrier could be attached, and I relocated the receivers in the process.

35738611272_acb65a0a0d_c.jpg

Ended the livestream with a rattled brain. Since the chassis is an odd width and the rollcage is an even width (with doors on the outside of it), I need to figure out a good way to mate the two together. In the meantime, the only two attachment points are in the rear, behind the tire carrier and (nonexistent) trunk.

35867521396_97f5557116_c.jpg

I'll need to sleep on the rollcage mounting problem, and I'll hopefully have an answer by the start of tomorrow's livestream. In the meantime, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the progress so far!

Looking good so far! It's very cool. But why are you using blue axles, instead of something more discreet, even if the whole model is blue? Or will you change it later?
For the even/odd situation, a piece I find useful (other than offset connectors, such as this) is https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=2853. Picture: Lego Technic Engine Crankshaft

I'm looking forward to the final product, it should be awesome, and BIG.

Just now, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Looking good so far! It's very cool. But why are you using blue axles, instead of something more discreet, even if the whole model is blue? Or will you change it later?
For the even/odd situation, a piece I find useful (other than offset connectors, such as this) is https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=2853. Picture: Lego Technic Engine Crankshaft

I'm looking forward to the final product, it should be awesome, and BIG.

I've used a couple of those pieces already, as well as these: 

32138.jpg?0

As for why the axles are blue, here's a picture of the XTerra I'm modeling:

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Just now, VKTechnic said:

As for why the axles are blue, here's a picture of the XTerra I'm modeling:

Is that yours? :laugh: it would be nice to own the car you are modeling....

Just now, Aventador2004 said:

Is that yours? :laugh: it would be nice to own the car you are modeling....

Nope, a friend's :classic: 

33 minutes ago, VKTechnic said:

here's a picture of the XTerra I'm modeling:

Well now I'm even more excited. :moar:

34 minutes ago, VKTechnic said:

I've used a couple of those pieces already, as well as these: 

32138.jpg?0

Those are useful, too. :thumbup:

Another day of progress, albeit a little slower today.

35538564320_49c732346f_c.jpg
Slow day by VKTechnic, on Flickr

Started today's livestream with cable management, and finally got all the cables in order with the addition of a manual light switch. Then came the rough bodywork, and I finished the day with a rough hood, dashboard, and trunk:

35886353506_a4d8f19231_c.jpg

The rear is missing two of these (in a fairly obvious spot), but that won't be for long.

35538567770_99a5a2d7ae_c.jpg

Won't be making much more progress this weekend, but next week the livestreams will continue!

Bricks By The Bay is right around the corner, and boy am I not ready at all :grin:

35399123974_4ac3d26bf1_c.jpg
Almost there! by VKTechnic, on Flickr

By not ready at all, I mean that my model is 99% done, weighs enough to overload my kitchen scale, and I still need to make a spec sheet and pack. Other than that, this week has shown a lot of progress on the bodywork, only a few tweaks left to go (looking at you, red skid plate beams):

36067121752_a76275c2ea_c.jpg

Doors and hood open (trunk and spare tire carrier still work too :wink:), and the interior is simple, but it does the job.

35427814213_54a196832e_c.jpg

I'm pretty worn out from building, but if anyone's interested, I'll be doing the final tweaks live on my Facebook page this Sunday at 6PM PDT. I'm in the final stretch!

Wow, that is one mean (and BIG) truck! Looking very good in DBG with the blue accents. Not the easiest color to build in with the lack of available panels, but you pulled it off:thumbup:

14 hours ago, VKTechnic said:

Bricks By The Bay is right around the corner, and boy am I not ready at all :grin:

I thought I had too much:laugh:

This is excellent! I like the side doors and the spare tire holder! Can't wait to see this in person!

Very nice:thumbup:
I must admit that halfway the build I was not sure where this heading to, but now that everything is in the right colours it really is pulled together beautiful. I love that dark bluish gray and blue colourscheme. :wub: very original. I assume those red wedge plates above the headlights will become dark bluish gray as well?

I probably have missed it, but is the lighting all done with PF leds? Or did you use some third party parts?

It's been slow in my workshop, but I'm still alive.

37073087931_e45f1c7c01_c.jpg
Still Alive by VKTechnic, on Flickr

Work's been keeping me busy, and I had a couple non-Lego projects come up. XTerra progress was slow, but I rebuilt almost the entire chassis to replace the transfer case. Small details here and there are slowly being added, and I'll probably consider this model done after I show it at BrickCon. Speaking of, I've got something special in the works for BrickCon, expect a teaser soon...

Edited by VKTechnic

2 minutes ago, VKTechnic said:

Wow! Super impressive! I hate having to rebuild everything for one piece.

Edited by Aventador2004
Autocorrect!

On 7/29/2017 at 10:49 PM, Jeroen Ottens said:

I probably have missed it, but is the lighting all done with PF leds? Or did you use some third party parts?

All LEGO, 12 pairs of PF LEDs for the whole model.