Sign in to follow this  
richiejwalker

UCS B-Wing 10227

Has anyone Bricklinked the parts for the UCS B-Wing? I'm planning on doing it soon and wondered if there were any hard to find parts or obvious part swaps to make.

I picked one up on ebay about 4 months ago for £200. It had been built and dissasembled, but it ws all present and came in the original box with instructions. I don't think there's anything particularly rare in its construction, so maybe it can be bricklinked for less.

MSRP on this set was $200.00 and was released in 2012. In 2013 during the 4th of May Star Wars sale, Lego had them on sale for 50% off and there was a real buying frenzy! It was officially retired shortly there after. Despite the short run of this set, it has never done that well on the re-sale Market. Most people site the fact that it only had 2.7 seconds of screen time in ROTJ for this lack of interest. Lowest price of Brickset, currently, for a new one is $288.00 and a used one is $250.00. If you bought the used one, it would be 16 cents a piece. I doubt you could BL it for much less considering multiple vendors and shipping costs. 

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=10227-1&ColorID=0

This Brickset database will tell you which parts are unique and rare. Part #50967 was unique at the time of release bit has since been release in 2 other sets.

http://brickset.com/sets/10227-1/B-Wing-Starfighter

Hope this helps you out!

Thanks guys

I'm going to bricklink one. I have a large proportion of the parts already and will use my older/secondhand parts where they can't be seen. I think i already have half the parts or there about. Just wondered if there were any major stumbling blocks.

Bricklinked mine last year... was a little cheaper than original (about 150€) but I changed a lot of details (mainly the cockpit) anyway so I didn't bother with an original set.

Is the UCS B-wing minifig scale or larger? I've awlays liked the look of the set but it strikes me as much larger than minifig scale

It seems to be roughly the same scale as the tie fighter and X-wing, about 1.5 times system/minifig scale

I have this set though I haven't built it yet... but in the video reviews I've watched, placing a minfig in the cockpit looks more proportional than the UCS X-Wing or TIE. I'm inclined to say it's close to minifig scale... the "actual" B-Wing appears to have been quite large, if you put much stock in the DK cross-section illustrations and such.

10 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I have this set though I haven't built it yet... but in the video reviews I've watched, placing a minfig in the cockpit looks more proportional than the UCS X-Wing or TIE. I'm inclined to say it's close to minifig scale... the "actual" B-Wing appears to have been quite large, if you put much stock in the DK cross-section illustrations and such.

I don't have the set but i think it's about 82 studs long (wide). The b-wing is listed as 16.9 metres long in star wars. With my personal scale I make every 4 studs equal 1 metre. This means that a regular minifig (just head, body and legs, which itself is 5 studs tall) is only 1.25 metres tall (for me personally, i don't worry about considering a minifig as being a regular human height because obviousl the proportions don't match up. so i just pretend that people in lego are all really stubby and oddly proportioned - which they are. also,  like to put 1x1 plates underneath minifig legs to simulate boots/shoes and minifigs often wear headpieces or hair elements which add to their height - normally this makes them about 6 studs tall instead of 5, and means that these taller minifigs are closer to 5ft tall or 1.50 metres, so the scale is more like 1:32).

So with this "minifigure scale", which isn't a uniform concept at all anyway, the B-wing in lego-metres is still 20.5 metres long, 3.6 metres too long. Pretty big and that with a scale that most people would consider much bigger than usual.

If you take a basic minifig (just head body and legs) to be 183cm tall, that's about 1stud=0.367m so 1:46. In this version of "minifigure scale", the 10227 is 31 metres long. Way too big, 14.1 metres too big.

this is a pretty long comment but you get the idea. Because minifigs aren't proportioned like people, you can't make an appropriate scale for minifigs. Instead you have to discard one dimension in favour of another, and this is why the "minifigure scale" concept as a concrete thing is kind of foolish really - anyone can decide if they think the head, legs, total height, total width, hand size, etc. is what you should scale everything to