Sign in to follow this  
MariusL

[MOC] Articulated Off-Highway Transporter with Paper Plane Launching Unit

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

I like to show you my articulated off-highway transporter with the Mobile Paper Plane Launching Unit (MPPLU).

32664649503_6c0a5e90eb_b.jpg

The features of the vehicle are:

-          Articulated Off-Highway vehicle with pendulum axles

-          Large cab with little kitchen and 2 beds

-          Large storage hold for tools at the rear of the cab

-          Powerful winch for Self-loading capability of different platform- or skid-mounted equipment

Features of the mobile paper plane launching unit:

-          Catapult 24 studs long for paper planes format A6 and A7

-          Knuckle boom crane

-          Telemetry boom

-          Large hold for accessory

-          Control room

-          Motorcycle

32635542924_6ff785a49b_b.jpg

For the transporter the articulated, terra-tired wheeled carriers from Foremost, for example Delta 3 or Commander C, inspired me.

33350662821_67f6dd431f_b.jpg

33350665661_765865fdb1_b.jpg

With the help of the winch, the vehicle is capable to self-load different types of platform-mounted Equipment.

32664670433_df2d5bf52a_b.jpg

Usually the winch is located on the platform but I found one old photo of a Foremost Delta 3 were the winch is located in the aft of the front carriage, right in front of the Joint.

The cab is equipped with three seats, a little kitchen and a folding double bed.

33437873726_5c74266fb3_b.jpg

Beside the MPPLU there exists a simple platform with rear live roll for transport operations, for example parts for the cable crane.

Pendulum axles

33478900655_e55f555a9c_b.jpg

the rear live roll

33437876796_82aefa7a6c_b.jpg

The MPPLU is skid-mounted and consists of the starter, the control room, the engine room, a boom with tracking equipment, a crane and storage space.

33478839915_dcb988cd57_b.jpg

Plenty of space in the control room. The table can be used as a bed too.

33322850272_2ed814ed89_z.jpg

The starter can be dismounted easily and makes a lot of fun as handheld paper plane catapult.

33437829136_534645fc8f_b.jpg

The vehicle is optimized for playability and no scale model.

Loaded with a skid mounted tank

32664627933_21e1f11375_b.jpg

Erecting a skid mounted tank

33437827246_48cbef9179_b.jpg

More photos you can see on flickr.

I am interested what you think!

Kind regards
Mario

The paperplane launhcing aspect of it is totaly awesome!

I would love to have seen this in minifig scale. Now it is to big for my taste

Great idea, I like the modularity of your vehicle and the technic functions (pendulum axes) in a not so technic looking vehicle. :thumbup:

@ all: Thanks for your feedback!

@ SollX: What do you mean with Minifig scale? 4, 6, 7 or 8  wide? The truck is approx. 1:40, that means the Minifig would be 1,68 m tall.

5 minutes ago, MariusL said:

@ all: Thanks for your feedback!

@ SollX: What do you mean with Minifig scale? 4, 6, 7 or 8  wide? The truck is approx. 1:40, that means the Minifig would be 1,68 m tall.

yes i do mean 6-8 wide. that is minifig scale. and no it is not a real scale. 
i grew up with lego system so everything that doesnt fit a standard lego city is to big for me.

still tour truck looks really good.

The designated goal of this vehicle was to build something bigger than 6-8 wide.

By the way the cab is 8 wide and so far minifig scale. The rest is a bit wider, similar to the real Foremost Commander. 

P.s.: I grew up with a "minifig scale" of 4 wide trucks and in my opinion this still would be the best for little children. 

That's brilliant!! The plane launcher is a great idea and I love the control room too... not too sold on all the yellow (some black detailsmight break it up a bit?) though but that"s just being picky!!

Excellent stuff!

I love the playability of this MOC, and the technic-esque pendular axles and HOG steering. How about going all the way, and adding a driven fake engine somewhere? :tongue:

@ Greg3: I don't wanted to build it too colourful because many of the origin trucks are single-coloured. I experimented as well with black as second colour (you’re right it looked very well) but inspired by the colour scheme one of my first sets (No. 387) I decided to use red for stairs and hand rails to break up this yellow monotony.

@ ColletArrow: Thank you for the (for me new) abbreviation HOG J - I love it. For the Minifigs it must be as if their vehicles were driven by the “hand of god”. In a german forum I called this kind of steering “Manual Top Drive”.

By the way the elevation of the launcher is driven by a worm gear and the grey air intake on the rear of the Container.