All my parts are spare parts :-) I find it to expensive just to sit on a shelf... about 60k of those spares - well some are not technic...

I have about 10,000 parts and the only set I own is 42056 (2704 parts). So about 7.5k spare parts. 15 month ago I had nothing.

Edited by Didumos69

According to Rebrickable I have 84k parts out of which 22k are spare parts. Recently I got bitten by System bricks so numbers have increased quite a bit. Technic is majority still and I hope will be.

To compliment this post I think a different, but related question might be where do you store all your bricks?  I know we have a "workstation" thread already...... but for those with tens of thousands, and even hundreds of thousands of bricks space certainly becomes more of an issue than the bricks themselves.  I have a buddy who owns a rather large BL store, where he regularly has around 350,000 at any given point in time.  Now, he needs a little extra space for organizing, sorting, etc but for 350,000 pieces he has to rent like an 1000 square foot building just to house and display all his bricks.  I can only imagine what 1 million would be like in terms of storage space, building space, etc.  Blakbird has been kind enough to show us pics not just of individual sets, but also pics of all his models (or some of them) together.  Such pics give one the idea how much space Lego, in mass quantities, can take up.  We always talk about the cost of Lego itself, but honestly, I think the cost of housing enormous collections can get as costly, or close to, as the Lego itself.  

I am Military so my family moves often.  This will not be the case in just a few years.  We have been saving for our dream home for many many years and I am excited because that house will have a "Lego Room" that will rival my 6oo square foot shed that I currently build in, and will a much better place to store my collection.  Right now of which it sits around 60-80,000 pieces.  

49 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

To compliment this post I think a different, but related question might be where do you store all your bricks?

Although my 10k parts collection isn't that big, I did need quite some space to store them, especially with the way I used to store them: every part type in a different compartment of a storage box, sometimes also separated by color. However, as I sometimes build close to my work during early morning hours and during lunch breaks, I want to be able to move my complete collection around easily. So recently I decided to mix parts together in 4 bigger boxes; 1 with all kinds of pins, bushes, short axles (< 7L) and other small parts.; 1 with all kinds of connectors, wheel hubs, steering links and other special parts; 1 with all kinds of gears, driving rings, longer axles and thin liftarms; 1 with thick liftarms and frames. This works great for me - I actually like this better than having all these separate compartments - and all fits in a sports bag together with a 1:9 scale supercar-like build :wink:.

49 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

We have been saving for our dream home for many many years and I am excited because that house will have a "Lego Room" that will rival my 6oo square foot shed that I currently build in, and will a much better place to store my collection.  Right now of which it sits around 60-80,000 pieces.  

That's a nice prospect!

Edited by Didumos69

4 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Although my 10k parts collection isn't that big, I did need quite some space to store them, especially with the way I used to store them: every part type in a different compartment of a storage box, sometimes also separated by color. However, as I sometimes build close to my work during early morning hours and during lunch breaks, I want to be able to move my complete collection around easily. So recently I decided to mix parts together in 4 bigger boxes; 1 with all kinds of pins, bushes, short axles (< 7L) and other small parts.; 1 with all kinds of connectors, wheel hubs, steering links and other special parts; 1 with all kinds of gears, driving rings, longer axles and thin liftarms; 1 with thick liftarms and frames. This works great for me - I actually like this better than having all these separate compartments - and all fits in a sports bag together with a 1:9 scale supercar-like build :wink:.

That's a nice prospect!

Yea, a lot of my question has to do with how one's collection is stored.  If just thrown in boxes, then storage space I guess would not be that much.  But if organized, a several hundred thousand pieces would take up a mini-warehouse. If you go to the home page of BL, there is a little story about a store here in Texas, USA; "Ace of Bricks."  Looking at the pic on  BL's homepage, one can get an idea of how much bricks the store has and the space needed to house them all.  And these pieces are not just stored, but organized, etc.  The store advertises its piece count as just under 1 million.  So..... this gives you an idea of what some member's spare part collection looks like and the space needed to house it all.  

On 3/19/2017 at 10:34 AM, LvdH said:

Now I am wondering how much Blakbird has... :grin:

I certainly have over a million parts, but they are pretty much all assembled.  In loose parts I'm sure I have less than a thousand if you ignore pins.

ReBrickable says I have about 40,000 black pins, and about 100,000 if you include all pin types.

12 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I have about 10,000 parts and the only set I own is 42056 (2704 parts). So about 7.5k spare parts. 15 month ago I had nothing

Wow, @Didumos69, I didn't know you were that relatively new, looking at the technical quality of your Porsche MODs and your current rugged supercar MOC. :thumbup:

Happy to hear this; I thought I was the only "old nerd" :wink: that got attracted into LEGO again by the Porsche and in a short while (approx. 4 months) gathered quite some additional parts (counting ~ 5.000 now)...  

Edited by brickhank

19 minutes ago, brickhank said:

Wow, @Didumos69, I didn't know you were that relatively new, looking at the technical quality of your Porsche MODs and your current rugged supercar MOC. :thumbup:

Happy to hear this; I thought I was the only "old nerd" :wink: that got attracted into LEGO again by the Porsche and in a short while (approx. 4 months) gathered quite some additional parts (counting ~ 5.000 now)...  

you're not the only returning old fan ;)

now about pins ... back in the day i had lots of grey pins,  but all new models only seem to include black ones.

2 minutes ago, Sprites said:

now about pins ... back in the day i had lots of grey pins,  but all new models only seem to include black ones.

From 1977-1981 the gray pin was the only pin.  The black friction pin was introduced in 1982, but it did not replace the gray version.  The frictionless gray pin still exists but it is only used for rotating joints, not for structural connections.

So if your definition of "new models" is after 1982, then you are right about those black pins!

1 hour ago, Blakbird said:

I certainly have over a million parts, but they are pretty much all assembled.  In loose parts I'm sure I have less than a thousand if you ignore pins.

ReBrickable says I have about 40,000 black pins, and about 100,000 if you include all pin types.

Your have a pretty big house then ;)

my Lego shed is 226 square feet, according to rebrickable about 75k of set parts ( built ) and my bricklink currently has 15K of parts for sale.

its hard to go and build a moc and not eat into parts and profits for adding to the bricklink.

I have about 300k of sorted parts by color and type. Even though it looks organized it can take some time to find exactly what your looking for...half the fun is knowing you ave those tires but do I have the wheels to go with them!! All the new supercars in 1:10 scale sure can eat up a lot of parts!!

About 7000 spare Technic parts for MOCing (not including the black pins). The rest of my technic parts are all in my big sets. My collection is always growing with Bricklink orders and cheap sets from Ebay. If I count System pieces, I can get to the 15000s.

How many spare parts do I have? Actually I don't count them but I can say (as most of us here) not enough :grin:

Probably some 20k or even more. Specially now when LEGO introduced tractor tires, so my main models will be disassembled... all but Unimog Implement carrier (this model has "proper" tires)

Edited by I_Igor

Probably between 40 and 60k, some are set, but the biggest bulk comes from bricklink and LUGBULKs

My collection is probably about 9,000 pieces (most of that is from 42043 and 42055, plus some MINDSTORMS stuff and other random parts). I don't keep anything assembled - as soon as I finish a MOC, I take pictures, then salvage it for the next build.

HI

My first post! Yeah! Started technic about a year or so ago. have about 14500 parts. Sets I own are 42009, 42024,42043, 42054, 42055, 42030. Have noticed how collecting parts becomes like an obsession!!! It's taking over the spare room! 

Brickset tells me I have 65000 parts in sets alone, but <1000 in actual spare parts.

I wonder how many of those are pins...